Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Folding Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up until my latest update, 2017.42.a88..., I used the auto folding mirror function. Turning off the car, folded the mirrors, and then putting the car into reverse or drive unfolded the mirrors. With 2017.42.a88... the mirrors now unfold (open) when the doors unlock. Not optimal for me because i'm walking past the car in my narrow garage or parking lots and the mirrors open obstructing path to car. I'm at the point of going to manual folding/unfolding. Just curious if any of the more recent updates switch the auto folding mirror function back to what it used to be. Thanks.

We've been on 2017.46 3387a54 for a little while now (believe there's a newer version out). As we approach and the handles present, the mirrors now fold out before getting into the car. I'd have to check what exactly our settings are but I know at one point in the past my husband decided he thought it was best not to have the mirrors extend everytime you got close with your fob so as to reduce the wear on the mirror motors and instead only open them when you actually were going to drive.

Our car is in the driveway but I can see the issue if it's parked in a narrow garage and you need to walk past the front of the car first to get to the driver's door.

Last edited:
I'm on 46.8 and still have the issue. The thing is that it sometimes work in that it doesn't unfold every time so it makes me think that it should not unfold but that there's a bug that makes it unfold after I had manually folded. I haven't been able to figure out what makes it auto unfold.

I have similar issue. When I summon my M3 into my garage, I usually park it with the driver side fairly close to the wall. I love the fact the mirror folds in automatically in anticipation of a narrow space. However, if I left something in the car by accident and need to retrieve it, the mirror unfolds automatically as I open the door. This does not happen often, but often enough to be an annoyance. It would be nice if the mirror remains unfolded if it was parked with the summon feature until it was put into 'D' manually by a driver...

I have had this issue, and for me the work-around has been that I am now in the habit (took a couple of weeks to make it a habit) to manually fold the mirrors when I park. Now they don't unfold until you are in the car and press the brake pedal (and very occasionally not until I manually unfold them). Haven't thought about it until I saw this post....