Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-fold mirrors issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Model 3 for about 2 months, with the latest software version.
To access my home, I have to go through a street so narrow that I have to fold the rear-side mirrors.
This street is about 150 m long.

I tried to use the auto-fold by location feature. It does auto-fold the mirrors while approaching this narrow street, but then auto-unfolds them after about 30 meters.
I also tried to fold them again immediately (and save the location), but the end result is still a dancing sequence of auto-folds and auto-unfolds after 30 meters, auto-re-folds after 10 meters and so on.

Does anyone know if I am doing anything wrong?
I would like the auto-fold feature to fold when approaching the street and unfold at the end of the street.

You're not doing anything wrong. When you set the fold at location they will fold within a few feet upon approach. They will unfold when a certain distance away from the set location.

Example: I used to use auto fold for my garage. Within 3-4 feet upon garage arrival thee mirrors folded in. When departing they would fold out when I get to the end of the driveway.

Yeah, as said above, the feature is really designed for parking in a narrow garage or something. But yours is an interesting use case. I could see new software that would allow that, though no idea whether Tesla will ever actually do it.

I the meantime, voice commands to fold and unfold seem easiest.

I have had my Model 3 for about 2 months, with the latest software version.
To access my home, I have to go through a street so narrow that I have to fold the rear-side mirrors.
This street is about 150 m long.

I tried to use the auto-fold by location feature. It does auto-fold the mirrors while approaching this narrow street, but then auto-unfolds them after about 30 meters.
I also tried to fold them again immediately (and save the location), but the end result is still a dancing sequence of auto-folds and auto-unfolds after 30 meters, auto-re-folds after 10 meters and so on.

Does anyone know if I am doing anything wrong?
I would like the auto-fold feature to fold when approaching the street and unfold at the end of the street.

I had the auto fold feature enable for my home address. It became a nuisance so I disabled the auto fold. After reading this thread, I went to check the feature again and found it was not available. Has is been removed by a recent update to the software?

More curious is the mirrors auto fold while turning at a specific intersection. I complete the turn and after I travel a bit farther, they auto unfold. This happens at the same spot every time. Most annoying.

Joe

I had the auto fold feature enable for my home address. It became a nuisance so I disabled the auto fold. After reading this thread, I went to check the feature again and found it was not available. Has is been removed by a recent update to the software?

More curious is the mirrors auto fold while turning at a specific intersection. I complete the turn and after I travel a bit farther, they auto unfold. This happens at the same spot every time. Most annoying.

Joe
The Auto Fold feature is part of the HomeLink settings. I just check mine and the option is still there. I'm on 2020.20.12 FW/