Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla app works well on all those phones except for the uwb which is yet to arrive in the android app. I tried in many different versions from android 9 all the way to my latest s24ultra with android 14. All worked flawlessly. So nothing to be afraid of for nothing or oneplus.
So tempted to pull the trigger on the nothing2 phone but it looks like it doesnt support UWB anyway?

Reactions: jeevas123

I'm sure the Tesla Powerwall is a great product, and the integration is interesting...

My solar system is different:

• three phase power (when we first installed ducted air con 20 years ago, you couldn't get a single phase system with the power we have... now you can)
  • Fronius inverter
  • Fronius WattPilot EVSE (charger)
  • BYD battery (19.3kWh).

I went this way because it was no more expensive than a solution with Powerwall, it offers backup on all three phases, and I got roughly 50% more storage.

The configuration was a bit more complex (mainly done by the installer, but I sorted the WattPilot), but the integration is great. With ANY EV that I plug in, I have the WattPilot set up to use excess solar. Charging starts when the house battery is full and there's at least 1.4kW spare. Charge rate modulates in line with available energy (allows for clouds, loads in the house, whatever). It's working really well.

A day last week:

1709437828942.png

I'm sure the Tesla Powerwall is a great product, and the integration is interesting...

My solar system is different:

• three phase power (when we first installed ducted air con 20 years ago, you couldn't get a single phase system with the power we have... now you can)
  • Fronius inverter
  • Fronius WattPilot EVSE (charger)
  • BYD battery (19.3kWh).

I went this way because it was no more expensive than a solution with Powerwall, it offers backup on all three phases, and I got roughly 50% more storage.

The configuration was a bit more complex (mainly done by the installer, but I sorted the WattPilot), but the integration is great. With ANY EV that I plug in, I have the WattPilot set up to use excess solar. Charging starts when the house battery is full and there's at least 1.4kW spare. Charge rate modulates in line with available energy (allows for clouds, loads in the house, whatever). It's working really well.

A day last week:

View attachment 1024085
Nice, I don't worry about charge on solar most times, I try to hunt for the low or preferably negative tariffs and use those, leaving my battery energy to export at night when I get much higher rates.

@Jules22 check out the Autopilot in this van (skip to about 29 mins in if thats all you want to see)

Interesting.

Will have to see if they try to export it. Will have to meet safety standards (most important of which is of course the middle tether😁)

Could definitely be a threat to the EV9 if it does.

Charging was very interesting. 800v and 500kw hope the battery management system is up to the task!

Lots of the UI elements looked VERY familiar. I think this was the company that had an ex Tesla employee steal a bunch of IP. Par for the course in China though. May be an issue if they were to try to export though.

Auto pilot looked interesting. No side vision as far as I could see. From his comments and the way it cut out I got the impression it was only for premapped roads.

Only other issue is if they can make it profitably or have the reserves to stay afloat until they can. Last I heard was still only BYD who had managed to become profitable on EVs and only just (other than Tesla of course).

Its all higher rates here so it will be interesting!!
My tip for you is to change energy providers.

I went from Origin (rates were far too high even for SA) to AGL. Then Origin offered me better rates and I went back with them. I did some research comparing different plans and my usage, and ended up going with OVO (connected yesterday) as I’m a shift worker and can take advantage of the different windows despite the high daily usage charge. Now AGL want to offer me a better deal (sent me a text today), and Origin probably won’t be far behind.

I’m the last person to haggle for a deal generally, but it’s amazing what they will offer you if you leave.

Reactions: dronus
My tip for you is to change energy providers.

I went from Origin (rates were far too high even for SA) to AGL. Then Origin offered me better rates and I went back with them. I did some research comparing different plans and my usage, and ended up going with OVO (connected yesterday) as I’m a shift worker and can take advantage of the different windows despite the high daily usage charge. Now AGL want to offer me a better deal (sent me a text today), and Origin probably won’t be far behind.

I’m the last person to haggle for a deal generally, but it’s amazing what they will offer you if you leave.
Ohh cool yeah im on some super saver plan with AGL, working from home tomorrow so might phone around. The online things dont show any rates any better.

Reactions: Tesl3on
Of course a small sedan is going to be significantly ahead with efficiency of larger sedans and suv’s. The table is not for a single class of vehicle.
However if you compare the BYD Seal with the Model 3, the Model 3 travels circa 25% further on the same energy, based on the test results, and these are directly comparable vehicles. That’s a significant difference IMHO.

Reactions: Vostok and Jules22