Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi going for broke...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think that brexit is being used to obsure the fact that UK car industry is some what lost in that it’s making cars that people cannot afford. take jlr, even their cheapest car is pretty much two whole years uk average gross salary. same must thus apply across the world. pricing themselves out of a market is never going to work long term.

huge demographics stuggling to buy houses, with bigeducational debts who really want more debt for a massive car that costs too much and is mostly about perceived status than effective transport.

Reactions: pow216
VW groups of vehicle manufactures hopefully will all close as they all cheated as well kill monkeys testing there polluting engines on them and it’s not just diesel it’s petrol engines as well. VW has also been found to be selling preproduction cars that should have been crushed and not sold to the public.

i agree thats exactly the point. vehicles are now specced so high that they cost too much to make and the uk cost base is massively above that of china india etc. it can only go one way. nobody really needs a status car, pitching into that space isn’t going to work long term. im afraid jlr look well lost to me making cars here to sell to china.

• Disagree
Reactions: MacPaul
Affordability and cars. They are built like this to sell credit, the car is just the asset based to sell loans. It's no coincidence that the credit arms of the big manufacturers make all the money and the manufacturing parts of the organisation barely make a profit.

It's kind of interesting that Tesla is only setup a basic commission back haul in the UK with 3rd parties.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
"The British Car Industry"

Please understand that this is only my opinion, but is based upon many years of observance and direct participation. I worked in the metal bashing industry from 1960 until 2007. Back in the sixties we had major manufacturers:-

1. Ford - owned by the US Ford
2. Vauxhall/Bedford - owned by the US GM
3. Rootes group - Humber, Hillman, Sunbeam, Singer, Commer & Karrier - British owned but eventually sold to Peugot France
4. Austin Motors, Morris Motors, Standard Triumph, Jaguar, Rover, Land Rover, Austin Healey, Morris Commercial - which pretty much all failed in different guises - BMC, Austin Rover etc etc and finally JLR

In addition there were many smaller business's - Rolls Royce, Bentley, Morgan, Bristol, Alvis, Reliant, Bond, TVR, Lotus, Jensen.

I was lucky enough to supply pretty much all of these companies with my product and my enduring memory of most of them is their arrogance and bullying. Successive bosses, unions and Governments managed to kill most of them off with their combined actions. Eventually, the Japanese manufacturers invaded with their more streamlined production methods and provided more attractive (subjective) alternatives which eventually resulted in the demise of 60-75% of those mainstream companies. Only those with a global demographic or a niche market had continued success.

Tesla, for me, is a breath of fresh air. Elon comes over as a bit of a clown at times and a genius at other times. How he has managed to sell his product which is expensive and of questionable build quality is completely beyond me, but he has. Not only that but he's so far ahead of the competition that 'quality' makers - Porsche, BMW, Audi (Auto Union as was) and Jaguar are attempting to compete and despite their vastly superior experience and funding are not really succeeding. The biggest difference for me is that Elon/Tesla are not arrogant or bullying in a business sense and even encourage and welcome the competition - and that is an astonishing business attitude.

The new truck reminds me of 'karts' that my friends and I would build in the 50's from a couple of pram axles, plywood and a bit of string for steering. Will it succeed - who knows - but if I were a betting man I'd say it will.

End of rant!:mad:

I really hope Audi start producing decent EVs soon. An A6 with decent range and performance would do it for me. Yes, I enjoy driving my M3P, but I miss the build quality, comfort and refinement that I’m used to. I’d like a car with matrix headlights that don’t lag, windscreen wipers that work properly, adaptive cruise control that doesn’t slam the brakes on for no reason, and traffic sign recognition. Is that too much to expect in a £50k+ car?

Reactions: Obliter8
It's just the same old bullshit.

They cut jobs because either
1) They need fewer people to make their cars OR
2) They're moving production so they need the jobs to be in different places

But they dress it up as "allows us to invest in X" because people tend to get upset either of the above, and the stock market wants to hear about investment in X,