Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio feedback sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model S on Thursday and love it. The one thing that doesn't seem to be working properly is the sound quality. I hear what sounds almost like an electrical feedback buzzing when I listen to the radio or talking on the phone at any volume >= 5. I don't have the upgraded sound system, just the basic one. I called Tesla Service about this and am waiting for their call back, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem like this.

I got my Model S on Thursday and love it. The one thing that doesn't seem to be working properly is the sound quality. I hear what sounds almost like an electrical feedback buzzing when I listen to the radio or talking on the phone at any volume >= 5. I don't have the upgraded sound system, just the basic one. I called Tesla Service about this and am waiting for their call back, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem like this.

On the chance that you are listening or making calls with the headlights on, there is a known bug with the ambient lights under the armrest that make a buzzing sound. That may be the source of your buzzing sound.

Audio: Buzzing sound through stereo with headlights on

On the chance that you are listening or making calls with the headlights on, there is a known bug with the ambient lights under the armrest that make a buzzing sound. That may be the source of your buzzing sound.

Audio: Buzzing sound through stereo with headlights on

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that is the cause. I have the lights set to auto, so the headlamps should (I assume) be off during the day (I'll verify tomorrow). Also, the buzzing/feedback sound gets stronger as I increase the volume. I'm wondering (hoping) it's just a bad connection in the wires to the speaker or something like that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that is the cause. I have the lights set to auto, so the headlamps should (I assume) be off during the day (I'll verify tomorrow). Also, the buzzing/feedback sound gets stronger as I increase the volume. I'm wondering (hoping) it's just a bad connection in the wires to the speaker or something like that.

If the ambiant lights are set to be on, and your displays brightness isn't 100% (or very close) you may also get a buzzing sound.

I've got a buzz in one of my right front speakers. If I move the balance to right or the fader to back it goes away (but I don't like the sound quality that way). It only affects me for certain audio sources like a USB stick or Slacker radio, but doesn't affect me for broadcast radio nor iPhone streaming. It also doesn't really do it at low levels, but is really bad at high levels.
I wonder if there's a wire hanging loose on the speaker cone, or if the cone is ripped or something.
I'm planning on asking a ranger to come out and take a look, but I've been queuing up a list of things I want the ranger to fix since it's $100 a visit, and it seems like it takes some time before the ranger will come out.

I wonder if you have the same problem that I have, or if yours is different.

I listen to a lot of talk radio on the road. The poor quality of its AM radio is a disappointment in an otherwise satisfying Tesla car. It's as if the wired 20-somethings who decided what to emphasize concluded that few of us would listen to terrestrial radio, so why not cut corners. Like the skinny visors and micro-thin body paint, Model S's AM radio quality is not worthy of a $60k to $100k luxury vehicle that is leading edge in many other ways.
AJC