Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto high beams - am I doing something wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - has anyone encountered this?

My auto high beams work, except that they often wait so long to turn down that other cars are constantly flashing me. Is there a setting I don't know about that would tell them to turn down sooner? I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. I don't want to be known as the local "high beam jerk".

Ironically, every once in a while, my auto high beams will turn down waaaay ahead of when it's necessary.

Is this kind of like the auto wiper issue? The car's sensors maybe aren't calibrated quite right?

Reactions: WyomingEV
Is this kind of like the auto wiper issue?
Yes, we humans are at the mercy of machines!
The car's sensors maybe aren't calibrated quite right?
The sensor is the camera. Nothing is wrong with the camera. It's the software to translate those pixels into actionable results. It's the result of using Tesla Vision without proper testing first.

@Volleyballmom Feel free to push the stalk forward to cancel the auto high beam when you when them to turn off sooner.
Yes, I do that - all the time. I was just wondering if there was a way to make the "auto" high beams actually automatic, instead of manually having to control them 90% of the time. I guess it's just how the front cameras on the car pick up oncoming lights.

Yeah, it's too bad we don't have radar looking at those approaching lights... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
It's about the lack of camera software competency.

Other brands have had Automatic High Beam for years. Their advantage is their camera system, and their teams have only one task: Automatic High Beam!

The disadvantage of Tesla Automatic High Beams is that the camera is not only used for that single purpose. It is also used for Automatic Wiper, Automatic Brakings,...

The software team is multitasking and trying to perfect many things simultaneously, which results in poor quality for all the tasks and not just one task!

Yeah, it's too bad we don't have radar looking at those approaching lights... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Ironic that it wouldnt be a problem with radar enabled cars, because auto high beams are not required to "compensate" and make the car "almost" as safe with slower max speed and farther following distances.

It just turns out, by disabling radar they now have a few hundred thousand more customers discovering inadequate functionality. A small subset will be making their way onto these forums to complain

People flashing at you can also be that your headlights aren't adjust properly. They can be sitting a bit high or you may have too much air in your tires for instance.
I don't think it's the case for me, because I know my high beams simply aren't lowering soon enough. The majority of the time, my auto high beams turn down a good few seconds after I think they should (which is why I end up controlling them manually so often). I live in a hilly area, so maybe it's the angle of approach of the other car? I'd say I'm only happy with the "timing" of my auto high beams about 25% of the time.

Controlling high beams manually certainly isn't the biggest problem in my life, but it would be nice for some of the more "basic" auto features in my MY (read: high beams and wipers) to function better. I'd take smarter auto wipers and high beams over a boombox or farting noise any day of the week.

My husband, on the other hand, would argue that last point!

Interesting......I've noticed in the last week that my automatic high beams are less sensitive or slower reacting than they were in the past. After more than a year of occasionally driving in the very intense dark to or from my cottage, this trip the high beams either failed to turn on for way too long, or stayed on until oncoming vehicles flashed at me. I found myself needing to hold the stalk forward to force the high beams on for several minutes, and manually taking them out of "high" when I was flashed at. Previously, I actually marvelled at how quickly they responded to an oncoming car, so it was very notable that this trip they did not.

I wonder if something in the most recent update changed things, because even though I'm driving in the same conditions, they are responding differently.

Interesting......I've noticed in the last week that my automatic high beams are less sensitive or slower reacting than they were in the past. After more than a year of occasionally driving in the very intense dark to or from my cottage, this trip the high beams either failed to turn on for way too long, or stayed on until oncoming vehicles flashed at me. I found myself needing to hold the stalk forward to force the high beams on for several minutes, and manually taking them out of "high" when I was flashed at. Previously, I actually marvelled at how quickly they responded to an oncoming car, so it was very notable that this trip they did not.

I wonder if something in the most recent update changed things, because even though I'm driving in the same conditions, they are responding differently.
That could be it. Thinking back to last winter and spring, I loved my auto high beams. In the last few weeks, not so much.

I've only driven twice in the dark and I'm not going to be using auto high beam anymore. I'm fed up with being told ofF by other drivers and also flashing cars I'm following at a distance as the high beams come on and then go off a second later.

More worrying was I turned off high beams in the settings, and a few minutes later they came on of their own accord (without the (a) symbol showing, so they were definitely off). I could really do without this flakiness in a car that cost over sixty grand

Reactions: Volleyballmom
A month later, and I think my issue has been fixed - they seem properly responsive now. So far........I'll be driving in the deep dark again next weekend, and I'll see how they work up at the cottage.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
It would be useful if they turned on high beams driving slow on a country dirt road. There are little and big animals everywhere and you would not see them coming without high beams. I don't want our new Tesla taken out by a turkey or deer!
If you have your high beams set to auto and it's dark enough outside, they should come on. I drive on country roads all the time. Sometimes I initially have to turn my high beams on, but then the auto function kicks in.

Reactions: Calliope
If you have your high beams set to auto and it's dark enough outside, they should come on. I drive on country roads all the time. Sometimes I initially have to turn my high beams on, but then the auto function kicks in.
They don't turn on set to auto for some reason. Maybe because the road isn't paved and our car has trouble reading it because it has no lines painted on it? That's the only reason I can think of.

My 2019 M3P insists on having auto high beams on when using partial AP. Last night it kept the high beams on most of the time causing oncoming drivers to flash me. If I turn the auto high beams off, the PAP turns it right back on. Unless I was close to a car I was approaching, the high beams would stay on, which I'm sure is annoying to the other driver. It was on I-25 south of Albuquerque and there is a bit of a divide between the two sides of the freeway. Sometimes it turns off the high beams just for a few seconds and puts them right back on. Is my car working correctly? (just buggy software?)