Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin, TX to New York, NY in S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm loading it up right now. But FYI, you have a typo at the beginning of the URL for your wordpress site...

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great trip! We're planning to do a cross-country trip as soon as we get our S85D in early '16. CA->NM->AL->FL->VA->CA. Appreciate the wheel alignment advice as well!

Sounds like a great trip. We did a DFW to Seattle trip back in July and it was the best long distance (long distance = over 2000 mile) road trip we've ever taken.

$250 is what I pay for a wheel alignment done correctly. The $80 kind often make the alignment worse because the techs don't understand about alignment angles--I doubt most could even name them, let alone describe what they do and what they control--and the machines are all too often out of calibration. If Tesla has the calibration done monthly, then $250 is a reasonable price, although I would much rather have them confirm what they did with manual tools which can't go out of calibration. I've never had to pay for an alignment done by the SC.

I actually did this trip in reverse in a Model S 60 in the spring of 2014. Before the Macon, GA supercharger was open! Boston to Georgia was a breeze, then Nissan dealerships and a campground were used to charge between Macon and Austin. We managed to complete the trip one way in just over 3 days. Not bad for 1000 miles not supercharged! We had a cargo rack in the back for bicycles, a mattress in the back seat so one driver could sleep while the other drove, and a spare in the frunk. We saw as low as 180 wh/mile cruising at 50!

I read through some of the blogs and I get the feeling that, OP demonstrates excessive caution in not charging to 100% - even on long trips. I think that is unwarranted. While frequent - aka daily - charging to 100% might be detrimental, I am fairly confident that it is perfectly okay to charge to 100% when you need them.

On the Nissan Leaf form folks soon realized it made no difference. So much Nissan even removed the 80% charging option in 2014 and later. So most charge to 100% daily, and in my case twice daily and I have the same capacity after 20 months and 35k miles as anyone else with that mileage.

I understand Model S is not Leaf, but still I have noticed folks going a bit overboard in avoiding 100% sometimes.

Great blog posts. I enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read through some of the blogs and I get the feeling that, OP demonstrates excessive caution on going out of the way in not charging to 100% - even on long trips. I think that is unwarranted. While frequent - aka daily - charging to 100% might be detrimental, I am fairly confident that it is perfectly okay to charge to 100% when you need them.

On the Nissan Leaf form folks soon realized it made no difference. So much Nissan even removed the 80% charging option in 2014 and later. So most of charge to 100% daily, and in my case twice daily and I have the same capacity after 20 months and 35k miles as anyone else with that mileage.

I understand Model S is not Leaf, but still I have noticed folks going a bit overboard in avoiding 100% sometimes.

Great blog posts. I enjoyed it.
Agree that one shouldn't hesitate to charge to 100% when traveling, but Nissan removed the 80% charging option to increase the advertised range of the car. EPA was averaging the 80% and 100% ranges. With no 80% option, the range magically increased by 10% for the next model year! Same reason Tesla changed from the standard 93% daily charge or 100% trip charge in earlier Model S firmware to the slider of 50-90% for daily use. Without a fixed daily setting EPA would have nothing to average the 100% range with, so they continued to publish the 100% range figure (as they should).

FWIW: the technology of the LEAF battery and the Tesla battery are completely different and should never be compared to each other. as many have noted there is no problem charging your Tesla to 100% and then immediately driving, the problems arise when the car is charged to 100% and then is not driven soon afterwards.

Last edited:
The correct URL : 2015-09-09 s BLOG

Conclusion: "Based on this trip’s experience, given a payload of about 700lbs on the car, driving within 5-10mph above the highway speed limit, Model S can drive comfortably up to 235 miles on a full charge and one can totally trust the car’s Navigation/Energy app in doing its job!"

Sorry, there is a correction in the above hyperlink: https://asleshkumart.wordpress.com/

I recently came back from a 4100+ miles Austin to New York trip in my S85. Here are the details on my experience on my blog: http://https://asleshkumart.wordpress.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for pointing out the typo. Fixed it. Good luck on your trip :) You will just love it!

I'm loading it up right now. But FYI, you have a typo at the beginning of the URL for your wordpress site...

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great trip! We're planning to do a cross-country trip as soon as we get our S85D in early '16. CA->NM->AL->FL->VA->CA. Appreciate the wheel alignment advice as well!

- - - Updated - - -

The alignment I did was at a gentleman's shop who also owns a Model S. The shop did have the right alignment equipment for Model S along with the alignment specs from the factory. There was one technician who knew what he was doing and who also did alignment on his boss's car. Anyways, thanks for your comment.

Sounds like a great trip. We did a DFW to Seattle trip back in July and it was the best long distance (long distance = over 2000 mile) road trip we've ever taken.

$250 is what I pay for a wheel alignment done correctly. The $80 kind often make the alignment worse because the techs don't understand about alignment angles--I doubt most could even name them, let alone describe what they do and what they control--and the machines are all too often out of calibration. If Tesla has the calibration done monthly, then $250 is a reasonable price, although I would much rather have them confirm what they did with manual tools which can't go out of calibration. I've never had to pay for an alignment done by the SC.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice!

I actually did this trip in reverse in a Model S 60 in the spring of 2014. Before the Macon, GA supercharger was open! Boston to Georgia was a breeze, then Nissan dealerships and a campground were used to charge between Macon and Austin. We managed to complete the trip one way in just over 3 days. Not bad for 1000 miles not supercharged! We had a cargo rack in the back for bicycles, a mattress in the back seat so one driver could sleep while the other drove, and a spare in the frunk. We saw as low as 180 wh/mile cruising at 50!