Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it has a range of operating temps but I'm not certain of exactly what it is. Driving will produce heat from battery discharge and motors + motor inverters, so the heat will distribute depending on what the car needs in certain places
Indeed, and I believe the liquid heat transfer in the vehicle is very sophisticated and extremely well designed. I'm guessing that the primary driver for this is energy efficiency. It feels like somebody important stood up at a meeting of engineers one day and said "Look. There are a lot of thing in this car that generate heat, and there are a lot of things in this car that need to be heated. There are also things in this car that need to be cooled. Design something that integrates the entire heating/cooling system".

And they ended up with this state-of-the-art super-manifold octo-valve heat pump system that runs liquid cooling through more than a dozen heat sources in the vehicle, cooling things that need to be cooled whilst simultaneously heating things that need to be heated, and then and only then sending excess heat to the atmosphere or drawing heat from the atmosphere via the heat pump.

There is an awesome YouTube video about it from Weber State University - it's a long watch but if you are technically minded and interested, I recommend it:

Indeed, and I believe the liquid heat transfer in the vehicle is very sophisticated and extremely well designed. I'm guessing that the primary driver for this is energy efficiency. It feels like somebody important stood up at a meeting of engineers one day and said "Look. There are a lot of thing in this car that generate heat, and there are a lot of things in this car that need to be heated. There are also things in this car that need to be cooled. Design something that integrates the entire heating/cooling system".

And they ended up with this state-of-the-art super-manifold octo-valve heat pump system that runs liquid cooling through more than a dozen heat sources in the vehicle, cooling things that need to be cooled whilst simultaneously heating things that need to be heated, and then and only then sending excess heat to the atmosphere or drawing heat from the atmosphere via the heat pump.

There is an awesome YouTube video about it from Weber State University - it's a long watch but if you are technically minded and interested, I recommend it:
It’s almost like technology that could used in things like, oh things that travel into space :)
Thanks for the link!

Ohh I see them in the totaltools catalogue and was wondering if they are any good
I bought a full set of EGO stuff (mower, blower, whipper snipper, hedger) and have been pretty pleased with it all. Definitely build better than the stuff you can buy at Bunnings.

It is true the battery stuff is powerful, however i have had a couple instances when the grass is too thick and it will bog down and stop. That said, if i just go higher and slower, it will eventually do the trick.

It's all pricier, but worth the money IMO, especially the whipper snipper, that thing is a beast. It has auto line feed which works remarkably well.

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
Im not buying into he hype of "state of the art"
It's not hype - that phrase was simply my description of it, and I stand by it.

As far as I am aware, Tesla is the first car to extract heat from over a dozen heat sources and distribute that heat to places that need heat (or dissipate if necessary). That makes the car very energy efficient (I think it's one of the most energy efficient EV's on the market). Hence state of the art.

The windscreen wipers, on the other hand, are not state of the art. Simply credit where it's due... :)

@Jules22 this is the charging station in the Barossa I was talking about, has heaps of stalls and a big sign out front with the variable prices
Bit confusing though..

IMG_0295.jpeg

Rocland Nuriootpa | Nuriootpa, SA | EV Station

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
If you turn off Auto wipers, it may stay in manual mode. You should probably test it and let us know?
It will stay off until you use autopilot again.

That said, I've been hesitant to praise it so much but had some rain showers again yesterday and the auto-wipers were again excellent, that's been a good couple of months now for me where they have been exceptionally good. I still get the odd dry wipe but very rare now and when it's raining they are performing better than vehicles I've had with rain sensors (faster to respond to different volumes of rainfall and better at ramping up the speed when it's needed which is one common complaint from many vehicles with rain sensors).

I definitely don't think it's been completely solved but they are starting to restore some faith that vision can do a better job than rain sensors. I think the coming months will tell us definitively if they've managed to solve it or whether they should fall back to rain sensors and just go with 'good enough' rather than trying to perfect it.

I’m guessing setting the auto-wipers and auto highbeam on when using a vision based autopilot is a safety thing.
It doesn’t set it for TACC so I hardly notice. The few times I use AP I’d be happy to give the system what it needs to be safe(r).
Smarter people than me writing this software.
A random wipe is less inconvenient than having your head scraped out of a trucks bonnet.

Reactions: Jules22
Bit of a random post, but as this thread includes ‘experiences’, this is mine so far..

I’ve clocked up just over 1,000 kms in 2 months (live very close to work), I can confidently say this is the best daily I’ve had.

Things I love:
- instant torque
- super comfortable ride
- peaceful cabin
- impressive sound system
- one pedal driving
- passenger comfort (wife and rear facing toddler)
- storage space
- $0 charging
- sentry mode (anxious when leaving my car unattended in public)

I’ve had sportier and arguably quicker cars (on paper), but there’s something special about the Tesla, which I’m sure many of you can resonate with. I drive every day as part of my job, but I always look forward to getting back in the model 3!
IMG_5784.jpeg

Bit of a random post, but as this thread includes ‘experiences’, this is mine so far..

I’ve clocked up just over 1,000 kms in 2 months (live very close to work), I can confidently say this is the best daily I’ve had.

Things I love:
- instant torque
- super comfortable ride
- peaceful cabin
- impressive sound system
- one pedal driving
- passenger comfort (wife and rear facing toddler)
- storage space
- $0 charging
- sentry mode (anxious when leaving my car unattended in public)

I’ve had sportier and arguably quicker cars (on paper), but there’s something special about the Tesla, which I’m sure many of you can resonate with. I drive every day as part of my job, but I always look forward to getting back in the model 3!
View attachment 1043049
Forgot to add 3rd tether point. That’s the shizz.

Looks awesome (I’m biased!)

I’m neigh on 7,000km and love every second I get to spend in it too :)

• Love
Reactions: Tesl3on