Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Audi Receives 10,000-Plus Pre-Orders For e-tron

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi e-tron enters the market with over 10,000 pre-orders.

According to Lahouari Bennaoum, Director of Audi France, the number of pre-orders for e-tron already exceeds 10,000 (globally).

For comparison, Tesla sold in 2017 over 12,600 Model X in Europe alone. We are now wondering what is the number of pre-orders from Europe, where e-tron could reach comparable sales volume to the Model X.

Production of the Audi e-tron started in Belgium on September 3, 2018 so the first deliveries in Europe are expected soon (for sure before the end of this year). Sales in North America will begin in the second-quarter of 2019, but with no dealer stock expected, we doubt the e-tron will sell in volume here.

Prices start at:

€79.900 ($94,000) in Germany

$74,800 in U.S.

Audi e-tron specs:

0-60 mph – 5.5 seconds

Top speed – 124 mph

over 400 km (250 miles) expected under WLTP test cycle

95 kWh battery (36 cell modules, each module is equipped with 12 pouch cells, nominal voltage of 396 volts)

battery pack weight: 700 kilograms (1543.2 lb)

dual-motor all-wheel drive – up to 300 kW and 664 Nm in S mode (boost) or up to 265 kW and 561 Nm in D mode. Front motor is 135 kW, the rear is 165 kW (S mode).

Maximum tow rating – 4,000 pounds when properly equipped

9.6 kW on-board charger (240 V, 40 A) in U.S. and 11 kW or 22 kW three-phase in Europe

DC fast charging up to 150 kW: 0-80% in 30 minutes

Source: Automobile-Propre

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
electric motor supplier?
eDrive | GKN Solutions | GKN Driveline | Our Division | GKN Group
actual factory seems to be Audi Starts Production Of E-tron Electric Motors

batteries and competition with existing ICE models I suspect are the largest constraights

IF Audi wanted to encourage e-tron sales how about offering one vehicle to each dealership on consignment? (no flooring costs)

As we all know, Tesla is supply constrained. Demand isn't the problem. Production is.
Would a refreshed Model X be able to significantly reduce costs with standard "4 door" version?
Or perhaps a 2 door (coupe) version?? yes a 3 door like my old Saab

Looks like in the next two years the competition will heat up. Interesting to watch.
(how much might India, China and Russia step up to electrification?)

Last edited:
electric motor supplier?
eDrive | GKN Solutions | GKN Driveline | Our Division | GKN Group
actual factory seems to be Audi Starts Production Of E-tron Electric Motors

batteries and competition with existing ICE models I suspect are the largest constraights

IF Audi wanted to encourage e-tron sales how about offering one vehicle to each dealership on consignment? (no flooring costs)

As we all know, Tesla is supply constrained. Demand isn't the problem. Production is.
Would a refreshed Model X be able to significantly reduce costs with standard "4 door" version?
Or perhaps a 2 door (coupe) version?? yes a 3 door like my old Saab

Looks like in the next two years the competition will heat up. Interesting to watch.
(how much might India, China and Russia step up to electrification?)

Chinese customer already buy 50% of the EVs sold. China has policies that favor EVs. Like making ICE car potential owners go through a lottery with lower odds of getting a license plate in large cities. One article I saw showed the odds at 1 in 700 in Beijing. And large numbers of free charging stations.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando
I'm unsure how the legacy ICE makers will fully handle the overall transition to EVs when all is said and done. It would be like a CD mfr. now making MP3 thumb drives too, or Kodak hawking digital media (even though I hear they themselves invented it). They are all stuck with a mountain of product-specific mfg. infrastructure and decades of time, effort and monetary investment geared towards developing and refining gas engines...

• Love
$1k deposit. The problem is which audi dealer is willing to sell & maintenance an audi EV car?

They already sell a plug in hybrid, so dealers probably already have techs for those. Not much of a leap to go from servicing a permanent magnet motor plug in hybrid with a 8kWh battery to working on full EVs. Probably easier actually since that hybrid still has a gas engine too.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando and r0xx0r
They already sell a plug in hybrid, so dealers probably already have techs for those. Not much of a leap to go from servicing a permanent magnet motor plug in hybrid with a 8kWh battery to working on full EVs. Probably easier actually since that hybrid still has a gas engine too.
Hybrid is fine as it still an ICE car, they could try upsale the hybrid as “premium”. But ZEV is another thing. There is a conflict of interest situation here. Remember Tesla selected the no-dealerships model because of this reason.

I think other car makers should have a rule like: if you want to get 10 Audi Q7 for your dealer, you must get one Audi e-tron. I know Honda uses this strategy in Asia to sell “budget/low-end” vehicles.

• Helpful
Hybrid is fine as it still an ICE car, they could try upsale the hybrid as “premium”. But ZEV is another thing. There is a conflict of interest situation here. Remember Tesla selected the no-dealerships model because of this reason.

Well, it is still Audi we are talking about here, so I am sure the BEV will need just as much maintenance, repair, and Audi Care service plans as the ICE. (Its not like Tesla is winning the "EVs need less service" war anyways.)

Full disclosure: former Audi owner here.

Was in my Audi dealer today, asked about the E-Tron. The GM went to the Reveal and all the techs are attending classes in Miami soon.
Audi advertises they are serious about dealer support for customers. Only problem is they will not have cars on the lot for a long time. Only way to get one relatively soon [2nd qtr next year maybe] is to put down 1K and wait for your car. The advertised range is right around 200 miles. Will be interesting to read early reviews.

How’s gonna spend $75k for this when you can just buy the identical model with a gasoline engine for $30k less
I think $25,000 less, and so you need to save $5,000/year on fuel and oil. After 5 years real savings kick in.
Only buyers can make actual calculations. Some buyers just buy what they want.
we shall have to wait and see

ps - Canadian told me his gas for SUV was costing him $320/month

UK:
For a large saloon car, I'm paying around £1.31 a litre for diesel x average of 15,000 miles a year at 40mpg = £243.80 a month in fuel costs
($316.67 USD, $410.27 CAD)

Asides:
UK and US gallons are different sizes.
£1.31 a litre is $6.46 USD per US Gallon
40mpg here is 33.3mpg over in the USA

• Informative
oh, I just figured out my Audi $50,000 Q7 will save me $25,000 from the e-tron and it really only costs going/filling at gas stations and doing maintenance at the dealership. Great deal if you don't actually drive much. Guess I'll keep my old ride - don't drive all that much anymore.:(

Was in my Audi dealer today, asked about the E-Tron. The GM went to the Reveal and all the techs are attending classes in Miami soon.
Audi advertises they are serious about dealer support for customers. Only problem is they will not have cars on the lot for a long time. Only way to get one relatively soon [2nd qtr next year maybe] is to put down 1K and wait for your car. The advertised range is right around 200 miles. Will be interesting to read early reviews.

Early reviews are going to be awesome. The real world ones, maybe not so much.