Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From port Port Kembla. Is this a glimmer of hope...or just fool's gold?
IMG_1355.jpeg

If they are saying there are no new MY's due here until after February then re-assigning isn't going to do much good right now.
I just spoke to somebody at Tesla (got my welcome call/email at last) and specifically asked which part of the Jan-Feb window is more likely for my MYLR. He indicated that an early to mid Jan window is unlikely at this stage and it’s looking like late Jan. Not sure what data informed that estimate but it’s something I suppose.

I just spoke to somebody at Tesla (got my welcome call/email at last) and specifically asked which part of the Jan-Feb window is more likely for my MYLR. He indicated that an early to mid Jan window is unlikely at this stage and it’s looking like late Jan. Not sure what data informed that estimate but it’s something I suppose.
Given that each time my EDD has changed, they have guaranteed it will be delivered within that window and went as far as saying it will be at the begining of the last one, I would say the information you revieved is very accurate.

My EDD hasn't changed a 2nd time, it's sitting at 15Jan-Feb5.

I'm an Uber driver and demand in Melbourne is very high right now so I am putting away around $2k after all my running costs and family expenses. While I would be happy for my car to arrive now, I am also keen to use the waiting time to increase my deposit to 40% or more. Less money to the lender and more into my pocket.

Reactions: 0xZoom
My EDD hasn't changed a 2nd time, it's sitting at 15Jan-Feb5.

I'm an Uber driver and demand in Melbourne is very high right now so I am putting away around $2k after all my running costs and family expenses. While I would be happy for my car to arrive now, I am also keen to use the waiting time to increase my deposit to 40% or more. Less money to the lender and more into my pocket.
I thought Melbourne had some stock of LRs till last week. Have you checked the inventory ?

I thought Melbourne had some stock of LRs till last week. Have you checked the inventory ?
I ordered my car from inventory. The LR is a worse choice for Uber drivers because of its NCM battery chemistry. The NCM batteries come with the recommendation not to charge more than 80% except when needed. The standard range made in China, comes with LFP batteries which can be charged daily to 100%. In that respect the standard range actually has more useful range than the LR. I am planning to charge my car at superchargers to 100% on a daily basis, only the LFP batteries on the standard range can do that without degrading.

Reactions: newshound
I ordered my car from inventory. The LR is a worse choice for Uber drivers because of its NCM battery chemistry. The NCM batteries come with the recommendation not to charge more than 80% except when needed. The standard range made in China, comes with LFP batteries which can be charged daily to 100%. In that respect the standard range actually has more useful range than the LR. I am planning to charge my car at superchargers to 100% on a daily basis, only the LFP batteries on the standard range can do that without degrading.
Range on 80% for LR is pretty much exactly the same as RWD (LFP) on 100%, so there isn't any difference in range from day to day, but at least if need to do a longer trip one day, you have the option of charging it to 90 or 100% to get further.

Also, if you're using it for Uber and concerned about charging times (as can't do Uber drives while charging unless charging overnight at home), then the LR will charge much faster up to 80% than the RWD to 100% at a supercharger. Looking at this video below, with RWD and LR charging at the same time, when the LR hits 80%, the RWD still takes another 20mins to get to 100% (the video is done at 10x speed).

Purely on electricity used, the RWD is a bit more efficient with only 1 motor, so electricity costs would be slightly less.

Reactions: cafz and Subaru X
I got an email this morning that I have been assigned a car on the GC. Delivery estimate is Jan 14 to Feb 4.

My wife wants me to decline that as she is not comfortable with the car being on the sea for so long and all the talk about batteries, rust, etc is making her uncomfortable.

I myself have mixed thoughts.
Are we over reacting? We don't even know how long other cars stay on the seas before we get them.

Reactions: Jules22
Are we over reacting?
Definitely overreacting in regards to concerns about rust.

I don't know enough about batteries to really know whether concerns about that are valid, but it's not something I'm worried about personally.

I assume the only way to get a car from another ship would be to cancel your order completely anyway, right? And re-order in a month or two when people are being allocated non-GC cars?

Reactions: Jules22
I myself have mixed thoughts.
Are we over reacting? We don't even know how long other cars stay on the seas before we get them.
I'd have zero concerns over those things. For those who have been waiting I'd be hitting Tesla up for some sort of freebie for the wait time, even if it was just premium connectivity for a period or supercharging etc, but rust and battery issues are not a concern IMHO.

Definitely overreacting in regards to concerns about rust.

I don't know enough about batteries to really know whether concerns about that are valid, but it's not something I'm worried about personally.

I assume the only way to get a car from another ship would be to cancel your order completely anyway, right? And re-order in a month or two when people are being allocated non-GC cars?
Except i think it will be more than a month or two before they stop allocating cars form the stinkship of doom.

Called Tesla. They are happy to refund the order fee if I want to change to another shipment later. But they are not sure how long will it be before another ship is on its way and if I order now, I may get another one assigned on the GC anyway. No word on the upgraded Chinese additions coming to Australia as well.

May as well keep this one.

Has been two weeks now since GC's last departure from the port. The two previous iterations - it went back to the port in 2 week increments.

I am curious how long it will be. If the stink bug is in really bad shape, perhaps they will wait for 4 weeks before going back in? so that brings us to early Jan loading in Brissy.... kind of matches to my Jan 14 - Feb EDD