Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I'm still getting range anxiety haha I'm afraid to let it drop below 50-60% cos if it's at 50% and I got like a 120km drive round trip planned the next day, worried it won't make it, and don't wanna feel like inconvenience family by stopping at a charger for 30-60mins.

Will thus anxiety go away, should I let it drop to 20-30% before charging or just peace of mind top up to 100% every few days from 60.

I only average 200 to 250kms per week for reference
Up to you really, do what you feel comfortable with. I've always been happy to let my ICE vehicle get way down before refueling, I don't know if it's from having a good understanding of fuel management with my aviation background or what.

My first ever road trip in a Tesla I did let it get down to 5% for one of the stops, which was slightly anxiety inducing, but after that it didn't really phase me, as long as I know I have enough to divert to another charger or two, I'm good.

My first week with the new Tesla, I let it get down to around 10% before I recharged it. I did do some opportune small charges through the week based on when power prices were good or I just had excess solar with low feed in rates.

Just do what works for you, you'll get more comfortable with it over time. Just make sure you have options, especially on a road trip. Tesla SC's are very reliable but always have that plan B in your mind when deciding how far to push it.

Tesla App Gains Ultra Wideband Support to Improve Phone Keys

^ Also good news for iPhones that have UWB (iPhone 11 and later)

"While some Android phones also include UWB hardware, Tesla is launching support for the iPhone first, but we can expect supported Android phones running Android 13 or later to be added at some point in the future as well." Tesla Update 2024.2.3 Is Improving Phone Keys By Adding Ultra-Wideband Support
Was following the same thing. Just got my s24 ultra after 6 long years with still good as gold lg v30+. Even though bluetooth signal strength based locking unlocking is kind of okay I can see many times when it didn't work and you have to take the phone from pocket or wake up and open the app even though not a show stopper. Wonder if uwb can be something which can be made to work even if the phone is off out of charge etc like some phones with NFC can work in off/out of charge situations.

Hey all, I'm still getting range anxiety haha I'm afraid to let it drop below 50-60% cos if it's at 50% and I got like a 120km drive round trip planned the next day, worried it won't make it, and don't wanna feel like inconvenience family by stopping at a charger for 30-60mins.

Will thus anxiety go away, should I let it drop to 20-30% before charging or just peace of mind top up to 100% every few days from 60.

I only average 200 to 250kms per week for reference
Range anxiety subsides with time. My recommendation (until it does) is do whatever it says for your car in the manual, and look for any exclusions to your battery warranty in the warranty document. Once those are understood, just do whatever works for you within those parameters.

Up to you really, do what you feel comfortable with. I've always been happy to let my ICE vehicle get way down before refueling, I don't know if it's from having a good understanding of fuel management with my aviation background or what.

My first ever road trip in a Tesla I did let it get down to 5% for one of the stops, which was slightly anxiety inducing, but after that it didn't really phase me, as long as I know I have enough to divert to another charger or two, I'm good.

My first week with the new Tesla, I let it get down to around 10% before I recharged it. I did do some opportune small charges through the week based on when power prices were good or I just had excess solar with low feed in rates.

Just do what works for you, you'll get more comfortable with it over time. Just make sure you have options, especially on a road trip. Tesla SC's are very reliable but always have that plan B in your mind when deciding how far to push it.

I used to be a glider pilot.

Range anxiety sounds a lot like the anxiety that glider pilots endure when flying cross-country without an engine. You always have to have a plan in the back of your mind to deal with the fact that the 'lift' can go away at any time.

If you are an experienced pilot, and have a high degree of trust in the fact that 'the next thermal is out there somewhere' and that you'll be able to find it and use it, then your press on.

But if you're crossing badlands, or the weather is deteriorating, you always want to get and stay as high as you can (like having a fully-charged battery), which gives you the greatest possible range before landing. If you don't find another thermal, you ARE landing.

The best place to land is at an airfield - because then you have the option of calling in a tug-plane and getting towed out. Expensive, but fast. Or you call some mates to bring the trailer, you take off the wings, stow the bird and drive back to base. This is like planning to stop by a supercharger, I guess.

I've landed a couple of times in paddocks out west. Very safe if you know what to look for and if you make the decision to land early enough to give plenty of time to plan for the landing, inspect the paddock, make a clean circuit, remember to put the wheel down. Ideally, you'll be near the farm house (phone, cold drink, etc.).

A good glider pilot will always try to have a few options on the boil at any time... and I guess it's the same for charging stations.

Photo is many moons ago: bringing the (club-owned) baby back home after cross-country flying camp.

1707615876592.jpeg

And this one is even earlier: me heading off for a cross-country flight from Forbes.

1707616000246.jpeg

Tried autopilot (and autosteer) out for past few days. It tried to swerve into a car in Kogarah in the intersection just after the hospital. Had to disengage + auto emergency brakes came on. Was scary. Be wary of this road, no idea why it can't handle it at all

Attachments

• firefox_KIG03yTBtn.jpg
    firefox_KIG03yTBtn.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 20
Tried autopilot (and autosteer) out for past few days. It tried to swerve into a car in Kogarah in the intersection just after the hospital. Had to disengage + auto emergency brakes came on. Was scary. Be wary of this road, no idea why it can't handle it at all
With the limitations currently in Australia I'd be very wary of it in intersections and any busy areas until they allow us to use the latest beta versions it's just not something you can rely on in those sorts of areas without being ready to take over immediately.

Well i just got back from a drive out to the Barossa and back.

The car was awesome. I gave myself some exposure to TACC and Auto pilot. TACC is good in the suburban areas, mainly for a speed limiting type thing, but i do enjoy "driving the car" so did that mostly. I wouldn't recommend autopilot in city streets, i don't think that is what it is designed for.

North of the brickworks market on South road there are no more lights all the way to whoop whoop.. once i got into the flow i hit autopilot and relaxed while it drove for me. I only had to reengage it when changing lanes a couple of times. When you indicate it drops back to TACC until you are fully in the lane, then double tap and we are back in Autopilot. If i was doing this a lot id drop the $5k on advanced autopilot.. can you get a free trial of it? :)

Nephews and family loved the car, and the brother in law seemed to enjoy experiencing driving one for the first time.

On the way back i had a similar run, getting onto the northern expressway at gawler, one lane change to get out of the Elizabeth bound lane and hit Auto Pilot. Traffic was light and doing the limit so it drove with only one nag all the way back to the brickworks market. Amazing technology.

About 100km each way, maybe 30km showing off there, and i got back home with 68%. The showing off was a bit heavy on the right foot and there was a lot of highway driving. Good little shake down drive so im comfortable with the much longer trip to Vic coming up.

Ive nailed the indicators now too, i can tell where they are by feel and muscle memory.

Awesome car. Now to wipe the bugs off the front so they dont bake on!

it would be good to get that matrix headlight upgrade sent out before the trip to vic as i reakon ill be doing some night driving.

Have you had a chance to test it out @Jules22 ?
Still haven't lol. Was kinda the plan last night when we went out for dinner but really doesn't get dark enough till 2100 and then you have to find somewhere with no lights and traffic etc

Reactions: dronus
I have been treating mine like I did the ICE and just running it down. Got to 18% on Thursday, my lowest yet and charged it up Friday to 100% by Saturday morning.

Did a trip Saturday morning starting with 100% and was my first time to actually made an effort to test the range. Drove 170km and came back with 65% battery left. Which is a bit amazing and is bang on the maximum range my RWD is supposed to be able to achieve. And I have removed the aero wheel covers too.

Coming back was fun, I was on a single lane road for a while heading back to the Bruce Highway and had two white Model 3’s right behind me for a while, the three of us in a line. Must have looked a bit odd. We got to a traffic light and another lane appeared to the side and a BYD Atto came roaring past, breaking the speed limit by at least 30kph just to get by us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
I have been treating mine like I did the ICE and just running it down. Got to 18% on Thursday, my lowest yet and charged it up Friday to 100% by Saturday morning.

Did a trip Saturday morning starting with 100% and was my first time to actually made an effort to test the range. Drove 170km and came back with 65% battery left. Which is a bit amazing and is bang on the maximum range my RWD is supposed to be able to achieve. And I have removed the aero wheel covers too.

Coming back was fun, I was on a single lane road for a while heading back to the Bruce Highway and had two white Model 3’s right behind me for a while, the three of us in a line. Must have looked a bit odd. We got to a traffic light and another lane appeared to the side and a BYD Atto came roaring passed, breaking the speed limit by at least 30kph just to get by us.
Ha thats heaps good.

I noticed a few Teslas today, but not too many. When i was overtaking a van i think the guy looked a bit suprised, like i had snuck up on him.. eerily quiet.

Im glad i didnt buy a BYD during that seemingly endless waiting.. id really regret it now forsure.

Reactions: Murphster
I find the battery life a bit weird, interesting. I am not the kind of guy to delve much into these things and don’t have the patience to track kms and the like. But to my mind the battery does run down quicker doing lots of short trips, which is my usual driving tbh, and yet on a longer motorway trip it seems to have so much more range.

I guess this is normal, going in a straight line, no stopping and starting etc.. Kinda like a petrol engine. I just find it odd sometimes how quickly the battery life goes down.

Not complaining, bloody easy to stick on charge again. Just takes some getting used to.

Reactions: dronus
Have you clicked over 1000km yet?
890 at the moment.

Had a mustang pull up next to me at the lights. He was revving a bit and just ignored him. Lights went green and he floors it, so I say F it, use about half to 3/4 throttle and easily pull him in and pass him with a big grin on my face. Wish they could see how little effort it is to pass them lol. Need an external throttle % indicator. Surely you have found one of those @dronus ?