Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can I tell if mine has the auto dimming? My side mirror does seem very dark at night when I'm driving.

I noticed that both of my side mirrors have the outline. (See the pic attached)
View attachment 543765

EDIt: Picked up my car on 03/03/20 and it was built on 2/20

to me it looks like yours has the dimming feature (it looks like you have a sticker on top of your glass. That sticker usually turned a bit tinted once it gets to the evening). You defo notice it like 30min before sunset.

So approximately the last 7 months of the Model 3 production does not have auto dimming mirrors. I wonder if Tesla will offer a free retrofit for those of us that don't have the feature but would like to?
I’m not sure how feasible that would be, not that I would be opposed to it. When I swapped the non-dimming mirrors for Suma, I only noticed the wires for the defroster and nothing else. I’m guessing those are separate?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
So approximately the last 7 months of the Model 3 production does not have auto dimming mirrors. I wonder if Tesla will offer a free retrofit for those of us that don't have the feature but would like to?

If you have tinted windows there's really no need for it. I don't care for mine and they still haven't added the auto adjust dimming feature Elon said yes too lol

I’m not sure how feasible that would be, not that I would be opposed to it. When I swapped the non-dimming mirrors for Suma, I only noticed the wires for the defroster and nothing else. I’m guessing those are separate?

What is your production date? Mine is early March 2020. I though l read somewhere that the wires for the auto dimming feature were still there after Tesla stopped installing the mirrors for some amount of time.

I thought the auto dimmers were back during the third quarter? Mine was built on the 27th of September. I see the outer lining of it in my car’s side mirrors. Haven’t really paid attention since I’ve hardly ever driven the car during the day.

i think the dimming mirrors are waste of money anyway. In the USA/Australia people have their frontsidewindow tinted anyway and in europe people have proper adjusted headlights and i.e. dont drive around with front foglights on and the road construction doesnt really make them necessary.
It's nice to have on the rear view mirror though.