TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto Adjustable Headlights

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Jun 13, 2012.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

#1 gg_got_a_tesla, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
    Mod Note: This thread was split off from the Wipers ... and their armatures thread

What are auto brights? Tesla has auto on/off headlights and DRLs as well. Why would we need lights that go bright and dim?

2. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

I'm assuming for on a dark road, when the car doesn't see any other headlights coming at it?

There aren't too many roads like that here in my part of San Diego, but there are a few single lane, dark roads where I do turn on the brights to make sure I don't miss something in the roadway, but inevitably another car comes at me 10 seconds later and I need to turn off the brights, then turn them on again once it passes.

3. Velo1

Velo1 Member

Auto bright lights turn on and off your high-beam lights via a light sensor. For example at night without other cars in front of you or coming toward you the high-beam lights (bright lights) come on automatically. Should the high-beam sensor detect a car coming toward you or you get within a certain distance from the car in front of you (100+ feet), then the high-beams turn off. As I mentioned, the auto sensor is dead on exactly as I would have manually turned on or of my high beams.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

So you blind the person ahead of you until your 100 feet away? That's a big fail in my book. You turn your high beams off if you can see the other car's lights (either headlights or taillights). High beams are only for when there are no other cars.

In the 1950s and 1960s many higher end cars had this feature. It never worked properly, so most people just turned it to the least sensitive setting and switched manually. Eventually they stopped offering them. Perhaps the new ones are better.

5. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

From Tesla's website:

That means the headlights automatically come on when it gets dark outside. Has nothing to do with high beams.

6. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Mods ... I started this thread and now it has gone from wipers to headlights. Can you split it please?

Or it'll look like my desk. Chaos!

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

^ Welcome to the forum...... :wink:

8. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I think you misunderstand -- it is 100ft from the back of another car. Not the front.
    The EU is talking about making cars turn on FULL BRAKING automatically based on some computer sensors (Europe demands a Autonomous Emergency Braking System (AEB) for new cars by 2015 | Forums | Tesla Motors), I certainly hope the technology is good enough to deal with headlights reasonably well.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Actually, no. If you can see the other car's headlights or tail-lights, you should not have your high beams on. Period. 100 feet is entirely too close. This is particularly annoying to those who have electrochromic mirrors because they don't attenuate the light very much. I've gotten so that I just move my head out of the way because they are so poor--the manual dimming mirrors provided a lot more light attenuation.

One can always hope:smile:

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Mod Note: This thread was split off from the Wipers ... and their armatures thread

11. olanmills

olanmills Member

All of this time I thought Escalade owners were being dicks. I guess it's just the GM designers.