Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AT&T is having network issues in DC metro (elsewhere?) 8/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I went to turn on the A/C using the Tesla app and it reported it was waking my car. That's unusual, as I have the "stay connected" option selected, and I was in an area with coverage. The app was never able to connect.

Got to the car and google maps wouldn't update and slacker wasn't working. UI said I was in 3G (also odd). I rebooted. After a long while, the car reconnected with LTE. Google maps and slacker still wouldn't work. I then turned on my verizon hotspot and connected the car. Everything started working right away.

A google search reveals a few articles about AT&T having problems two days ago (8/13). I haven't seen anything for today -- yet.

Andrew
Note to mods: I couldn't figure out where to place this thread. It's not Model S or X specific, it's not about Tesla Motors, etc. I think several of the S and X areas could be combined into one. The UI is 99% the same between the two cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Apparently Tesla is reporting that it is an internal issue, however only cars connected via the WAN (AT&T/North America) seem to be impacted. If you connected via WiFi everything is fine. It sounds like it's a back-end connection problem between AT&T and Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Out here in Modesto, CA trying to pre-cool my vehicle and cannot connect... #ThirdWorldProblems

Are the vehicles setup with ESN #'s and registered direct with At&t or is data being routed to the vehicles through Tesla? Someone has to be gathering all this good data.

I happened to be at the Fremont service center today at 5 pm. I heard several people call to report their LTE/data connection not working their cars. The service reps were saying, we're experiencing a whole network issue. It's not fixed yet, but the engineers are working on it.