Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ATT 3G Service Planned Shutdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Nobody bought a Tesla with the expectation that they would receive free premium connectivity forever, including any necessary hardware updates.

Nobody.

I'm sure some did which is likely a reason why Tesla added that "excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network" text to the website sometime this year. It wasn't there before.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'm sure some did which is likely a reason why Tesla added that "excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network" text to the website sometime this year. It wasn't there before.
Both our cars came with FUPC and I fully expect 5G upgrade to be gratis.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: JimmyB and jebinc
FWIW, I was notified by Tesla that my Powerwall 2 installation has 3G, and to be sure that it stays connected to WiFi. That was a bit of a shock, since these were only 3 1/2 years old.

I had a 2013 Model S, and I asked Tesla to upgrade to LTE when that became available. It was well worth it at the time. Using 3G today would seem absolutely glacial. Nobody should expect to get a free upgrade on a 9 year old car when other owners have been paying for the same upgrade for years.

Back in 2008 when analog cell service was decommissioned, GM offered an analog to digital conversion for OnStar customers who would otherwise lose OnStar access for a nominal fee (e.g. something like $15 or $20).

Now that the majority of OnStar users appear to be losing access as of Jan 1 2022, I haven't seen or heard any plans to offer the same kind of 3G -> LTE upgrade for those cars which is a shame.

Network technologies change over time. We will all be affected by this at some point because I am sure LTE will eventually go away to be replaced with 5G, 6G, 7H, whatever... Competition in the telecommunications industry drives a push for faster/newer technology which can only be sustained by repurposing existing bands.

That does not mean that Tesla has to foot the bill to enable their now 8-10 year old cars to be able to connect. They have provided an upgrade path in the form of MCU2 or LTE board (which already goes above and beyond what others do).

My first Model S was an 85D MCU1 w/LTE. At some point, Tesla service gave me a loaner (P85 MCU1 w/3G). I can most definitely confirm that maps will render faster with LTE than 3G speaking specifically about draw-in, satellite imagery, route calculations, etc..

Streaming services will also connect faster.

Nothing related to performance in the MCU (pinch/zoom, browser, etc....) will improve with the change from 3G to LTE.