Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was all a bit of a storm in a teacup huh.
It's funny, I still constantly see comments saying it's "impossible" to use on roundabouts and "dangerous" despite having a video of it being clearly neither of those after only two days of ownership.

99% of those making those comments haven't even done a test drive though, the rest mostly have just done a quick drive or two.

Only one or two negative comments from actual highland owners, while most owners comment thats ranging from that they either got used to it very easily and quickly to that they now actually prefer the buttons and would never go back to stalks.

It's definitely a massive fear of change issue.

Last edited:
It's funny, I still constantly see comments saying it's "impossible" to use on roundabouts and "dangerous" despite having a video of it being clearly neither of those after only two days of ownership.

99% of those making those comments haven't even done a test drive though, and the only one or two negative comments from actual highland owners, while most owners comment that they either got used to it fairly easily or actually prefer the buttons now and would never go back to stalks.

It's definitely a massive fear of change issue.
Agree 100%.

Same thing happened with Holden.

Keyboard warriors who had never driven one influenced others who naively believed them, tanking sales. Once they drove it they said it is a really good car.

They got twice the clicks though, so at least they got what they wanted from it.

I had to drive a izuzu dmax this week. The lack of acceleration, spongy brakes and poor steering feedback made me feel very uncomfortable and almost unsafe. Was glad to get out of it.

Reactions: Mes1 and AusMar
Agree 100%.

Same thing happened with Holden.

Keyboard warriors who had never driven one influenced others who naively believed them, tanking sales. Once they drove it they said it is a really good car.

They got twice the clicks though, so at least they got what they wanted from it.

I had to drive a izuzu dmax this week. The lack of acceleration, spongy brakes and poor steering feedback made me feel very uncomfortable and almost unsafe. Was glad to get out of it.
Yeah, the fact that Elon/Tesla are constantly willing to push the boundaries and not just accept current technology because it kinda works but leads to a dead end is what I love about this car.

Of course it invites every fool who thinks he's so much smarter than Elon/Tesla to opine how they'd do it better, if only 1% of them had 10% of the capacity they think they have, the world would be a fantastic place!

They are not going to get everything right, but as I've said to people I've led in a whole variety of walks of life, if you are not making mistakes, you are not trying. In reality though while they've got timeframes wrong quite often (which is again a very common issue that anyone who has run tech firms or managed engineers/developers will be used to) they haven't made too many significant complete fails.

The number of times Elon has proven the 'experts' completely wrong, not just in Tesla but in multiple industries in parallel, show why this willingness to question everything and push boundaries works. The world we are living in today would not be the same without that approach. I'm certainly willing to go to "all that effort" to temporarilly have to manually adjust my wiper speed occasionally in order to benefit from all of these advances.

Last edited:
It takes vision and confidence to make change.

Tesla got it wrong on the yoke in the refreshed S/X in USA. Through sheer weight of negative sentiment, they eventually reverted to a conventional steering wheel being standard, and the yoke is now a $1000 option. Elon had a rare moment of eating the **** sandwich on that one.

So not all “vision and confidence” is well thought out.

Reactions: dronus
Tesla got it wrong on the yoke in the refreshed S/X in USA. Through sheer weight of negative sentiment, they eventually reverted to a conventional steering wheel being standard, and the yoke is now a $1000 option. Elon had a rare moment of eating the **** sandwich on that one.

But without the “vision and confidence” they would never have tried.

To try and fail and learn is better than not try, not fail and not learn.

Reactions: Jules22

Yep, the yoke is a good example of a miss. I personally believe it will make a comeback at some point, if they implement steer by wire on the S/X, but yes, it definitely didn't work out as planned. Nobody hits a home run without taking a swing though.

Watching Kayo on A Better Theatre works well. I did end up hotspotting my phone and using my 5G connection as the Tesla LTE kept wanting to bring the quality down.

Plex struggled to play even on 5G which was a shame - might try it again on lower bitrate content.
1000000631.jpg

I can’t remember if I saw this on Facebook or here but does anyone have Schmickclub membership? Trying to work out if it’s worthwhile.

I can’t remember if I saw this on Facebook or here but does anyone have Schmickclub membership? Trying to work out if it’s worthwhile.

My previous ICE NL came with a scratch and dent thing which looks similar. Only issue i had was to claim it i had to take the car to a specific place over the other side of town and leave it there for the day which was pretty inconvenient. Having a mobile service woukd be better as you would be mire likely to use it (which they probably dont want haha)

Reactions: Maximillan
Anyone managed to update their UMC on 2024.2.7?

I had no problem doing this in the old car after the first charge but nothing I try this time seems to work.

A msg pops up bottom right of screen saying charge controller update in progress, but nothing seems to happen.

My previous ICE NL came with a scratch and dent thing which looks similar. Only issue i had was to claim it i had to take the car to a specific place over the other side of town and leave it there for the day which was pretty inconvenient. Having a mobile service woukd be better as you would be mire likely to use it (which they probably dont want haha)
Yeah I dug into some more reviews and it seems they are decline orientated which isn't overly surprising.