Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May I ask how did you change it? I have a RWD on order but there is no option for me to change
Some people got the option to change it, others had to phone Tesla to get it changed.

It probably relates to how far advanced your existing order is.

Your original order date is likely a factor too, because if you switch from a RWD to a P (or vice versa) and the price for those models were cheaper on your order date, then the old price applies. And for the LR there was no "old" price.

If you ordered at a time that prices were higher than now, it wouldn't be a factor.

Just for reference, I tracked the price changes for the Model Y Performance since launch date.
The RWD prices would have changed on most of those days too, but I haven't kept track of those.

10 Jun 2022 $93,900 17 Jun 2022 $96,700 6 Jan 2023 $94,900 13 Feb 2023 $95,300 4 Apr 2023 $94,900

Some people got the option to change it, others had to phone Tesla to get it changed.

It probably relates to how far advanced your existing order is.

Your original order date is likely a factor too, because if you switch from a RWD to a P (or vice versa) and the price for those models were cheaper on your order date, then the old price applies. And for the LR there was no "old" price.

If you ordered at a time that prices were higher than now, it wouldn't be a factor.

Just for reference, I tracked the price changes for the Model Y Performance since launch date.
The RWD prices would have changed on most of those days too, but I haven't kept track of those.

10 Jun 2022 $93,900 17 Jun 2022 $96,700 6 Jan 2023 $94,900 13 Feb 2023 $95,300 4 Apr 2023 $94,900
Thanks for doing this, I was interested in seeing how the MYP price changed over time. It was still cheapest at launch, the fluctuations are good, but still favoured the early adopters.

Reactions: Way Downunder
No, everyone can change it. There is a a deadline of by this coming Tuesday. You just need to contact your sales advisor. You can also do this by replying to the Tesla SMS's you've been getting.
Not quite true. It does depend on the status of your existing order. If you do not have a VIN assigned, you can change it yourself. If you have a VIN assigned and it is visible inyour account, and have a short EDD range (e.g. the typical three week range) that has NOT begun yet, you can change it by phoning Tesla sales. If your short EDD range has begun then you will have to argue the case. I think the sales people aren't automatically able to change it when you are very close to delivery (Within your final EDD range or have a delivery date). This is what experience of the last week indicates. As always, Tesla make the rules (and to be fair they are pretty flexible). And of course you can always cancel your order right up to accepting delivery, you will just lose your deposit and I would think lose your earlier order date (Your place in the queue).

Not quite true. It does depend on the status of your existing order. If you do not have a VIN assigned, you can change it yourself. If you have a VIN assigned and it is visible inyour account, and have a short EDD range (e.g. the typical three week range) that has NOT begun yet, you can change it by phoning Tesla sales. If your short EDD range has begun then you will have to argue the case. I think the sales people aren't automatically able to change it when you are very close to delivery (Within your final EDD range or have a delivery date). This is what experience of the last week indicates. As always, Tesla make the rules (and to be fair they are pretty flexible). And of course you can always cancel your order right up to accepting delivery, you will just lose your deposit and I would think lose your earlier order date (Your place in the queue).
I already have my pickup date in 2 weeks time. See my signature. My SA said I have until Tuesday to decide.

If you cancel you lose your $400 deposit and go to the back of the line. If you change your config then your deposit and order date remains the same.
Agree on the deposit but not on the order date - I changed from MYP to LR on 4 Apr (Day 1 for LR). My order date is 6 Apr as this is when my change was approved. I had a pick up date for MYP. So the change had to be approved by higher authorities at Tesla Australia.

What’s strange is that I have a new order agreement that says LR but my account is still showing MYP delivery appointment. I can also see link to apply for vehicle registration form but when I click on it I get an error. The final invoice for MYP has disappeared.

I think technically you can cancel order your order until the car is registered your name. Have a read of your order agreement. SA maybe different.
No it's not a cancellation. They are going to change my order and I won't lose the order fee. I just decided not to do it.

Not really sure what you are arguing about. I talked to the Tesla rep. Ie. A Tesla employee. Are you a Tesla employee?

No it's not a cancellation. They are going to change my order and I won't lose the order fee. I just decided not to do it.

Not really sure what you are arguing about. I talked to the Tesla rep. Ie. A Tesla employee. Are you a Tesla employee?
I am not but my bad. All I meant to say is my SA couldn’t change my order. He had to get it approved. Sounds like yours could.

I changed from MYP to LR on 4 Apr (Day 1 for LR). My order date is 6 Apr as this is when my change was approved
The order date that shows on your agreement will be from the day that you made the change, but this is not the order date that is used for purposes of assigning you a VIN.

There are several instances in this thread of people giving up on the wait for the MYP and switching to a RWD, and getting a VIN shortly thereafter.

And my order agreement says "Order placed with electronically accepted terms: 06/01/2023" because that's when I last updated my config, but I was issued a VIN on the 20th of Feb along with many other launch day orders.

Since the new model Y in Australia are still coming with USS. But have they changed the cameras to 5MP though????
It is a part of the HW4 package. There is no update on when this will be available on Model Y yet.
EDIT: There is a YouTube video talking about this upgrade for the LHD market. Someone who recently received delivery in Australia may be able to confirm if Shanghai produced Model Y has started implementing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingabbis
I don't have a VIN and no EDD either but still I can't change it myself to the LR,

I'm jumping ship. The new price on the Model 3 Long Range has meant that stamp duty is gone. The true price drop is pretty decent, something not really being talked about on websites for some reason.

I mainly wanted the Y because the base had the same sound system (verses base M3 without) and it could be rented out on Evee easier. I've now moved to Novated lease which will provide tax benefits that exceed anything I'll make on Evee/Turo (seems like hosts are struggling to get any bookings now too).

That said - I haven't cancelled my order yet. We'll see how I feel if I get a Feb-May MY date before my April-May M3 date 😂

I'm jumping ship. The new price on the Model 3 Long Range has meant that stamp duty is gone. The true price drop is pretty decent, something not really being talked about on websites for some reason.

I mainly wanted the Y because the base had the same sound system (verses base M3 without) and it could be rented out on Evee easier. I've now moved to Novated lease which will provide tax benefits that exceed anything I'll make on Evee/Turo (seems like hosts are struggling to get any bookings now too).

That said - I haven't cancelled my order yet. We'll see how I feel if I get a Feb-May MY date before my April-May M3 date 😂
Good luck. For me, the MY's extra space and towing capacity still make it the better choice, but I admit the M3LR's driving range is appealing for long road trips.

It is interesting that you say Evee/Turo hosts are struggling for bookings. I had wondered about using them as a side hustle, but decided it just wasn't worth the hassle of scheduling, meeting customers, teaching them the car and dealing with their problems. It's just too inefficient with one car, rather than a hire car operator with a fleet of cars.

It's a similar story with ride-sharing. I actually wouldn't mind spending some time driving people around and letting them experience an EV while making a modest income on my own schedule. However, it's not worth it to spend a couple of thousand dollars to get set up with medicals, commercial insurance, etc (and warranty issues under commercial use) unless you are ride-sharing as a major part of your income.

Reactions: brend0s