Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aston Martin Styling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is just a design cue that might have an opportunity to be enhanced, clearly no functional need there though.

I keep remembering that one line in the otherwise glowing Motor Trend article:
"Former GM design boss Wayne Cherry, a consultant judge this year, summed up the exterior design theme of the Model S as "somewhat safe and conservative," but noted the beautifully executed design-enhancing proportions, the excellent stance and gesture, and the harmony and grace of its lines. His only criticism? "The front end is a missed opportunity to establish brand identity."

The grille is that one place, and AM does it so well here, where I'd love a stylistic piece of beauty on the MS a bit improved over the current somewhat neutral (and unassuming) nose cone design...

Also, I'm guessing that a grille that allows airflow is necessary for other cars but not for the electric Model S :confused:

It is just a design cue that might have an opportunity to be enhanced, clearly no functional need there though.

The Tesla nose cone was the one design element that I was least enthusiastic about. At first I thought there was no need for it and Tesla should have made it an integral part of the front of the car. However, now I've gotten used to it and I now see that it does have a function. Providing access to the 12 volt charging cables. It also provides a good place to hide a transponder. Perhaps most importantly it is the part of the car (besides the rims) that is most likely to get damaged. Having a replaceable nose cone in this area will save BIG BUCKS.

I agree with others that I would have been even more unhappy with the design if it were a big, air catching fake grill. I do wonder how my car would look with a nose cone that matched my body color, or perhaps if it were fashioned out of carbon fiber.

Larry

It also provides a good place to hide a transponder.

I do wonder how my car would look with a nose cone that matched my body color, or perhaps if it were fashioned out of carbon fiber.

Larry

Also planning on radar detector mount up there (wired to, controlled, and installed/concealed perhaps into my CCI) so that is a good functional use of the nose cone for sure...

But, CF (as an example) can look pretty good in my opinion, not as stunning as AM but certainly enhanced and more of a front grille "statement"... There are some revealing photos of it over on this thread:
Opinion on carbon fiber wrap for nose cone and rear valance - Page 3