Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian MYLR to get Acceleration Boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ill re-state your comment another way "They could have just as easily put in more powerful drivetrain for the P". The P motors are already slightly different.

No because the same engines produces the same power.
And if someone wants extra they can pay for a factory tune.

Unlike Tesla who understands that the P motors produces slightly more power than the LR motor, but wanted more of a difference between the 2 and rather than doing a "factory tune" or upgrading the P motors, they decided to hobble the LR motors and then offer to unhobble by charging a $3000 fee.

Disingenuous? I would think its Tesla being disingenuous.
Let’s not kid ourselves, regardless of manufacturer it is all about money, and in the Australian market we will pay for the prestige of having more performance, more so than many other markets.
ICE manufacturers “de-tune” cars for the AU market, and then we go and buy the performance models. Sure they have more than just the retuned engine, they have body kit, badges, fancier leather… and often an extra turbo… but it is all about extracting more $ from us. Same in making them scarce, we will pay top $ up front due to FOMO

Tesla is no different, and at the end of the day they are all in business to make as much money as they can.

As another post said, we knew the spec of what we were buying for the price we paid.

The fact that the MYP has a shorter range suggest this tweak will likely come with some other “costs”.
The only reason the MYP has shorter range is because of the heavy 21" wheels with sticky sports tyres.

Reactions: Yx05 and elddum
Apart from the cost, what are the downsides to Acceleration Boost?
Motor noise?
Faster battery drain/shorter range (even if you don’t use the Sport mode)?
The fact that the MYP has a shorter range suggest this tweak will likely come with some other “costs”.
Anyone have any real world experience or facts on this?
I had Acc boost on my old Model 3. Apart from cost there was no downside. The LR spring in its step is dampened when loaded up with 4 passengers. When I added Acc Boost it overcame that and really added some punch. No range difference, apart from 1 or 2 lead foot punches you drive normally and get the same/similar economy. The Performance models have lower range due to their tyre/larger rim. Only downside to Acc boost is the price.... if you got the money to spare I'd do it .....

Reactions: elddum
So has anybody else purchased the boost yet? I had some bills come up so had to hold off but really want to hear about everybody's experience and if it is worth it or not :)

Yes I have it and it makes a very noticeable difference. I do wish that there was a 3rd acceleration mode though. The difference between Chill and Sport is quite large with the boost add on.

Yes I have it and it makes a very noticeable difference. I do wish that there was a 3rd acceleration mode though. The difference between Chill and Sport is quite large with the boost add on.
I ended up trying it for the weekend. Yes I agree, it does make a difference, however the LR is already fast and most times you can't utilise the extra boost anyway which is unfortunate. Too many drivers take off too slowly from lights etc. In the 48 hours I had it, I only managed to put my foot down once from a light and of course you don't really notice the difference just driving around :( I ended up requesting a refund for now, but down the track I will probably go ahead and re purchase.

Reactions: elddum
Well I gave in and re purchased, no going back now. Probably because Tesla gave me a performance 3 as a loaner when mine was in for a rattle and the Y seemed so slow after that lol. Damn you Tesla 🤣
So, let us know after a while… is it worth the $ to have that performance just sitting there for the few times you get to use it. Or maybe you just like doing the 0-60km sub 3sec from every set of lights? 🤣

I would love it but difficult to justify the $ for me. Maybe next Christmas present 🙏

hile… is it worth the $ to have that performance just sitting there for the few times you get to use it
I would not buy a 2nd hand Tesla with Acceleration boost because the previous owners likely to have added increased wear and tear on drive train. Whereas non acceleration boost vehicle more likely to have been owned by drivers who are gentler on the cars.