Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Defogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mines been saying it for months. I’m fed up of it because when it’s on the aircon isn’t cooling or heating the cabin until it’s finished, which could be a very long time. It even does it on hot sunny days when the windows aren’t misted up.

How many other need to have buttons can you put there at the sdame time. Oh, im going out for a drive, now what weather conditions might I meet today so I can customise my UI to work in a safe manner... Fog lights x 2, manual driving lights (cos auto don't work in the fog), front window demist, rear window demist - I think i've bust the limit already...
You can't select lights for that list anyway, and your previous point was that 'there when we bought the car" so it's entirely reasonable to observe you have just as much space so put them back and have the exact same. There are only a dozen or so options, and you are perhaps unlikely to need quick access to toybox, theatre etc.

Best wishes for your sale, I hope it's swift.

Basically my Discovery had a heated windscreen, heating filaments embedded inside the glass, much like on a rear window, except much thinner and invisible to the naked eye. Good to know the TMY does this differently by heating the wipers then.
You can heat glass without filaments. Airplanes have a conductive coating on the windscreen (and windows?) that is used for defrost.

The last couple of mornings it has been cold enough for me to open the app to warm up the car before leaving the house (I know, first world problems). Each time I have done this the app sets the car to "LO" and refuses to let me change it (yes, I've tried the arrow!). The 'red' indicates something is warming, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've had the car more than 2 years, and this has never been an issue for me before...

I wanted the car hotter, not colder!

Has anyone else seen this?
I think it’s a glitch in the app or car at the moment. I’ve found I need to wait a few seconds longer before I can change the heat to what I want. Make sure the car is defo awake and try again - or wait 10-15 secs more. That’s how I’ve gotten around the couple of times I’ve needed (wanted) this so far this autumn.

The last couple of mornings it has been cold enough for me to open the app to warm up the car before leaving the house (I know, first world problems). Each time I have done this the app sets the car to "LO" and refuses to let me change it (yes, I've tried the arrow!). The 'red' indicates something is warming, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've had the car more than 2 years, and this has never been an issue for me before...

I wanted the car hotter, not colder!
View attachment 864940

Has anyone else seen this?
My app looks like that if I go to the Climate setting before my phone is actually connected to my Tesla. If I wait a few seconds until the app shows my vehicle parked, and the interior temp is correct, I can turn things on. Also I have been able to just say "turn on defogger" or "turn on defroster" to get the desired setting.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.PNG
    IMG_0583.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0584.PNG
    IMG_0584.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
My app looks like that if I go to the Climate setting before my phone is actually connected to my Tesla. If I wait a few seconds until the app shows my vehicle parked, and the interior temp is correct, I can turn things on. Also I have been able to just say "turn on defogger" or "turn on defroster" to get the desired setting.
Yours is definitely broken - steering wheel is on the wrong side and everything 😂😂😉

Carefully avoiding mentioning that you can still have them there if you want, like I have, and like lots of other people have, not at all 'buried'.

To clarify can you add back some of the climate buttons like defrost/defog and heated/cooled seats to the bottom of the screen? ie is it customizable? I still do not like the new lay out so this would be great!

Also is there any way NOT to have temperature on max when defrosting? seems temperature jumps to max, and fan automatically increases with deffrost button. this is so very annoying, as you get so hot.

asides for no sirius radio aftermarket option, this is my biggest gripe about our X. so any help appreciated.

To clarify can you add back some of the climate buttons like defrost/defog and heated/cooled seats to the bottom of the screen? ie is it customizable? I still do not like the new lay out so this would be great!
Yes. here's a quick video that shows you how:
You do a long press on any of the icons in the bar to get into customize mode. Press the "x" to remove icons and drag icons down from the window above the bar to add them. That window pops open in customize mode. You can also get to it by pressing the "..." icon. Then you have access to all the icons that aren't currently on the bar.
Also is there any way NOT to have temperature on max when defrosting? seems temperature jumps to max, and fan automatically increases with defrost button. this is so very annoying, as you get so hot.
There are two modes. One uses cool air (defog) and the other uses warm air (defrost). In the climate screen the windshield/windscreen icon is red when in defrost mode that adds heat. The defog mode does what you're asking for.

Reactions: Ocelot
Additional question : what are members here using remotely when it's an acceptable temperature outside in the morning (like 14° today for instance), but nearly 100% humidity and all windows and mirrors are completely fogged up?

Seems there's only the Max Defrost option available on the app, but no defogging option? Do you have to wait to be in the car to enable the rear defogger to demist windows?

Basically my Discovery had a heated windscreen, heating filaments embedded inside the glass, much like on a rear window, except much thinner and invisible to the naked eye. Good to know the TMY does this differently by heating the wipers then.
I had something similar on a Ford. Astonishingly quick at clearing the screen. Start car, put A/C on max heat with recirc, put on heated screen - and even in the depths of a Northumberland winter ready to go in 30 seconds. And it stayed active for I think no more than 2 minutes so it didn't impact on efficiency? And as you say - invisible.

Ah, the days of buttons and tech that just - worked.....

My defog blasts warm air, automatically and constantly, the last few days. It did just turn cold and snowy here but it runs for at least 20 minutes with a completely clear windshield. Maybe Tesla has a marketing deal with Chapstick.

That's why we need UK voice system.. Before owing a tesla I'd never once heard of the term 'defogger'. It was normally the rear window heater or demister (both don't work on the tesla voice). I just have the button for the rear on the shortcuts (because there's no wipers you need it when it's raining, which is pretty often at the moment).