Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota needs to get to zero first before it can contemplate beyond zero… 🙄
why they wouldn't just call it something catchy seems a bit sus. EVs wont fit in with the expected servicing model they have.
They just built a massive new servicing and sales building at Christies Beach here in SA... The place is massive... im guessing they are hoping to be charging for replacing lots of oil filters there...

Reactions: Jules22
EVs wont fit in with the expected servicing model
Speaking of servicing, there's a video floating around of someone who took their BYD in for service and recorded it on the dash cam. They filled the washer fluid and that's it. Kept the car sitting in the lot for the whole day to make it look like they did something, can't find it again to find out what they charged him and what they claimed they did. Apparently ~$400 per year mandatory services just for the Atto! And that's before they make up some crap to charge you extra on each service.

Can see why these legacy auto brands, and more importantly the dealerships are doing everything they can to push people away from EV's.

Reactions: Vostok and dronus
Speaking of servicing, there's a video floating around of someone who took their BYD in for service and recorded it on the dash cam. They filled the washer fluid and that's it. Kept the car sitting in the lot for the whole day to make it look like they did something, can't find it again to find out what they charged him and what they claimed they did. Apparently ~$400 per year mandatory services just for the Atto! And that's before they make up some crap to charge you extra on each service.

Can see why these legacy auto brands, and more importantly the dealerships are doing everything they can to push people away from EV's.
Thats pretty bad, especially if it is "mandatory".. I remember watching a documentary years ago called "who killed the electric car" and they put figures on what legacy auto makes over the lifetime of servicing a new car. They lined up all the filters, oils, consumables, parts etc and it was huge.

Reactions: Jules22
Dronus goes on a random rant after putting 3 teaspoons of moccona intense in his cup...

And ive already read people saying "but without all those spare parts being made, and cars needing servicing, that will effect jobs and the economy etc etc"

Trees > Forest

I accidently clicked on that cranky old bogan guy on youtube in a sleepless stupor the other night. I think it was him, or someone trying to be like him. His argument against EVs (apart from the usual ones) was based on it being a conspiracy against his right to tow his caravan across the desert doing a month long boozefest/bravado trip facing more adversities than all the gold mining and opal mining shows combined with the Aussie Recovery show (i actually like that one) put together. Face a challenge - start work - face an adversity - work together to overcome it - sit around a camp fire and SAO biscuit and recollect overcoming something you didnt have to really do in the first place.
The whole time im thinking ... if im going to Darwin, im not even driving my EV, im flying.. Seems smarter... No one is depending on me to visit remote rural towns and deliver the mail... pretty sure they have email now..

Its the same argument used with "endless wars" with weapons manufacturing. Yep, people will lose jobs if the industries dont keep making weapons, and share prices will fall, but also lots more people wont get blown to pieces in some country a long way away from us. Depends whats more important to you i guess..

Dronus goes on a random rant after putting 3 teaspoons of moccona intense in his cup...

And ive already read people saying "but without all those spare parts being made, and cars needing servicing, that will effect jobs and the economy etc etc"

Trees > Forest

I accidently clicked on that cranky old bogan guy on youtube in a sleepless stupor the other night. I think it was him, or someone trying to be like him. His argument against EVs (apart from the usual ones) was based on it being a conspiracy against his right to tow his caravan across the desert doing a month long boozefest/bravado trip facing more adversities than all the gold mining and opal mining shows combined with the Aussie Recovery show (i actually like that one) put together. Face a challenge - start work - face an adversity - work together to overcome it - sit around a camp fire and SAO biscuit and recollect overcoming something you didnt have to really do in the first place.
The whole time im thinking ... if im going to Darwin, im not even driving my EV, im flying.. Seems smarter... No one is depending on me to visit remote rural towns and deliver the mail... pretty sure they have email now..

Its the same argument used with "endless wars" with weapons manufacturing. Yep, people will lose jobs if the industries dont keep making weapons, and share prices will fall, but also lots more people wont get blown to pieces in some country a long way away from us. Depends whats more important to you i guess..
All that and a lot more new people gets a lot more meaningful relevant new jobs related to EV's, chargers/charging stations, rooftop solars, solar/wind farms, Local/Zonal storage, Newgen billing platforms etc etc. Whatever Andrew forrest said in his recent interview has everything. "It is going to happen anyway. So stop beating the bush and work towards it"

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
All that and a lot more new people gets a lot more meaningful relevant new jobs related to EV's, chargers/charging stations, rooftop solars, solar/wind farms, Local/Zonal storage, Newgen billing platforms etc etc. Whatever Andrew forrest said in his recent interview has everything. "It is going to happen anyway. So stop beating the bush and work towards it"
Very good point, and something that mostly doesnt get mentioned.

Maybe you could try bluffing them with these rates Origin gave me (their improved offer)? See if AGL will improve your plan without switching.
View attachment 1024126
View attachment 1024127
I just spoke with AGL.
They wouldnt budge on rates and started spruking some monthly thing and then at some stage the person was referring to MJ which im pretty sure is Gas which was confusing..
Might be the last straw

• Funny
Reactions: Tesl3on
I seem to be collecting all kinds of pubes in my front grille thing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean this out?

IMG_9499.jpeg

I seem to be collecting all kinds of pubes in my front grille thing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean this out?

View attachment 1024375
Take it to MyCar? They will do it for $400 and top up your washer fluid.

Just to add to that, I enquired with the Service Manager at our local Kia/Hyundai dealership when picking up my wife's diesel SUV after a service. Lovely guy, no disrespect to him, anyway, we were talking about EV's and I enquired as to what they actaully do when servicing an EV there.
He replied, 'not much'. I guess it does reflect the servicing cost when compared to ICE vehicles, and I understand they need to have that income flow.

Maybe thats why the dealers are not pushing to sell EV's as hard as ICE cars, as the dealers make the majority of their profits from servicing and parts.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Take it to MyCar? They will do it for $400 and top up your washer fluid.

Just to add to that, I enquired with the Service Manager at our local Kia/Hyundai dealership when picking up my wife's diesel SUV after a service. Lovely guy, no disrespect to him, anyway, we were talking about EV's and I enquired as to what they actaully do when servicing an EV there.
He replied, 'not much'. I guess it does reflect the servicing cost when compared to ICE vehicles, and I understand they need to have that income flow.

Maybe thats why the dealers are not pushing to sell EV's as hard as ICE cars, as the dealers make the majority of their profits from servicing and parts.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
yeah and i guess people are used to having to pay for servicing as part of owning a car and wouldn't question it. Just like they wouldn't question what gets done when an ice car is serviced.
People will pay for all kinds of stuff they dont need. Like me on AliExpress..

• Funny
Reactions: Riasta and Moops
This, among other things, is why it was always delusional for the legacy carmakers to think they could “crush Tesla at a whim” and at a time of their choosing, as if a BEV was only a tiny tweak to their existing product design and manufacturing skills.

Of course, this never was the case, as the legacies are now discovering. First, they didn’t really try to pivot to BEVs until the horse had already bolted. Then, they discovered making good BEVs is much, much harder than they ever realised, and a whole suite of new skills are required that they didn’t have. And finally, because they didn’t have 10 years of learned experience under their belt making and optimising BEV design and production, their products were generally inferior to competitor products on important metrics, and they couldn’t make them at a profit.

It’s a textbook case of disruption of an established industry.
I love it!!

yeah and i guess people are used to having to pay for servicing as part of owning a car and wouldn't question it. Just like they wouldn't question what gets done when an ice car is serviced.
People will pay for all kinds of stuff they dont need. Like me on AliExpress..
Someone was just telling me Audi, Merc, BMW are all in the 400-800 per year for their EV's if you pay for a 3 or 5 year package! Sounds like a suckers tax!

Reactions: Moops
Hey guys, been a minute since I've posted here, have been busy at work and spending lot's of time with the car, love it! Hope you're all doing well.

Wanted to share something interesting about AutoSteer (Beta). "Allegedly, a friend of a friend" has been able to drive up and down the M5 on Auto Steer, hands on lap and zero nag the entire way.

Is this normal? Should there be nagging a few seconds after removing hands from wheel? Or is that for FSD beta only?

Reactions: dronus
Just received this in relation to the SA rebate.
I thought there was some other component that we paid up front (FBT or GST or something) that applied after 1 Jan that was also getting refunded? Ring any bells?

Ill ask them but just wanted to clariify

IMG_9504.jpeg

Hey guys, been a minute since I've posted here, have been busy at work and spending lot's of time with the car, love it! Hope you're all doing well.

Wanted to share something interesting about AutoSteer (Beta). "Allegedly, a friend of a friend" has been able to drive up and down the M5 on Auto Steer, hands on lap and zero nag the entire way.

Is this normal? Should there be nagging a few seconds after removing hands from wheel? Or is that for FSD beta only?
I missed you!

I think as long as the camera above the mirror can see your eyes you are all good.
I had long stretches on my recent trip to victoria with no nags.
If you look down it nags, so just leave your fly undone until you stop. Er, i mean keep your eyes on the road :)

• Funny
Reactions: edy80y and Jules22
I missed you!

I think as long as the camera above the mirror can see your eyes you are all good.
I had long stretches on my recent trip to victoria with no nags.
If you look down it nags, so just leave your fly undone until you stop. Er, i mean keep your eyes on the road :)
Yeah that's what I've found. There are certain circumstances it gets a bit more naggy, like roadworks etc

Reactions: edy80y
Just received this in relation to the SA rebate.
I thought there was some other component that we paid up front (FBT or GST or something) that applied after 1 Jan that was also getting refunded? Ring any bells?

Ill ask them but just wanted to clariify

View attachment 1024405
i only qualify for the stamp duty rebate which I submitted the application for last Saturday. I think it takes 5-15 working days to process. Checked a few hrs ago and status is still “submitted”.

Not aware of any other rebates, not for NSW anyways.