Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just booked my first Tesla service for Tuesday to get them to look at the steering wheel squeek. It's been reported on here before by others and it's finally starting to annoy me enough to do something. Seems to have progressively worsened since owning the vehicle. There's also another rattle I get which sounds like it comes from the passenger side under the dash, but I can't replicate this one consistently and only happens on rough road surfaces. I listed it as well to see if they can do anything.
Will report back on my experience next week

Just booked my first Tesla service for Tuesday to get them to look at the steering wheel squeek. It's been reported on here before by others and it's finally starting to annoy me enough to do something. Seems to have progressively worsened since owning the vehicle. There's also another rattle I get which sounds like it comes from the passenger side under the dash, but I can't replicate this one consistently and only happens on rough road surfaces. I listed it as well to see if they can do anything.
Will report back on my experience next week
I take mine in that day for a steering wheel replacement (arranged in March) to address creaking noises coming from the wheel.

Mine also has the dreaded crackly noise when you push on certain sections of the steering wheel or whilst turning. Hasn't annoyed me too much to be bothered to bring it in but if it gets worse i'll see if I can book a mobile service for them to come have a look.

Reactions: dronus
There's also another rattle I get which sounds like it comes from the passenger side under the dash, but I can't replicate this one consistently and only happens on rough road surfaces.
So I did some more driving on rough country roads this weekend and this second rattle became way more apparent. I've isolated the noise to coming from the rear view mirror assembly. It sounds like a metal clip or something, but it's a pretty horrible buzzing noise - worse than anything the steering wheel does. I've added this to the service notes along with this video where you can hear it pretty clearly.

So I did some more driving on rough country roads this weekend and this second rattle became way more apparent. I've isolated the noise to coming from the rear view mirror assembly. It sounds like a metal clip or something, but it's a pretty horrible buzzing noise - worse than anything the steering wheel does. I've added this to the service notes along with this video where you can hear it pretty clearly.

Ohh i have a similar noise, thought it was just a screw loose in my head.
This sounds more likely :)

Mines started squeeking again so the tape didnt fix it.

I just turn the music up now.. Or use the squeek as an opportunity to practice acceptance of what is :)

When they have a good solution ill go back :)
oh noo, post some vids of the noise if ya can, be good to compare what noise it was, as I had the creak on turning my wheel which they fixed

ever since they fixed mine, its been good, only heard it once or twice reversing out my driveway and turning at the same time and when the car is cold (ie hasn't been driven yet just fresh coming out of drive way in the morning

oh noo, post some vids of the noise if ya can, be good to compare what noise it was, as I had the creak on turning my wheel which they fixed

ever since they fixed mine, its been good, only heard it once or twice reversing out my driveway and turning at the same time and when the car is cold (ie hasn't been driven yet just fresh coming out of drive way in the morning
Will do, I might go for a drive shortly and see if i can record it.

Reactions: Mes1
Mines started squeeking again so the tape didnt fix it.

I just turn the music up now.. Or use the squeek as an opportunity to practice acceptance of what is :)

When they have a good solution ill go back :)
I am not sure what they did to fix mine but I have driven another 2200km or so since and it hasn't come back. But the driver seat noise has, it isn't as bad as it was but it is slowly getting worse again.

I am not sure what they did to fix mine but I have driven another 2200km or so since and it hasn't come back. But the driver seat noise has, it isn't as bad as it was but it is slowly getting worse again.
Hrmm maybe its because i dont drive enough and something needs to wear itself out hahaha, ive just clicked over 9000km so the new car squeeks and rattle will either get better worse about now :)

I was just about to reply in the phantom braking thread, but then though it might be more appropriate to ask here.

With the setting "forward collision warning" in the manual it states:

By default, Forward Collision Warning is turned on. To turn off or adjust sensitivity, touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision Warning. Instead of the default warning level of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or you can choose to be warned Late or Early.

I have this setting on "late" and i still get the car slowing down when a car passes in front of me, with plenty of space that (unless they stop) there would never be a collision. It can interrupt the flow of traffic a bit, especially with Adelaide tailgaters, lane mergers and generally crackhead driving behaviour.

I get it, its a safety feature and ill leave it on, but just wanted to confirm that "late" means "leave it as long as possible" or do i have this around the wrong way?

Recent experiences with the M3H safety systems reassure me that they are a lot more clever than i am, and i have confidence they can react faster than i can but i just wanted to throw my thoughts out there :)