Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up in NJ yesterday and I got the same response. So no mud flaps. No matrix lights ofcourse for Austin build only. Most cutomers build was Freemont as they were picking it up. One customer told me Austin built had newer motor than Freemont build but when I asked SA he said no. Anyway so far didn't find any big issues so happy so far.
Any advise when taking delivery?

I will be taking delivery of my Model Y February 28. The car is an Austin build, will it come with the matrix headlights?
Picked up in Austin build NJ yesterday - no mud flaps, no matrix lights . One customer who was picking up Freemont build told me that Austin built had newer motor than Freemont build and he verified by looking behind vehicle but when I asked SA he said no. Anyway so far didn't find any big issues so happy so far.

Upvote 0
It seems like if you ordered the base model (white, MY LR) they are coming out of Austin. At first I thought it was just Californians that ordered the white MY LR are all Austin builds. If you customize the MY LR (change color, tow hitch, wheels) then it might come from Fremont. I just find it very troubling why they can't just supply Austin with the same exact Bill of Materials so that the Fremont and Austin builds can be the same with matrix headlights, cargo cover, mud flaps, etc.

Reactions: dvlsd
Upvote 0
It seems like if you ordered the base model (white, MY LR) they are coming out of Austin. At first I thought it was just Californians that ordered the white MY LR are all Austin builds. If you customize the MY LR (change color, tow hitch, wheels) then it might come from Fremont. I just find it very troubling why they can't just supply Austin with the same exact Bill of Materials so that the Fremont and Austin builds can be the same with matrix headlights, cargo cover, mud flaps, etc.
Actually, the goal was to move AWAY from Matrix lights. So, if they could apply it across, no MYLR would have Matrix lights.

Regardless of color, tow hitch or wheel, 5 seater MYLR could come from either Fremont or Austin.

It was the 7 seater and MYP that are limited to Fremont.

Upvote 0
changing color to MYLR doesn't seem to get it built from fremont either.

from what i read here, mostly MYPR and 7 seaters are being built in fremont..among other factors
Right nothing is guaranteed
Actually, the goal was to move AWAY from Matrix lights. So, if they could apply it across, no MYLR would have Matrix lights.

Regardless of color, tow hitch or wheel, 5 seater MYLR could come from either Fremont or Austin.

It was the 7 seater and MYP that are limited to Fremont.
Why would they want to remove the matrix lights? I thought that was more of a new thing. Are you saying they want to go from the matrix projector lights to more conventional?

Upvote 0
The goal was to give the 3 and MYP the Matrix while leaving the “more cost effective” non-Matrix for the LR (and SR).

If you Google there a couple articles about it, you’ll see that the reason they put it on the MYLR was because of supply issues. When they thought it was okay, they took it off. But then put it back on later, cause they were wrong. And it’s been non-Matrix at Austin with Matrix at Fremont since.

Upvote 0
Do not have high hope for Austin build. I received the Austin build car MYLR this morning with all kinds of issues from paint chips to misalignment between panels. Looks like Tesla does NOT have quality control. My daughter 2023 Toyota Camry has better build and QC for 1/2 price of MYLR.

Upvote 0
Picked up in NJ yesterday and I got the same response. So no mud flaps. No matrix lights ofcourse for Austin build only. Most cutomers build was Freemont as they were picking it up. One customer told me Austin built had newer motor than Freemont build but when I asked SA he said no. Anyway so far didn't find any big issues so happy so far.
Yeah, there's a few of us with Austin LR builds that have the new 4D1 motor in it. You can verify by looking at the motor itself to see what type you have:
Screenshot 2023-02-19 10.55.26 PM.png

Also all the LR reported to have this motor have an "F" in the eighth digit of the VIN instead of the typical "E" for LR models. The 4D1 is the replacement to the 3D1/980 motor and is built on hairpin winding instead of wire winding. All the ones I've ran across were built late 2022 (November/December). There's been a few who chimed in with a later date and it seems they have the 980/990 motor so I'm not sure if Austin putting the 4D1 in the LR models was only done for a very short time and they've reverted back to the older 980/990 motor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do not have high hope for Austin build. I received the Austin build car MYLR this morning with all kinds of issues from paint chips to misalignment between panels. Looks like Tesla does NOT have quality control. My daughter 2023 Toyota Camry has better build and QC for 1/2 price of MYLR.
I received a MYLR Red Austin build on 2/15/2023 and it is perfect. I have a distant background as an auto manufacture Industrial Engineer and I understand fit & finish, this car is built well!, fantastic car actually.

Upvote 0
I received a MYLR Red Austin build on 2/15/2023 and it is perfect. I have a distant background as an auto manufacture Industrial Engineer and I understand fit & finish, this car is built well!, fantastic car actually.
When did you receive your car? What is your last VIN number (12th,13th and 14th): PA???xxx. I do not need to know the 16, 17, and last number. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
+1. Had my car delivered in the snow in Southern California for the first time in over 30+ years and the most snow of record for the area so inspection on site was minimal. I checked the absolute basics which was that the paint all matched and no glaring gaps or damage.

Was nervous as our VIN 30008 2018 model 3 had bubble in the wood grain, specs in between clear coat, and worst of all, the middle seat buckle was literally not bolted to the frame.

If I’m nitpicking, the right rear seat appears to be slightly higher than the left side and there was the slightest of scuff marks in the headliner. I’m hoping they can clean it. If they tell me they’d need to replace headliner, I’d say “Nah” as it can only be seen at certain angles.

I’m more irritated with Basenor. Ordered mudflaps and they sent me reads that don’t match the instruction videos and are factory mislabeled (FL or front left go on driver side but RL or Rear left go on passenger side for some reason) and no way are they big enough to reach the bolt at top of the wheel well.

Overall extremely pleased with fit/finish of our 069xx Austin MY. Just wish they had the matrix lights and sensors as my wife is terrible at judging the space in front of her in vehicles.

Upvote 0
I ordered the MYLR/blue/black interior/20 inch wheels. Just anxious and annoyed there is a difference between Fremont and Austin.
Fremont build has matrix headlights whereas Austin build does not. Both will have the cargo covers. They both will also NOT have ultrasonic sensors as Tesla has removed them to prepare for Tesla Vision (software) to replace them in the future.

Excluding build quality, there's no other big difference between the two. The build quality will be a tossup depending on which factory it comes from and then luck. I was able to inspect the interior/exterior of both a Fremont and Austin build here in NJ:

Fremont - build quality and panel gaps seemed to be more consistent. Just like Austin build, it's possible for it to come with any type of issues if you're unlucky so just talk to SA and schedule a service for them to fix any issues.

Austin - build quality ranges all over the place so depends on how picky you are. I noticed some bigger panel gaps than normal and some gaps that weren't quite symmetrical to the other side. Doors seem stiffer compared to Fremont builds (have to close them a little harder than usual). Other than that, everything was pretty similar to Fremont build. Just like Fremont build, it's possible for it to come with any type of issues if you're unlucky so just talk to SA and schedule a service for them to fix any issues.

Upvote 0
I received my MYLR today 2/28/23 Austin build. Car is absolutely beautiful. There is one minor issue (trunk is off centered). Tesla will fix and we have 7 days to report any other cosmetic issues however, I don’t believe there is anything else to report. I conducted a thorough inspection and don’t see any other issues. No matrix headlights but still happy.

Attachments

• 20ACDD4F-46D5-41D0-8E42-06AFF1F587F4.jpeg
    20ACDD4F-46D5-41D0-8E42-06AFF1F587F4.jpeg
    802.2 KB · Views: 164
  • AB198AEB-D399-468D-B2B7-E4EED0AEDFDA.jpeg
    AB198AEB-D399-468D-B2B7-E4EED0AEDFDA.jpeg
    803.6 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0