Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We put an order for a Red MY long range on the 2/11. From you guys experience, what are the chances it would be on this ship? No VIN yet.
Should I call Tesla to see what could be available from cancellation or general inventory? Any idea how long after a ship docking, we usually see the inventory stock update?
I changed my order to LR last week. There was nothing in inventory or available soon at all. I was told it may be January sometime but no VIN has been assigned yet. LR have the longest wait time at the moment. Performance models are available through.

If you're not assigned yet, it's probably not on the Stinkship. Consider yourself lucky. You may have to wait for the next batch in 2024 to be assigned but it's better than this mess.
Yeah it's possible. They haven't changed our delivery timeframe though. Still Nov-Dec. Maybe if there's none in that ship they will delay that date since I think theres's not many ship with MY LR coming until the end of the year.

If the car arrives and its really bad, they will not give it to you.
"within spec" is a common phrase used by Tesla but you also have a time/distance driven to report any issues.
You can also just decline to accept delivery if things are bad enough.

Take your time and go over the car with a fine tooth comb.
There are checklists around to help with this.
Some things they may be able to resolve on the spot, some may require a service ticket and some they may say "within spec".

I'm planning to do a full detail and paint correction before I apply ceramic coating so short of dents, bad scratches or other non-reparable damage, I will have no issue accepting delivery of th
Yes, my car is already in for paint correction, ceramic coating. This was booked before I took delivery.
Sweet baby Jesus @Way69 that's horrible. I am encouraged to go over my car with a light to inspect for this (if it ever bloody comes), and will not be accepting a brand new car if this is the condition Tesla thinks is acceptable...

I'm also considering the outright cancellation and re-ordering of the vehicle as we have no guarantee of the condition of the cars after being in this cursed ship for 2+ months, being fumigated, and being possibly subject to corrosion. As my concerned father said "you won't see the rust until much later mate"
I think you’re better off with it being on the ship. Mine sat outside for just shy of a month exposed to the elements.

... in the meantime.... for the Don Juan people my EDD has just been brought forward 3 days now 13th Dec-6 Jan... in Adelaide. I guess they've run out of cars to deliver as the GC hasn't made it yet and Don Juan made it to Melbourne first. I feel for you on the GC.... I'm sorry, but once your car arrives you'll love it and forget about the wait.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
Not quite - Brisbane is the first port of entry to Straya, so all quarantine related matters will be dealt there before they can be discharged to other ports. So once QSHIPS has a departure date to PK, it means it's cleared and the only issue stopping it from docking at PK is AAT work schedules (i.e. it will need to wait their turn).

Unless of course there is yet another unresolved quarantine issue that wasn't picked up at Brissy but is at PK..

I think you could find some information about this stuff on the port authority and DAFF websites etc... but they don't make very interesting reading.
Not quite, not quite - If the cargo is discharged in Brisbane, that doesn't automatically mean that all quarantine related matters have been dealt with for all ports. Under some circumstances, cargo can be allowed to discharge in the previous port and allowed to discharge at the next but could very well end up being put on hold at the next port. Cargo being allowed to discharge at the first port isn't an automatic guarantee that there won't be issues in the next port. Generally speaking, any vessel that has significant quarantine issues at the first port will be subject to heightened surveillance for the next.

Not quite, not quite - If the cargo is discharged in Brisbane, that doesn't automatically mean that all quarantine related matters have been dealt with for all ports. Under some circumstances, cargo can be allowed to discharge in the previous port and allowed to discharge at the next but could very well end up being put on hold at the next port. Cargo being allowed to discharge at the first port isn't an automatic guarantee that there won't be issues in the next port. Generally speaking, any vessel that has significant quarantine issues at the first port will be subject to heightened surveillance for the next.
That's a good point, biosecurity measures could be implemented anywhere as they occur, but I was more referring to GC's specific case. After at least two months at sea I doubt there would be anything left unchecked.

DAFF also make a distinction on how biosecurity is assessed for "First Point of Entry (FPOE) vs non-FPOE' for vessels: https://www.agriculture.gov.au/bios...y-and-non-first-point-entry/seaport-locations

1701662149791.png

So while it's always possible that further biosecurity issues arise at PK, it would be rather unlikely.

Especially considering by the time GC gets to PK, Sydney could be underwater from climate change and the world generally be extinct (including stink bugs).

Let's hope it gets here before then.

Reactions: Tony Soprano
That's a good point, biosecurity measures could be implemented anywhere as they occur, but I was more referring to GC's specific case. After at least two months at sea I doubt there would be anything left unchecked.

DAFF also make a distinction on how biosecurity is assessed for "First Point of Entry (FPOE) vs non-FPOE' for vessels: https://www.agriculture.gov.au/bios...y-and-non-first-point-entry/seaport-locations

View attachment 996150

So while it's always possible that further biosecurity issues arise at PK, it would be rather unlikely.

Especially considering by the time GC gets to PK, Sydney could be underwater from climate change and the world generally be extinct (including stink bugs).

Let's hope it gets here before then.
I don't want to paint a picture of doom and gloom but if it even get's to Port Kembla it is very likely, if not almost certain that everything that crosses the ramp in PKL will be closely monitored. If I were a betting man, I would bank on global extinction taking place before any of these cars are discharged in Australia. But like I said, I don't want to be all doom and gloom about it. :)

Thank you for the insights
I spoke to Tesla in desperation to see if i could get hands on any of those cars in "Inventory". I am based at NSW. The sales rep was kind enough to inform that the cars in inventory are actually on the ship. There is no way to forecast when they arrive. Basically someone cancelled / didn't buy, but they were manufactured and shipped. I further enquired if they'd be able to allocate a VIN number if i followed the process. The answer was a resounding Yes with no commitment on delivery timelines. They were respectful and put up with my rather tough talk. These boys have a tough job,

Reactions: Jules22
Some of them are good... Some not so much.

I have called very nicely asking if there were any updates and been told "look, it will get here when it gets here".

This was even before the second email was sent a couple of weeks back.
Yes, got a very short reply from Tesla today asking for an update…. That we will get an automated update when they are ready to share news.

Not happy with this any longer. I don’t believe they don’t know anything but just won’t share it for some reason. Maybe they worry if we know how delayed it is that people will cancel their orders.

Last edited: