Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlanta Toll Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having recently moved back to Atlanta after what was essentially a 2 year paid vacation in Charleston (man we miss that place!), I’m trying to determine if I can still use my Tesla to ride free in the I-85 toll lanes thru Gwinnett County. Previously, as long as we had the AFV plate we could set our Peach Pass to non toll mode and enjoy those lanes free of charge. But I seem to recall the legislature was considering ending that perk because of the growth of EVs in Atlanta and because, ya know, money. Searched the Peach Pass website to no avail and searched this site but couldn’t find a definitive answer. If @ChrisC or any other Atlanta area super users know the latest on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Having recently moved back to Atlanta after what was essentially a 2 year paid vacation in Charleston (man we miss that place!), I’m trying to determine if I can still use my Tesla to ride free in the I-85 toll lanes thru Gwinnett County. Previously, as long as we had the AFV plate we could set our Peach Pass to non toll mode and enjoy those lanes free of charge. But I seem to recall the legislature was considering ending that perk because of the growth of EVs in Atlanta and because, ya know, money. Searched the Peach Pass website to no avail and searched this site but couldn’t find a definitive answer. If @ChrisC or any other Atlanta area super users know the latest on this I would greatly appreciate it.
The Peach Pass and AFV plate will still get you the free and glorious ride in Gwinnett. None of the other toll lanes are free. The plate itself costs about the same, but that inescapable $200+ EV tax just keeps getting bigger.

It's so complicated that I created an entire web page about it, with the help of local Tesla owners:

Here's the summary from the bottom of that page:

Summary: By now your eyes have certainly glazed over. But fortunately the result of all this can be summarized as follows:

1. If you want to take advantage of the EV perk, you have to get an AFV tag.

2. Know the different HOV/HOT/express lanes in metro Atlanta. Some of them are free, some are not. Some require a PeachPass account and transponder, some do not.

3. When you set up your PeachPass account, set it up as a regular account, not a toll-exempt account. Then, for the transponder(s) used in your electric car(s), set them to non-toll mode, using the PeachPass website or smartphone app. Finally, the I-75 express lanes aren’t free for EVs, but you don’t need to worry about changing the toll mode when driving in them.

Click the link above for the full explanation.

The state legislature hasn't changed anything. And they may not be able to, because there are EPA-driven reasons why the state must continue to offer these perks. Politicians can and do grandstand but the legislation never materializes. atlanta epa nonattainment - Google Search

As I recall reading somewhere, this is the case through 2025. At that time it will be reconsidered and may no longer be free. But for now with the AFV plate and the Peach Pass transponder set to exempt mode I-85 is still no charge.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Current rules:

In Georgia, all pure electric vehicles pay a mandatory Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) fee annually. As of July 1, 2022 it is $210.96 and changes a bit each year. The AFV fee is meant to collect from EVs the equivalent of the average Gasoline Road Tax paid by ICE cars, but there is much debate as to its fairness. Both the Gasoline Road Tax and the AFV fee go to the Georgia Highway Trust Fund. The AFV fee does not grant you any privileges.

If you pay the AFV fee you can request an AFV license plate - this is optional. You will pay a one time plate manufacturing fee of $25 plus you will pay an annual Special Tag Fee of $35 (in addition to the normal car registration fee of $20). As is the case for most speciality plates, the special tag fees goes to the State Treasury. The AFV plate allows you to drive in HOV lanes as a sole occupant.

If you have an AFV plate AND you have a PeachPass, and you have the car set to non-toll mode, then you can drive in the I-85 northeast HOT / Express lanes for free. You still pay to use all of the other Express lanes.

Yes, this is a special thing outside the EZ-Pass network. NC, GA and FL toll transponders are all compatible. Whichever pass you have will work with all three states. If I use my GA Peach Pass on the Florida turnpike, Florida sends a bill to Georgia, Georgia charges my Peach Pass account and then sends the money back to Florida.

It would be great if all states would come up with a single technology and billing platform. The web site still says Q2 2022 for EZ-Pass but obviously that isn't right.