Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auropilot randomly kicking me out w/msg: Autosteer Unavailable for rest of the trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get kicked out at the same place daily. It's a terrible intersection. There is a traffic light at a parking lot off a main road. The traffic light is waaaay back past the intersection. Car always kicks me out.

But, for me it's only at that spot (and one other odd condition up the street) and I never have to pull over.

I don't think this is your problem, unless your also getting kicked out at the same spot all the time?
I am not getting kicked out at the same spot but rather every 20 or so miles on long trips. It hasn't kicked me out even once during my every day driving which is really weird.

I get kicked out at the same place daily. It's a terrible intersection. There is a traffic light at a parking lot off a main road. The traffic light is waaaay back past the intersection. Car always kicks me out.

But, for me it's only at that spot (and one other odd condition up the street) and I never have to pull over.

I don't think this is your problem, unless your also getting kicked out at the same spot all the time?
If it's consistent, it sounds like the AP computer just can't figure out what to do at the intersection and/or situation and panics.

Reactions: umair239 and brkaus
If it's consistent, it sounds like the AP computer just can't figure out what to do at the intersection and/or situation and panics.
You are probably right but it has happened on interstate highways only. Doesn't kick me outon city streets but then again I am not driving 20 or 30 miles on city streets due to me being in a small town where everything is literally under 10 miles away. Autopilot kicking me out when there's no intersection and out of nowhere is concerning. I think replacement of hw3 autopilot module and cameras is the route device center will take to solve this

You are probably right but it has happened on interstate highways only. Doesn't kick me outon city streets but then again I am not driving 20 or 30 miles on city streets due to me being in a small town where everything is literally under 10 miles away. Autopilot kicking me out when there's no intersection and out of nowhere is concerning. I think replacement of hw3 autopilot module and cameras is the route device center will take to solve this
What errors concerning Autopilot does the notification log show?

What errors concerning Autopilot does the notification log show?
I only have two things in my notification log which are for suspension raise etc. may be because the autopilot error was 5 days ago. Don't see anything else in thr notifications panel. Basically autopilot would kick me out randomly stating it's unavailable for rest of the trip

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I’ve had this problem with a dirty/blocked radar sensor up front. First I had it in a hellacious snow squall and it became covered, wouldn’t work until cleaned, even though I was in a non-snowy area later. Another time, as gross as it sounds, got plastered with bugs on a 150mile drive in the springtime.

Reactions: umair239
I’ve had this problem with a dirty/blocked radar sensor up front. First I had it in a hellacious snow squall and it became covered, wouldn’t work until cleaned, even though I was in a non-snowy area later. Another time, as gross as it sounds, got plastered with bugs on a 150mile drive in the springtime.

I think it was the same thing causing issue with my car too, kicked sensor. Even though the car was new. May be during the delivery preparation the cleaner they used crested a film or something to block one of the sensors because I've made several trips of over 70 miles and the car kicked me out of autopilot only one time
Even during the same 235 miles trip where car had kicked me 5 times before, I only got kicked out once. So may be there is some truth to blocked sensors. May be I need to clean them before every long trip. It seems like the issue has resolved itself but your explanation makes the most sense

Maybe you got early beta of autopilot rewrite that Elon talked about recently.

I don’t use autopilot on city streets, but, get a chime when traffic light turns green. I got two wrong chimes yesterday in bright sun when I could clearly see the light was still red. What’s even more troubling was the fact that the instrument cluster only showed one of the two lights as green, still got the chime. Wonder if the car would have jumped the red light if I was on AP.

I don’t use autopilot on city streets, but, get a chime when traffic light turns green. I got two wrong chimes yesterday in bright sun when I could clearly see the light was still red. What’s even more troubling was the fact that the instrument cluster only showed one of the two lights as green, still got the chime. Wonder if the car would have jumped the red light if I was on AP.
Sounds like a dangerous bug. But I suppose cameras are the only way a car can tell the status of a signal, radar/lidar wouldn't be useful in such a scenario. The AP should do a quick sanity check for cross traffic (if it has such capability, I don't know the width of the camera/radar field of view) before proceeding.

I nearly got T-boned a few weeks ago by a Chrysler 300 that zoomed thru a red light at speed, would have probably got me right in the driver door if I hadn't hesitated after the light turned green when the driver to my left did the same.

Lol I sure hope this isn't the early re-write of autopilot because this sucks

Hey, I was looking for some help with the same situation..kicking out of Autosteer.

brand new 2021 S that I picked up on Saturday. First Tesla. I drove it Sunday on a 135 mile interstate trip and back on Tuesday. Both times late afternoon to night drives. I used autosteer and kept both hands on the wheel the whole time. I was very engaged and watching it closely because it is new to me. I was even lightly steering along because I had repeated warnings to put my hands on the wheel (they always were). Then I was abruptly kicked out each time. I did not pull over and try to reset because I didn’t have time and it was fine just to drive.

but truthfully during my manual driving I Noticed that I almost apply the same amount of pressure that I was doing when I was abruptly kicked out (no warning). I hold the wheel very lightly in general. And with both hands at the bottom of the wheel. I saw the suggestion to just use the thumb wheels And to clean the cameras/sensors and I will do that, but anything else?

Thanks.

As has been said above already, you can grab the wheel as firmly as you like, but it will not solve the problem reliably. The only thing that works is applying torque.

Too much torque, and the autosteering will get disabled. Too little, and you get nags and eventually kicked. It has to be the right amount.

Most of us here have got used to this and just rest one hand on the side of the steering wheel or grab the wheel with both hands, but asymmetrically, like one hand resting on the horizontal cross-bar, the other down.

• Informative
Reactions: Sances and umair239
Hey, I was looking for some help with the same situation..kicking out of Autosteer.

brand new 2021 S that I picked up on Saturday. First Tesla. I drove it Sunday on a 135 mile interstate trip and back on Tuesday. Both times late afternoon to night drives. I used autosteer and kept both hands on the wheel the whole time. I was very engaged and watching it closely because it is new to me. I was even lightly steering along because I had repeated warnings to put my hands on the wheel (they always were). Then I was abruptly kicked out each time. I did not pull over and try to reset because I didn’t have time and it was fine just to drive.

but truthfully during my manual driving I Noticed that I almost apply the same amount of pressure that I was doing when I was abruptly kicked out (no warning). I hold the wheel very lightly in general. And with both hands at the bottom of the wheel. I saw the suggestion to just use the thumb wheels And to clean the cameras/sensors and I will do that, but anything else?

Thanks.

My issue has "almost resolved itself" to where I get kicked out just once in my 235 trip but it's still upsetting. Service center tells me they have ordered the parts to resolve my issue so we'll see.

As has been said above already, you can grab the wheel as firmly as you like, but it will not solve the problem reliably. The only thing that works is applying torque.

Too much torque, and the autosteering will get disabled. Too little, and you get nags and eventually kicked. It has to be the right amount.

Most of us here have got used to this and just rest one hand on the side of the steering wheel or grab the wheel with both hands, but asymmetrically, like one hand resting on the horizontal cross-bar, the other down.

Ah, thanks. This is helpful. I will try it.

Sorry, coming to this thread so late because my 2016 MX didn't have this problem. But my newly purchased used 2020 MX definitely has it. It disengages repeatedly on a clear road, without warning, with my hands applying proper rotational torque. It disengages repeatedly. 5 or 6 or 7 times in under 3 minutes. It would go on Indefinitely if I kept trying. I get no warnings or messages. But I think I MAY have found a fix (at least for my 2020 MX): USE IT EVERY DAY!! Frequent use on consecutive days seems to make it start working, it starts staying engaged. I don't know for sure yet. Need more testing. Can Tesla Service even begin to work on this? I haven't bothered till I get some data.