Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 highland accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 32a 5 pin socket installed and use a 32a to umc tail. Single phase home setup. Have been running this setup now for almost 2 years and have no issues or regrets.

It is a fraction of the cost of buying a hpwc and getting it installed. Also have been camping with the family a couple of times and the 32a is handy for charging at camp sites.

At the end of the day it’s totally your choice. Assuming you already have the umc cost is for the 32amp plug ($250-$300) + electrician cost to install the 32amp socket.

I gave my wall charger away to a mate who has 3 phase at home. I only have single phase so while it looked good it was a waste. The UMC now hangs on the wall next to the 5 pin 32a plug and only goes into the car if I am heading out past Adelaide River.

hey guys thinking of putting in a gen 3 wall connector for faster 11kw charging (3 phase at home), electrician quoted me $800, is that a good price?

Ive got a double storey, he needs to run approx 15 to 20m of cable from box to garage.

I dont necessarily NEED the fast charger but want it for peace of mind so if I need to juice the car during my OVO window I can free of charge or at 8c/kwh instead of taking 24 hours currently to go from like 30% to 100%
My install, booked for 13 March, sounds similar to yours. $2,100 all up (in Perth). These guys did my solar panels and inverter well, so I expect another good job. If the charger is $710, that means $1,390 for my installation. So, yes, $800 sounds good.

hey guys thinking of putting in a gen 3 wall connector for faster 11kw charging (3 phase at home), electrician quoted me $800, is that a good price?

Ive got a double storey, he needs to run approx 15 to 20m of cable from box to garage.

I dont necessarily NEED the fast charger but want it for peace of mind so if I need to juice the car during my OVO window I can free of charge or at 8c/kwh instead of taking 24 hours currently to go from like 30% to 100%
Yeah, I'd say that's a good price.

Apart from anything else I just felt better using a dedicated circuit that was installed as a separate job rather than piggybacking on the existing shared circuit of unknown provenance.

At the end of the day it’s totally your choice. Assuming you already have the umc cost is for the 32amp plug ($250-$300) + electrician cost to install the 32amp socket.
The electrician cost to install the socket is going to be pretty much the same as installing the HPWC, so the overall difference is the 32 plug versus the HPWC cost, or about $500.

A pricey tire indeed..

1708563641503.png

Reactions: jeevas123
A question for those that have fitted the soft close frunk mechanism (not Auto Frunk)...
What are your thoughts on it?
I have a MY and will ask in that group as well but I know a couple of you have fitted one.
I sometimes use the car for food delivery (Uber Eats / Doordash) and put stuff in the frunk to keep the smell out of the car.
This can become problematic as I have to close the frunk 10-20 times a day.

I gave my wall charger away to a mate who has 3 phase at home. I only have single phase so while it looked good it was a waste. The UMC now hangs on the wall next to the 5 pin 32a plug and only goes into the car if I am heading out past Adelaide River.
Yeah all good points.

If you park every night in an enclosed garage you would get away with a UMC if you dont mind packing it up if there is a remote chance you might need it.

If you park on a driveway its a different story as (at least for me) having something bolted to the wall is a pretty good idea. Unless you could be bothered plugging in and packing the umc back up, which im way too lazy to do :) i just leave it in the boot.

A question for those that have fitted the soft close frunk mechanism (not Auto Frunk)...
What are your thoughts on it?
I have a MY and will ask in that group as well but I know a couple of you have fitted one.
I sometimes use the car for food delivery (Uber Eats / Doordash) and put stuff in the frunk to keep the smell out of the car.
This can become problematic as I have to close the frunk 10-20 times a day.
I installed it this week. Like it. In your case I think just pushing the frunk 20 times a day may cause paint to wear.

Reactions: Goneincognito
I had a 32a 5 pin socket installed and use a 32a to umc tail. Single phase home setup. Have been running this setup now for almost 2 years and have no issues or regrets.

It is a fraction of the cost of buying a hpwc and getting it installed. Also have been camping with the family a couple of times and the 32a is handy for charging at camp sites.

I thought for single phase it is 3 pins and 5 pins for 3-phase?

I am in the camp of UMC users as well. Just think it is more flexible with the same charging speed at 32A

THanks man! So to save money and still fast charge with my current UMC at 7kw, I could get this and jsut get sparkie to install a 32amp socket in garage? Tesla 32 Amp, 3 phase plug, 7kW adaptor for Mobile Connector.

+ something like this in my garage yeh, thats it?

1708589422282.png