Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normal household general power outlets (GPO) are rated to 10A, so you use the 10A (or the 8A) tail in those. The 15A (or 12A) tail is intended for 15A outlets, which you might have in your garage or shed, but are usually something you specifically request from the electrician. 15A outlets and plugs have a larger earth tang/socket. You can't fit a 15A plug into a 10A socket.

If you aren't already aware, there is also an aftermarket (non-Tesla) 32A tail you can buy for the UMC. If your electrician can install the correct 32A socket, you can then charge at 32 amps, which is four times faster than using an 8A tail in a GPO.
Thank you for this info! Looking forward to charging the car when I get it in July (2023?)

Reactions: t3sla-007
How have you found the EAP features like autopark and summon? It is a big expense, but I can see my wife valuing autopark if it is reliable. Summon sounds like a fun toy, but I assume it would only be really useful in a few limited circumstances. I would be interested to hear your review.
I've only seen videos of Tesla's autopark and it seems to be hit or miss. We have it in our current car (Benz E Class) and it works well most of the time but it's MUCH slower than doing it yourself. In my experience I seem to need autopark only in places it's very busy (busy roads and supermarket car parks etc) and it's very frustrating the slowness of the process.

Last edited:
Normal household general power outlets (GPO) are rated to 10A, so you use the 10A (or the 8A) tail in those. The 15A (or 12A) tail is intended for 15A outlets, which you might have in your garage or shed, but are usually something you specifically request from the electrician. 15A outlets and plugs have a larger earth tang/socket. You can't fit a 15A plug into a 10A socket.

If you aren't already aware, there is also an aftermarket (non-Tesla) 32A tail you can buy for the UMC. If your electrician can install the correct 32A socket, you can then charge at 32 amps, which is four times faster than using an 8A tail in a GPO.
Additional question which might be obvious to some: Will the update from 8A to 10A tail mean faster charging at home or is that more to do with voltage?

Additional question which might be obvious to some: Will the update from 8A to 10A tail mean faster charging at home or is that more to do with voltage?
If you get a 10A tail, it will initially charge at 8A X your voltage (e.g. 230V X 8A = 1840W = 1.84kW). After updating, it will charge at 10A (230x10 = 2300W). A 15A tail x 230V = 3450W.

Hi All,
Got some info from Mulgrave..
They are saying not enough space there for receiving from port Melbourne.
My guess is truck unavailability also adding to this.
Hopefully will hear something mid next week
Thanks RM2003, I guess your EDD is still the same? One of my other friends had similar EDD got delivery SMS yesterday and booked delivery next week.

I got VINdicated yesterday for my 06/02/2023 vanilla MY order from Melbourne. EDT is now 6th June -27th June, which ship might this be on?

I was pleasantly surprised the car was birthed on my exact birthday 06/05. I have never thought of appending a custom plate to a car, but I have got to name this one my name. Anyone familiar with the processing of swapping to the custom plate? I rang Tesla yesterday, it seems they don't do it anymore.

I also want to know how I can get a wall charger installed. My garage only has 10A/230V outlet, I can get them upgraded though. Which UMC can I purchase?

Thanks in anticipation.

• Funny
Reactions: Elite Display
Can you please elaborate? I instructed my leasing company to make final payment and can see it on the account page. But when I asked SA on the phone, he said he doesn’t make any difference.
There are customers who couldn't pick their car because of the finance clearing or failed to organize finance before prior to scheduled delivery date. This has resulted some space issue to bring new deliveries from port. He checked with my order number and the car isnt picked yet from the holding yard. Dont quote on me, just passing the info i received.

Reactions: deinau
you need a 32A outlet installed by an electrician
3ba95ebcd038c1fc9106ed8f242f3188.jpeg

There are customers who couldn't pick their car because of the finance clearing or failed to organize finance before prior to scheduled delivery date. This has resulted some space issue to bring new deliveries from port. He checked with my order number and the car isnt picked yet from the holding yard. Dont quote on me, just passing the info i received.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. An SA said to me this morning, there is no way they could plan logistics based on order date once cars are unloaded, which implies it’s a bit random and there is no system to manage and optimise delivery side of the things, no doubt they don’t care whether payment is made or not. But they are a tech company, this is nothing, just not a priority.

Reactions: RM2023
Thanks for the detailed explanation. An SA said to me this morning, there is no way they could plan logistics based on order date once cars are unloaded, which implies it’s a bit random and there is no system to manage and optimise delivery side of the things, no doubt they don’t care whether payment is made or not. But they are a tech company, this is nothing, just not a priority.
Pretty sure cars come off the boat into the holding yard, only waiting for the transporter to bring to the Tesla delivery centre. They won't sit at the holding yard as they will get charged for storage and likewise space is at a premium at the delivery centre

But what I have heard from someone awaiting delivery, is that because they already paid, Tesla called to offer them a matching spec car for pickup the next day due to someone else cancelling (possibly failed finance) rather than wait the ~2 weeks for their original assigned vehicle

Reactions: RM2023 and deinau
Pretty sure cars come off the boat into the holding yard, only waiting for the transporter to bring to the Tesla delivery centre. They won't sit at the holding yard as they will get charged for storage and likewise space is at a premium at the delivery centre

But what I have heard from someone awaiting delivery, is that because they already paid, Tesla called to offer them a matching spec car for pickup the next day due to someone else cancelling (possibly failed finance) rather than wait the ~2 weeks for their original assigned vehicle
Thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed now.

I also want to know how I can get a wall charger installed. My garage only has 10A/230V outlet, I can get them upgraded though. Which UMC can I purchase?

There is only one UMC available. The kit comes with two tails (swappable cords to go from the UMC body to the power socket). By some random process, some people are getting 10 amp and 15 amp tails. Others are getting 8A and 12A. The wall charger is different from the UMC. Both are available in the Tesla shop.

The UMC will work with any 10A household socket. With a 15 (or 12) amp tail, it will work with a 15 amp socket. With an aftermarket 32 amp tail (like the one in XLBo's photo), you can plug into a 32 amp socket.

If you buy the wall charger, it needs to be installed by an electrician. If you are adding a 15A or 32A socket for a UMC, you will also need to pay an electrician, although probably a bit less.

Note that a 10A UMC tail will add 6-7 km of range per hour. That may be enough of you don't drive long distances regularly and are happy to top up on a DC charger on the odd occassion when you have been driving a long way and your battery is depleted. If you only tend to drive 20 km a day, you will likely only need a 10A socket and the UMC. If you commute 200km every day, you will probably want a wall charger or 32A socket and aftermarket tail.