Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replaced both my HV and LV batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving to pickup dinner on Sunday night and I noticed the “Acceleration and top speed reduced” message. No regen brakes and the car just felt/drove weird. Parked in front of the restaurant and grabbed the meal. Got back in to return home and got all these other messages with the worst one being “Unable to drive. Voltage supply too low”. Restarted the screen with the two button hold twice. It got worse. It got mad and completely shut down.
Called roadside and got a tow truck within an hour. It was a flat bed and the dude told me he had it from there and I could go home (it was 10pm Sunday night and I was hungry).
Got a call from Tesla 45 minutes later saying the tow truck driver was having "difficulties" and they wanted to know if I was still with the vehicle.
I said I'd be right there (thankfully it was 5min from home).
Midnight, this guy shows up with a regular tow truck and I didn't realize until now what those wheelie things are on the back but THOSE THINGS ARE COOL!!!
Anyways, they replaced the HV battery and LV battery both under warranty.
What other car manufacturer would have sent a tow truck on a Sunday night, provided me with a loaner the next day, let me swap the loaner the next day for an X because I wanted a larger vehicle and made all repairs within four days for $0????
Hopefully my range doesn't suffer but honestly I'm just super-pumped Tesla came through the way they did.

IMG_3134.jpeg

IMG_3137.jpeg
IMG_3150.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 83
I wish I had a similar experience. After I supercharged my 2018 Model S 100D on Sun, 8 Oct I got several error messages like yours (see screenshots). I tried rebooting the car but nothing worked so I had to get it towed to the nearest Service Center and the 1st available appt was 25 Oct. When I called them on Tue to get an update, they said that the HV battery pack was ordered with no ETA. The app has no quote yet so I'm unsure what battery pack was ordered e.g. refurbished 100 kWh battery or what. I'm in the research phase now on all these message boards to see how everyone else's experience has been as this is my first issue I've had since owning this car. I'm so glad yours was fixed quickly! Do you know if Tesla replaced your HV pack with a brand new or refurbished battery?

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: GSP
I wish I had a similar experience. After I supercharged my 2018 Model S 100D on Sun, 8 Oct I got several error messages like yours (see screenshots). I tried rebooting the car but nothing worked so I had to get it towed to the nearest Service Center and the 1st available appt was 25 Oct. When I called them on Tue to get an update, they said that the HV battery pack was ordered with no ETA. The app has no quote yet so I'm unsure what battery pack was ordered e.g. refurbished 100 kWh battery or what. I'm in the research phase now on all these message boards to see how everyone else's experience has been as this is my first issue I've had since owning this car. I'm so glad yours was fixed quickly! Do you know if Tesla replaced your HV pack with a brand new or refurbished battery?
@Tdblanchard @Laconic Rage In the majority of cases on earlier Model S's, Tesla replaced with remanufactured packs. Not sure how newer Teslas are handled. I case you need it, here's how to read pack label.

First pic is location of pack label just behind the right front tire. After you get down on the ground, look up and it'll be right there. (not my car, just a stock photo)
Second pic is a Tesla reman pack label. The T13G0017312R1 serial number means it's originally a July (G is 7th letter in the alphabet) 2013 pack that has been remanufactured once - T13G and R1. That said, one cannot tell from Tesla's label when the reman was done. Could be anytime from 2013 to when it was placed in the car.
If there is no "R" after the "T" serial number, then you have an original pack built on the year/month indicated.
Third pic is my original pack label for my 2012 P85 and out of pocket new replacement pack built in Oct 2022.

385434110_10230892232665202_8167489619057806560_n.jpg383349605_10230892235705278_3083027576263117984_n.jpg383237887_10230892237705328_5454571003550971596_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FireFighterHil
@Tdblanchard @Laconic Rage In the majority of cases on earlier Model S's, Tesla replaced with remanufactured packs. Not sure how newer Teslas are handled. I case you need it, here's how to read pack label.

First pic is location of pack label just behind the right front tire. After you get down on the ground, look up and it'll be right there. (not my car, just a stock photo)
Second pic is a Tesla reman pack label. The T13G0017312R1 serial number means it's originally a July (G is 7th letter in the alphabet) 2013 pack that has been remanufactured once - T13G and R1. That said, one cannot tell from Tesla's label when the reman was done. Could be anytime from 2013 to when it was placed in the car.
If there is no "R" after the "T" serial number, then you have an original pack built on the year/month indicated.
Third pic is my original pack label for my 2012 P85 and out of pocket new replacement pack built in Oct 2022.

View attachment 982117View attachment 982118View attachment 982119
@NV Ray Thanks for sharing the great info! Thanks and hopefully the refurbished/remanufactured battery pack that the Service Center will install lasts longer than the 5 years of the original battery pack installed in Aug 2018. By the way, does the 8 year HV battery pack warranty start when Tesla's vehicle manufactured date or the date I bought the vehicle? Lastly, if this replacement battery dies after the 8 year warranty, how much should I expect to pay out of pocket to replace? Thanks again for all your help.

@NV Ray Thanks for sharing the great info! Thanks and hopefully the refurbished/remanufactured battery pack that the Service Center will install lasts longer than the 5 years of the original battery pack installed in Aug 2018. By the way, does the 8 year HV battery pack warranty start when Tesla's vehicle manufactured date or the date I bought the vehicle? Lastly, if this replacement battery dies after the 8 year warranty, how much should I expect to pay out of pocket to replace? Thanks again for all your help.
The original 8 year HV battery pack warranty is good for the original 8 years of the car's original purchase date. i.e. a 2015 purchased/delivered/received in May 2015 would have expired last May.

A replacement pack solution can range from $7k-$20k. Low end is a 3rd party remanufactured pack. Middle is Tesla reman. High end is Tesla brand new.

...By the way, does the 8 year HV battery pack warranty start when Tesla's vehicle manufactured date or the date I bought the vehicle? ....
You can view the exact date that Tesla believes your warranty expires in the phone app. I think there is an "info" tab next to "upgrades" tab, but not sure. I would start there.

GSP

Less than 19k miles. Was there any warning? Range estimate when full never changed?
Unfortunately, there was no prior warning. As the only owner of this vehicle, I followed the recommended charging patterns e.g keep it plugged when not using it; charge to 100% only for long drives otherwise it's set to 90%; precondition the battery prior to supercharging by entering the supercharger location in the navi, etc. I don't even supercharge often and this incident occurred after supercharging w/no prior warning. I've had about 6% battery degradation with 292 miles of range at 100% charge. I'm wondering if the supercharger stall I was using caused the issue as it stopped charging 2x during the 15 minutes we were there. I did get a message both times when it stopped charging. Otherwise no warnings. Hopefully, this remanufactured/refurbished HV battery replacement lasts longer than the 5 years of the OEM battery (fingers crossed) since my battery limited warranty will expire in Mar 2027 (thanks @GSP & @NV Ray for telling me where to find it in the app).

As of this AM, service center's update is that they will complete the replacement today (11 days after dropping it off). The invoice in the app doesn't show the S/N of the remanufactured/refurbished HV battery so thanks to NV Ray's tip, I'll have to go under the car to find the battery pack label to see when and how many times the pack has been reman/refurbished. But at least this happened while still under warranty.

Thanks again for all your help and info!

Reactions: GSP
Unfortunately, there was no prior warning. As the only owner of this vehicle, I followed the recommended charging patterns e.g keep it plugged when not using it; charge to 100% only for long drives otherwise it's set to 90%; precondition the battery prior to supercharging by entering the supercharger location in the navi, etc. I don't even supercharge often and this incident occurred after supercharging w/no prior warning. I've had about 6% battery degradation with 292 miles of range at 100% charge. I'm wondering if the supercharger stall I was using caused the issue as it stopped charging 2x during the 15 minutes we were there. I did get a message both times when it stopped charging. Otherwise no warnings. Hopefully, this remanufactured/refurbished HV battery replacement lasts longer than the 5 years of the OEM battery (fingers crossed) since my battery limited warranty will expire in Mar 2027 (thanks @GSP & @NV Ray for telling me where to find it in the app).

As of this AM, service center's update is that they will complete the replacement today (11 days after dropping it off). The invoice in the app doesn't show the S/N of the remanufactured/refurbished HV battery so thanks to NV Ray's tip, I'll have to go under the car to find the battery pack label to see when and how many times the pack has been reman/refurbished. But at least this happened while still under warranty.

Thanks again for all your help and info!
On Tesla's remanufactured packs, they historically give 80-85% of original EPA rated range. Also, remember when you get your car back that your display is on rated, not ideal. Ideal range is typically 10-15% higher than rated.