Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi etron in person, disappointing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean the range delta versus the Audi is 40 miles. It drives pretty terrible. Weighty on the front end, small inside, a bit sluggish for an electric vehicle, busy interior. Interior space is compromised. Kia/Hyundai twins are absolutely a retrofitted EV in every way.

The sales volumes show, as well. It looks like only a handful of dealers are even carrying them.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Stopped by the Audi dealer today. This is a high volume dealer owned by a large dealer conglomerate in Southern California.

Some interesting takes:

Sales guy was clueless about the car (“no it has just one motor”).
There were 11 of them on the lot, including three First Editions (all cancelled orders). He admitted they hadn’t sold any in the month of July.

I drove the car directly after driving our Model X then drove home in the X.

The e-tron is significantly quieter, more comfortable and smoother than the X. Doors close with a satisfying thunk. It’s large on the outside, small on the inside - legroom in the second row was lacking for our 6’ kids.

Lots o buttons on lots o screens. A bit overwhelming at first but not bad once you get acclimated.

“Auto steer” is simply lane keep assist.

I really wanted to like this car, and the sales guy really wanted to move it - offering a $5k discount on any of them without even asking - but the reality is this vehicle will have to be refreshed with longer range and higher performance in the medium term, and have significant incentives in the near term.

I suspect e-tron values will drift very quickly to the level of the Q5.

May I ask what dealer you were talking to? 5K off may be enough of a discount for me to buy one.

The Audi is just worlds ahead in refinement, but lacking in tech features despite a glitzy cabin.

The e-tron is the better car. The X is the better electric car.
I don't have any experience with the X but my S experience echoes this.

I still think the e-tron has some tech to enjoy, like the massaging seats I use daily and the "NightVision" IR camera and Matrix LED headlights that selectively light up pedestrians and other heat radiating organisms. The comfort seats that inflate the side bolsters after entering and deflate when parked are cool also, easy to enter but a snug fit.

I dislike the poor manual regen setting and the consumption at speed. DC Hyperchargers are already widespread in Europe via Ionity and others so DC charging is not an issue. The car is also a bit to heavy and a boring exterior.

Space: we can fit the same amount of stuff that we had in the S, and rear seats have the same room for the kids.(The X is a van/Espace,
not an SUV...) I like the e-tron a lot.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and Big Earl
Hmmm. I always looked at it as exposure to the elements just sitting on the lot and receiving a vehicle that many people potentially sat in and drove it before me.
I don't buy cars with >100 miles on them, they usually have less than 30. As for exposure, well, it's a car and built for it - most cars are not like Tesla where parts fail due exposure to oxygen and humidity (in this case I'm talking about the large screen in S/X which yellows when exposed to non-showroom conditions).

Trading in often loses more value than depreciation over that couple month waiting period. You can sell to vroom and the offer is good for I think a week.
I'm sorry, but I lost you there. No car appreciates over time (Elon's nonsense comments about appreciating Tesla's aside). Private party or trade-in, if you have to wait 2 months before selling, you lose money. As for trade-in vs. private party, you lose the sales tax credit, which is 10% in where I live (so trading in for $50K is the same as selling private party for $55K). In MI where you are google says it's 6% is limited to $5K, but it's still not negligible money. As for how depreciation can hit you, when I was buying my 2015 MS, I had the 2013 trade in. Tesla gave me an offer valid for 7 days but the new car would not be there for 8-12 weeks. 2 months later when the new car showed up, Tesla trade-in estimate went down by $10K, so $11K less in my pocket! If you are like Elon, and have a stable of cars to drive so you have something to drive if your new car arrives in a while (or if your car is stuck in service), this model works. When you're not Elon, and $11K is not pocket change to you, this model is less than ideal.

A 5k discount at this dealer would probably be worth your effort then.
If I wait a bit I'll get it here too. Main issue for me is I prefer the sedan ride (MS ruined me on that front, I didn't even buy the MX I was waiting for since 2013). Etron GT is coming, as is Taycan, we'll see if I hold out or cave in.

But I do agree that many people do like to drive off with one same day. And I feel that way too for a cheaper item I just want to get and go. For a much higher priced item, I prefer to order and get exactly what I want.
I usually don't have a problem getting what I want. There usually is a car in the configuration at one of the dealers within driving distance to me (I usually find the car first, then go to that dealer). Notice that Tesla no longer offers 100K possible combinations either, they are settling on just few option packages to choose from. I bought many cars in my life, only ever ordered 2 - Toyota 4Runner and Porsche 911C4 - first one was not in production yet so I pre-ordered, the latter there was no new cars in stock anywhere and a 6+ month wait list. In both cases by the way the dealer was able to predict and guarantee trade-in value 6-9 months ahead (with provisions of no accidents and no more than X miles driven).

Notice that Tesla no longer offers 100K possible combinations either, they are settling on just few option packages to choose from.

True. When I purchased mine, it was difficult to find my exact setup with existing g inventory since I wanted the premium ventilated seats, sun roof, interior, color, winter package, air suspension, etc. Now they have fewer options.

Last edited:
most cars are not like Tesla where parts fail due exposure to oxygen and humidity (in this case I'm talking about the large screen in S/X which yellows when exposed to non-showroom conditions).

Has anyone announced an official reason for the yellowing? I haven’t heard. I noticed mine (albeit pretty minor), in the spring after being stored in the garage all winter (dry conditions). So I don’t think we can assume outdoor humidity is the culprit.

Has anyone announced an official reason for the yellowing? I haven’t heard. I noticed mine (albeit pretty minor), in the spring after being stored in the garage all winter (dry conditions). So I don’t think we can assume outdoor humidity is the culprit.
Well, that depends on what you consider official. Do SC responses count? Tesla attorneys statements in arbitration depositions? Tesla doesn't have an official messaging channel, even stuff on their website changes or dissapears without a trace here and there. What do you consider official?

• Disagree
Well, that depends on what you consider official. Do SC responses count? Tesla attorneys statements in arbitration depositions? Tesla doesn't have an official messaging channel, even stuff on their website changes or dissapears without a trace here and there. What do you consider official?

I’m actually more excited for when you get your etron than even you are! Can’t wait!

Well....if the etron is as great as some people say and is selling so well, you may not get that.
They were willing to make a deal for 2 of them, but then the deal died as soon as it started because of the yellow screen Tesla refused to fix. That was when they had 3 total in inventory. Let the inventory build up a bit, and there will be deals to be had. Teslas were the only cars ever I bought at MSRP.

A service bulletin. By that point, a company usually has a pretty good understanding.
By that definition of "official communication", Tesla hasn't even officially admitted that the screens have a problem. Years after first yellowings occurred, not even an official admission that there is a problem - I guess all these service centers refusing to fix it are going off of unofficial or employee-only communications.

And you wonder why people have a problem with Tesla - no official communications for years, so employees make up their own stories (read the yellowing screen threads on the range of creative stories they have come up with - magic software fix coming "next update" and then give it 6 months for the software to start doing it's magic, magic light, magic pen, not covered under warranty because it's the driver's fault for exposing the screen to humidity and/or oxygen, etc, etc).

Teslas are amazing to drive, when they work. If you get a problem, and they do get problems more than established manufacturers, or an accident, you're in for a load of frustration (unless of course you got a bunch of them so you can drive another one for months while you car waits for parts and/or service).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
By that definition of "official communication", Tesla hasn't even officially admitted that the screens have a problem. Years after first yellowings occurred, not even an official admission that there is a problem - I guess all these service centers refusing to fix it are going off of unofficial or employee-only communications.

It seems they are grasping for straws at this time since it seems they don’t have a clear answer. If they did, there would probably be more consistency.