Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Defogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
I don't recall ever seeing this message before and can't find anything on the forum mentioning it, I'm on 2022.28.2. Is it something new ?

defog.jpg

I'm not sure when it was introduced, but I did first spot this a few weeks ago.

Though for me it was probably the first time it was actually needed this autumn, so it could have been introduced months ago.

Likewise, I didn't see it on any release notes and I'm not entirely sure what it actually changes.

Did find this link that suggests it was introduced last year, but I don't recall seeing it last year.

I was trying to defog last night, and couldn't figure out how (voice commands didn't help, thought I was trying to turn on the dome lights).

Any way to manually activate it, tapping the windscreen heater twice changes it to max, but not sure if that is the same?

I was trying to defog last night, and couldn't figure out how (voice commands didn't help, thought I was trying to turn on the dome lights).

Any way to manually activate it, tapping the windscreen heater twice changes it to max, but not sure if that is the same?

surely just the windscreen heater button as they only have a fan/heater to do that - no wires? There is a defrost as well as defog - maybe thats the double press? Not sure the difference there unless that also enables the heated section by the cameras?

If it was introduced prior to 2022.20.8 it doesn't stop the wing mirrors from fogging up mid drive when climate conditions cause this - common this time of year around here. They still need to be cleared by fumbling with the controls to manually put the heated rear window on which wasn't fogged up - and before anyone suggests, not a hope that voice control might help.

Reactions: Cnixon
If it was introduced prior to 2022.20.8 it doesn't stop the wing mirrors from fogging up mid drive when climate conditions cause this - common this time of year around here. They still need to be cleared by fumbling with the controls to manually put the heated rear window on which wasn't fogged up - and before anyone suggests, not a hope that voice control might help.
That was about to be my question this morning.
So side mirror are defogged/defrosted only when using the rear defroster button?

And if I understand correctly front 'defogging' (button towards the top of the climate controls) just use the AC blowers on the windscreen, while front 'defrosting' will use the heated elements inside the windscreen?

That was about to be my question this morning.
So side mirror are defogged/defrost only when using the rear defroster button?

And if I understand correctly front 'defogging' (button towards the top of the climate controls) just use the AC blowers on the windscreen, while front 'defrosting' will use the heated elements inside the windscreen?
The front screen heating has two levels by pressing it multiple times, roughly called Defog and Defrost, it just adjusts how much air/heat it blows onto the screen. If you have a 2022 model car, then there is also 'heated wipers' which is in the glass to defrost the area where the wipers rest. It's turned on with a separate control that's shown next to the heated wheel in the climate settings.

The front screen heating has two levels by pressing it multiple times, roughly called Defog and Defrost, it just adjusts how much air/heat it blows onto the screen. If you have a 2022 model car, then there is also 'heated wipers' which is in the glass to defrost the area where the wipers rest. It's turned on with a separate control that's shown next to the heated wheel in the climate settings.
Ah, okay. I assumed it was a heating element in the full windscreen like in my old Discovery. Good to know thanks!
Just needed defogging this morning (but the day for defrost will come :D) , and I found the side mirrors were not defogging as quickly as the rest, thank god for the side cameras instead. Hopefully it's not a malfunction as it's the first time I was trying it...

Ah, okay. I assumed it was a heating element in the full windscreen like in my old Discovery. Good to know thanks!
Just needed defogging this morning (but the day for defrost will come :D) , and I found the side mirrors were not defogging as quickly as the rest, thank god for the side cameras instead. Hopefully it's not a malfunction as it's the first time I was trying it...
I turn on the defrosting for both via the app about 10 mins before I leave or 20 if it's actually frosty, never had a problem.

Reactions: BitJam
I turn on the defrosting for both via the app about 10 mins before I leave or 20 if it's actually frosty, never had a problem.
I use a Siri shortcut automation on mine to precondition, defog and heat the steering wheel with a condition when humidity > 90% and temperature < 7°.
Works like a charm... Except today, I left 15 mins earlier for a meeting so it didn't :D

And the car didn't auto defog either... had to do it manually

There's no pleasing you is there? Did you notice there were no buttons before buying the car?
Glad everything works perfectly for you all of the time.

And btw, the defrost/demist buttons were there when we bought the car. Tesla subsequently removed them and buried them within the UI.

Not surprising that we are getting rid of the car and buying something different, you know, something that does what it was advertised that it would do when we bought it / test drove it, something else that we foolishly were not able to do with the Tesla.

We learned our mistake, and won't be making it a second time so are going elsewhere. First car that I have ever owned that I have ever wanted to get rid of before 14 years, except for my landrover but that was a bit of a frankencar (not of my doing) and would have cost a fortune to drive a mile down the road due to emissions.

Last edited:
The last couple of mornings it has been cold enough for me to open the app to warm up the car before leaving the house (I know, first world problems). Each time I have done this the app sets the car to "LO" and refuses to let me change it (yes, I've tried the arrow!). The 'red' indicates something is warming, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've had the car more than 2 years, and this has never been an issue for me before...

I wanted the car hotter, not colder!
1666088283186.png

Has anyone else seen this?

Glad everything works perfectly for you all of the time.

And btw, the defrost/demist buttons were there when we bought the car. Tesla subsequently removed them and buried them within the UI.

Not surprising that we are getting rid of the car and buying something different, you know, something that does what it was advertised that it would do when we bought it.
Carefully avoiding mentioning that you can still have them there if you want, like I have, and like lots of other people have, not at all 'buried'.

Reactions: pow216
The last couple of mornings it has been cold enough for me to open the app to warm up the car before leaving the house (I know, first world problems). Each time I have done this the app sets the car to "LO" and refuses to let me change it (yes, I've tried the arrow!). The 'red' indicates something is warming, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've had the car more than 2 years, and this has never been an issue for me before...

I wanted the car hotter, not colder!
View attachment 864940

Has anyone else seen this?
Press Defrost Car, it should go to HI, turn off Defrost and for me it then shows 20.

Carefully avoiding mentioning that you can still have them there if you want, like I have, and like lots of other people have, not at all 'buried'.
How many other need to have buttons can you put there at the sdame time. Oh, im going out for a drive, now what weather conditions might I meet today so I can customise my UI to work in a safe manner... Fog lights x 2, manual driving lights (cos auto don't work in the fog), front window demist, rear window demist - I think i've bust the limit already...

Reactions: Pauld999 and PerBB