Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Q4 e-tron VS Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q4: Exterior does look gorgeous Same with the interior as it looks more refined (personal opinion). Also, a huge plus is the federal tax rebate. However....

With MY, you get the supercharger infrastructure (might not matter much if you're going to do most of your charging at home), the quick acceleration (I didn't even get the performance upgrade), and the above-average resale value.

Biggest selling point for me was the OTA updates.

Besides, Tesla's been doing this for almost a decade now. Audi really only started a few years ago with the introduction of their 2019 e-tron. I don't believe that's selling too well.

Just my 2 cents....

Reactions: firerock
Also, the MY is largely based from M3 so you know what you're getting yourself into. The Q4 is still a concept car so either you risk being an early-adopter (assuming no delay in mass production) and dealing with all the potential issues or wait until 2022 until the issues have been addressed.

The car looks great in concept.
82 kWh battery pack powers the vehicle for up to 450 km (280 miles) based on the WLTP standard.
More power needed, less range.
Charging at home means just a few kWh more. Not a big deal. An extra 6 kWh is only about $1 more (at $0.15/kWh).
But charging it on a trip? Electrify America is part the VW's dieselgate penalty. However, VW is making it into a profit center, which I'm not sure but where is the penalty part? Using A Better Route Planner, compare possible trips you might want to make and the cost along the route. I use classic mode to get the charging cost.
A Better Routeplanner
The routes I planned out (before getting the Y) showed, for example:
ID.4 would cost roughly $174
XC40 would cost roughly $221
Model Y would cost $51
By doing this I also discovered, that some states are MUCH higher in charging costs than others.
Of course, it depends if you are going to take any long trips in your shiny new car.
And if the reports are correct on the Ford Mustang E dealer markups, how will Audi dealers do?

Reactions: rxlawdude
Wow, the car does look beautiful, and I really like interior console design. But, its a non-starter for me without supercharger network. Maybe in a few years, when non-Tesla fast chargers get better deployment, this will be viable ...

The e-tron Sportback looks really, really good. The interior seems a bit busy compared to the MY, but that's subjective and really personal. I'm sure the contact points and driving dynamics will be nice as well.

I'm looking forward to people comparing the two, and other EVs in the same market segment, when it's out.

I'm a huge fan of Audi (I have had a recent S5), and it's totally worth it if you really value the luxury and attention to detail. You get a perfect car on delivery, no QC issues really (and if so, it's rare). It's not a huge deal, but that's what you're getting.

My Audi was a luxury to drive. The MY is fantastic, very comfortable and has what I need, but it's missing that extra bit. I think that's really what it comes down to: if you care about the luxury over some of the more utility (supercharging network, better range, faster, etc).

I was just researching the e-tron today, too. I happened to find its online forum site. Owners have plenty of complaints and issues, though lots of praise, too. I noticed several mentioned that their problems could not be fixed by their local dealerships due to lack of knowledge or permission from Audi.

UI looks complicated compared to Tesla. I hate Audi’s infotainment, and it looks like they made no improvements there. Generally looks like a very nice car but not not as innovative or forward-looking as Tesla.

I drive a Q5 right now. I've been longing for the Q4 E-Tron for a couple years now. Had my mind set on it to replace the Q5... until I test-drove the 2019 E-Tron. It's plush, but the MMI (infotainment) still sucks and the interior design is pretty garish and complicated. I don't like it at all. It's diametrically opposite the spartan Model Y. But fit and finish are perfect, as to be expected. If you want the lux treatment, Audi delivers on the surface.

But, the Q5 is a high-maintenance vehicle. I can't believe the rash of problems this thing has had in its 170k mile lifespan. The list is as long as my arm. I thought German engineering was good, but it turns out its just over-complicated and there's more stuff to break. I'm not signing up for a Q4 with that prior history. Before the Q5 I had a Honda Accord that I put 260k on over 15 years it and had only ever had 3 minor problems late in life (stuck brake rotor, broken front axle and broken cruise control wire). "Upgrading" to the Audi from the Honda was a severe disappointment in the reliability department. And none of the Q5 issues were engine related, so I don't think the Q4 being an EV is really going to make it any better in terms of things breaking. I'm not expecting 2000-era Honda reliability from the MY, but I'm definitely expecting it to be better than the Audi. And Tesla is just SOOOO far ahead of Audi in terms of EV technology, it's no contest.

Not to mention the sales guys at my local Audi dealership are jackasses.

So I ordered the MY.

Also, the MY is largely based from M3 so you know what you're getting yourself into. The Q4 is still a concept car so either you risk being an early-adopter (assuming no delay in mass production) and dealing with all the potential issues or wait until 2022 until the issues have been addressed.
I'm a huge Tesla fan, but I can almost guarantee the Audi will not have as many issues as all the Tesla's.

I was just researching the e-tron today, too. I happened to find its online forum site. Owners have plenty of complaints and issues, though lots of praise, too. I noticed several mentioned that their problems could not be fixed by their local dealerships due to lack of knowledge or permission from Audi.

UI looks complicated compared to Tesla. I hate Audi’s infotainment, and it looks like they made no improvements there. Generally looks like a very nice car but not not as innovative or forward-looking as Tesla.
Besides the lack of supercharger network, this is the biggest thing keeping me from buying an EV from another brand. Audi/VW Group have taken the strongest stance on expanding their EV fleet and their salespeople and service centers still know almost nothing about EVs. My cousin is a service manager at VW and said that they will get E-Golfs that come in for "tune-ups" and the mechanics will tell them they cant find the spark plugs or find where to check the oil. Tesla service is far from perfect but they at least know what they're getting when a car comes in.

Not everyone wants to have the enthusiast experience and scour forums to fix their issues because the brand can't support their owners.

Besides the lack of supercharger network, this is the biggest thing keeping me from buying an EV from another brand. Audi/VW Group have taken the strongest stance on expanding their EV fleet and their salespeople and service centers still know almost nothing about EVs. My cousin is a service manager at VW and said that they will get E-Golfs that come in for "tune-ups" and the mechanics will tell them they cant find the spark plugs or find where to check the oil. Tesla service is far from perfect but they at least know what they're getting when a car comes in.

Not everyone wants to have the enthusiast experience and scour forums to fix their issues because the brand can't support their owners.

Its not just Audi/VW - I'm pretty sure Ford will have similar problem with Mach-E and their dealerships. They barely have any clue how to handle their hybrids and those have been sold for over a decade.

To be fair - Tesla owners have to scour forums also for issue resolution (buffeting, etc.), though at least issues not related to drive train.

Not everyone wants to have the enthusiast experience and scour forums to fix their issues because the brand can't support their owners

Roger that. I will say thank god for the AudiWorld forums... without the trove of technical knowledge shared there my repair bills would have been in the thousands. I can't imagine owning an Audi and not being a DIY-er. I just hope Tesla forums develop to s similar extent on the technical side.

And yes, the Audi sales team is totally unprepared. When I was test driving the E-tron, I remarked to the sales guy that I was really anxious to try the Q4. His response... "Oh? When's that coming out?"

Reactions: polyphonic54
To be fair - Tesla owners have to scour forums also for issue resolution (buffeting, etc.), though at least issues not related to drive train.
Exactly, I mostly came to the forums in the first place to fix my fit and finish issues because I've had no mechanical or drivetrain issues at all. I know Tesla can and will take care of those issues.
I can't imagine owning an Audi and not being a DIY-er. I just hope Tesla forums develop to s similar extent on the technical side.
That's the thing, we are already on these forums and are enthusiasts/DIY-ers and as EV owners we are all "early adopters" to some degree which generally attracts technical enthusiasts. I would argue most Audi owners are in the "I just want it to work" camp and will just take it to the shop if there's an issue and will be frustrated when they have no idea how to fix things. That's not a good experience and may turn people off EV's completely. Service and support are often a major part of the experience of owning a vehicle so Audi good looks (me thinks) only gets you so far.

My only concern is that regardless how good (or not) the E-tron really is, there are still new 2019's sitting on dealer's lots. To me it means the car has not been very well received and bodes poorly for future resale value, not even counting no Supercharger access:

New 2019 Audi e-tron for Sale Near You (with Photos) | Edmunds

There's still a healthy inventory of new '19 sitting on the lots. I have two Audi dealerships within 10 miles of where I live, and sometimes for fun, I'll scour their e-tron inventory on their website. Needless to say, they have quite a bit with very little movement. Since it's release, I've only had 2 sightings of the e-tron on the road. I know that's not indicative of sales, but I've seen many more MYs already on the road and deliveries only started late-March. Also, you can find pretty sweet deals on slightly used '19 e-trons (<5,000 miles) on Cars.com, Edmunds, etc....that kinda shows the demand (or lack of) and resale value.

On a separate note, I was reading up on some reviews from e-tron owners in several Audi forums, and they've expressed disappointment in minor things. For instance, the oil change warning light would pop on and the only way to get rid of that is to take it into Audi and pay $89 to have them remove it. Oil change maintenance light on an EV?

I love the look of the e-tron, but I do believe Audi will need a few more years to fully grasp everything that comes with manufacturing and mass-producing EVs. Even though the e-tron has generally received positive reviews (Car & Driver, Edmunds, etc.), I take it with a grain of salt because those firms doing the reviews aren't keeping it for 3-4+ years.

• Informative
Reactions: secondclaw
It sounds like Audi has ample inventory, big incentives and discounts (Costco car shopper), and full EV tax credits available. I really like Audi's styling so I hope they don't give up.

Yeah, anything service-wise with Audi is going to cost and arm and a leg.

There's still a healthy inventory of new '19 sitting on the lots. I have two Audi dealerships within 10 miles of where I live, and sometimes for fun, I'll scour their e-tron inventory on their website. Needless to say, they have quite a bit with very little movement. Since it's release, I've only had 2 sightings of the e-tron on the road. I know that's not indicative of sales, but I've seen many more MYs already on the road and deliveries only started late-March. Also, you can find pretty sweet deals on slightly used '19 e-trons (<5,000 miles) on Cars.com, Edmunds, etc....that kinda shows the demand (or lack of) and resale value.

On a separate note, I was reading up on some reviews from e-tron owners in several Audi forums, and they've expressed disappointment in minor things. For instance, the oil change warning light would pop on and the only way to get rid of that is to take it into Audi and pay $89 to have them remove it. Oil change maintenance light on an EV?

I love the look of the e-tron, but I do believe Audi will need a few more years to fully grasp everything that comes with manufacturing and mass-producing EVs. Even though the e-tron has generally received positive reviews (Car & Driver, Edmunds, etc.), I take it with a grain of salt because those firms doing the reviews aren't keeping it for 3-4+ years.