Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Atlantic Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are SCs in NS, but they are just not in the northern part of the province. If you go from NB to Halifax then you will hit the one at Elmsdale. But they should have them in New Glasgow or Antigonish, and also on Cape Breton.
Amen to that. Tesla does understand the need, they’ve had multiple proposed locations on the supercharger map (Westville exit off 102, Auld’s Cove, Baddeck) but they’ve all disappeared. It would be nice to hear from Tesla on what their current challenges are for setting up sites in the Maritimes. I recognize that plans can change, especially when you have to partner with other businesses for locations (such as Irving), so just some transparency on what is happening behind the scenes would be appreciated. Many of us are patiently waiting for some decent fast charging, and based on my Flo experience as of recent, Superchargers are definitely the answer

Reactions: Marcram74
HUGE news! Makes me think that partners may have been the problem for the delays: it makes me suspicious that the Digby and Yarmouth locations are both Canadian Tires franchised by the same person 🧐🧐 why else pit in two locations roighly an hour apart?

I’m sure it’s harder work for Tesla to find more local partners vs bigger corporate contacts, but it might be our only hope for the NG/Antigonish/Strait area location, as well as something along the trans-canada for the cabot trail drivers and those heading to Sydney, and windows, and those that n

This is so very frustrating. We returned last week from a visit to family living in Baddeck and Sydney. Charging, both destination and enroute, is almost as challenging now as it was four years ago when we first attempted it. A few minutes from our home in Maine, Brewer has hosted a Tesla Supercharger for several years and the nearby city of Bangor is installing another SC only eight KM away. Bangor also offers roughly five non-Tesla L3 units. The population of the greater Bangor metro area is roughly seventy thousand. Cape Breton's populaton of one hundred thousand has NO Supercharger options and, according to Plugshare, there are fewer than 5 non-Tesla L3s located on the island. Four years ago it was an adventure finding places to charge while making our annual visit home with our new EV. Now its just a pain.

I just finished a month road-trip towing a trailer in my MX. The lack of Level 3 in NS, especially Cape Breton, is surprising. I could not have done the trip without Chademo. Most chargers had waits, and some Chads were only 25kw, not 50!

I charged a lot at campgrounds with 50A.

In driving in 25 states and five provinces I’ve never had to wait at a SC. I had waits at about half my Flo charges, sometimes for two cars.

We had a great time, nonetheless.

I understand your frustration. Born and raised in Saint John New Brunswick - used to live in Charleston South Carolina. Driving my early 2016 model S back to New Brunswick was extremely challenging and I had to use a Chademo at the Nissan in Bangor before the superchargers were built out. So, I totally understand the frustration of waiting for infrastructure.

That said, I do want to make a point that charger location has almost nothing to do with population, size of the city, and everything to do with where that city is located. The Tesla supercharger network was built out to enable long-distance travel. I've travelled across Canada four times this year and I can tell you there are supercharges in places with VERY little population anywhere around for the most part. Tiny tiny towns. (Northern Ontario, I'm looking at you...) They need to focus on where we need to build chargers in order to travel where we need to go and not necessarily the density of the population of the city that the chargers are located in.

I know for a fact that Tesla monitored driver travel in the early days, and that's how they decided priorities for superchargers. Where was the fleet going? How are they getting there? Certainly that has changed now to more obvious expansions to more remote areas and capacity upgrades.

I have no doubt that the rest of Nova Scotia will be built out to enable travel freely and easily. Just as is happening in New Brunswick. Newfoundland is another story, but I can see them putting something in the St. John's area for sure.

When I look back to the early days of driving a Tesla to what we have today, it's absolutely stunning. The difference in freedom to travel. And I know it's a little patience, these other gaps will get filled in before we know it.

I understand your frustration. Born and raised in Saint John New Brunswick - used to live in Charleston South Carolina. Driving my early 2016 model S back to New Brunswick was extremely challenging and I had to use a Chademo at the Nissan in Bangor before the superchargers were built out. So, I totally understand the frustration of waiting for infrastructure.

That said, I do want to make a point that charger location has almost nothing to do with population, size of the city, and everything to do with where that city is located. The Tesla supercharger network was built out to enable long-distance travel. I've travelled across Canada four times this year and I can tell you there are supercharges in places with VERY little population anywhere around for the most part. Tiny tiny towns. (Northern Ontario, I'm looking at you...) They need to focus on where we need to build chargers in order to travel where we need to go and not necessarily the density of the population of the city that the chargers are located in.

I know for a fact that Tesla monitored driver travel in the early days, and that's how they decided priorities for superchargers. Where was the fleet going? How are they getting there? Certainly that has changed now to more obvious expansions to more remote areas and capacity upgrades.

I have no doubt that the rest of Nova Scotia will be built out to enable travel freely and easily. Just as is happening in New Brunswick. Newfoundland is another story, but I can see them putting something in the St. John's area for sure.

When I look back to the early days of driving a Tesla to what we have today, it's absolutely stunning. The difference in freedom to travel. And I know it's a little patience, these other gaps will get filled in before we know it.

It would be great if they could install Superchargers that would be accessible inside and outside the ferry parking lot in North Sydney and Channel-Port aux Basques. (Some stalls on each side of the fence).

As you are killing time waiting to board the ferry, you can charge and be ready for when you get off the boat.

This is so very frustrating. We returned last week from a visit to family living in Baddeck and Sydney. Charging, both destination and enroute, is almost as challenging now as it was four years ago when we first attempted it. A few minutes from our home in Maine, Brewer has hosted a Tesla Supercharger for several years and the nearby city of Bangor is installing another SC only eight KM away. Bangor also offers roughly five non-Tesla L3 units. The population of the greater Bangor metro area is roughly seventy thousand. Cape Breton's populaton of one hundred thousand has NO Supercharger options and, according to Plugshare, there are fewer than 5 non-Tesla L3s located on the island. Four years ago it was an adventure finding places to charge while making our annual visit home with our new EV. Now its just a pain.
If you haven’t already voted for Auld’s Cove, please do! Was the #1 pick in the country when I voted so we may actually have a shot here folks!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻 https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/supercharger-voting/overview

Is it just me or is there something different (wrong?) about the two installations of Superchargers in Digby and Yarmouth, NS?

I don't have photos to post, but if you go on Plugshare for those two new sites, you will see some pics people have added of the chargers under construction. Notice the orientation of the cable posts. They are perpendicular to the curb, not parallel to the curb like any other site I've seen.

I checked several other new or "coming soon" sites in NA comparing photos posted and have not seen any with this type of orientation. Is this new? How is that suppose to work? Seems to me the cable would get twisted too much in order to reach the car, unlike any other site.

• Informative
Reactions: madmax240