Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Door Behavior Question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching and reading the manual so my apologies ahead of time if I missed something simple or if this is a stupid question but...

Are either the driver or passenger doors supposed to auto-close when you walk away from the X? I seem to remember that's how it's supposed to work but wanted to ask before I inadvertently leave doors open when I walk away from the car... LOL :)

I get the pressing the brake to close the drivers door but still working on the thought process of how it's all "supposed" to work... LOL

Thanks,
Jeff

Page 10 of the manual covers this and has some additional details. Works well for us.

Walk-away Locking
Doors and trunks automatically lock whenever you walk away carrying the key or if the key is otherwise not detected by your vehicle (not present, dead battery, etc.).

Above is finally correct. Need PUP to auto close. Electronic closing is not 100 percent reliable, so make sure it actually close. For example, strong winds and grades against closing door will prevent the door to close (both auto or manual).

It is very useful. When I go unplug the connector from the car with the key on me (so the port will unlock), the driver door will open. Since I don't always drive the car after I unplug, I used to have to go and close the driver door before walking away. Then one day I realized that it will just auto close and sure enough as I walk away, the door closes and car locked itself.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Have to clarify this feature for sure, use it all the time here.

1. You need to have PUP.

When walking away:

2. ONLY THE DRIVERS DOOR closes automatically when you walk away with the fob. The FWDs, trunk, and passenger door will not close. Often don't mind this when cleaning care for example here, etc.

3. Only issue I have with it at times to be aware of is if it is really windy blowing against door (towards keeping it open). Slopes don't seem to impact it too much or would have to be really steep. In the wind scenario a little too much force keeps it from closing. Get used to hearing it kinda slam close at least when walking away.

When in the car:

4. Pressing the brake when getting in, only closes the driver door also. Passengers still have to close their doors, or you can hit close all on the screen.

1 single click closes all doors on my PUP X and all doors will close on walkaway as well.
1st point. It depends on the settings. If you make it close by one click, I think it is not safe to because if somehow your key fob gets compressed in your pants, all doors including trunk door close. You could hit your passenger's head. I would recommend triple click to all close setting.

2nd point. I don't believe it works that way. Rationale: if you are getting a bit far and one of your passenger's was getting out of FWD or removing luggages from the trunk, the door might hit his head.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Have to clarify this feature for sure, use it all the time here.

1. You need to have PUP.

When walking away:

2. ONLY THE DRIVERS DOOR closes automatically when you walk away with the fob. The FWDs, trunk, and passenger door will not close. Often don't mind this when cleaning care for example here, etc.

3. Only issue I have with it at times to be aware of is if it is really windy blowing against door (towards keeping it open). Slopes don't seem to impact it too much or would have to be really steep. In the wind scenario a little too much force keeps it from closing. Get used to hearing it kinda slam close at least when walking away.

When in the car:

4. Pressing the brake when getting in, only closes the driver door also. Passengers still have to close their doors, or you can hit close all on the screen.

@jeffro01 please refer to the quoted post. Almost everyone else is incorrect or does not paint a 100% accurate picture. This quoted post describes my experience 100%. I too had a lot of questions about the doors and did a lot of experimentation to learn about how they work.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01