Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I control my high beams in AP, or do i only have the option for auto?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found auto high beams to be entirely useless 90% of the time. My issue isn't them turning off, its them not wanting to turn on when I'm the only car on the road. When I am in AP, I can turn auto high beam off...but then can I manually control them like I did in my 15 year old ICE car? Or am I at the mercy of auto everything while in AP?

I came to this thread wondering the same thing. When I'm in AP, my high beams come on automatically. I disable them but it keeps re-enabling them. Today I experienced my wipers coming on (not raining) automatically when in AP when I have them OFF regularly. Is there a way to disable the wipers. It was a dry day and my wipers would run when I engaged AP. They would stop when I disengaged. I would try to stop the wipers during AP but it would not let me.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I came to this thread wondering the same thing. When I'm in AP, my high beams come on automatically. I disable them but it keeps re-enabling them. Today I experienced my wipers coming on (not raining) automatically when in AP when I have them OFF regularly. Is there a way to disable the wipers. It was a dry day and my wipers would run when I engaged AP. They would stop when I disengaged. I would try to stop the wipers during AP but it would not let me.
The wipers could be a symptom of a larger problem with your car. Some people here who have issues with their wipers end up having problems with AP and FSD Beta. Be careful while using them, and if you do experience very poor performance with them, open a service ticket.

Reactions: bradknit
But then again it could be the AI acting up like it has been doing for 3 years or more. Even when not on AP, my wipers sometimes turn on for no reason or go way too fast. Other times they work great... I believe many many people have reported similar behavior. There's probably no need for a service ticket.

The wipers could be a symptom of a larger problem with your car. Some people here who have issues with their wipers end up having problems with AP and FSD Beta. Be careful while using them, and if you do experience very poor performance with them, open a service ticket.
My wiper issue just started happening today while the highbeams has been an issue for some time. I'm using FSD more since I requested FSD Beta after Elon's tweet, but I am finding out my firmware is too new to get it. I'll just go back to driving w/o FSD or AP. FSD & AP has been a BIG disappointment since my purchase but that's another thread.

Reactions: Dewg
?? Yes. That is manual control.
I don't want auto high beams on. I don't want to have to hold in the stalk to keep high beams on and release it to turn them off.

I want autoPILOT on, but i want to flick the stalk out to turn my highs on and flick it in to turn them off. I want to control my high beams 100% by myself while in auto pilot.

Does that make sense? I want to control my high beams the way you would in a 2010 honda civic, but while I am in autopilot. I dont want the car deciding when to turn them on and off.

From my experience in the car, the only option in autopilot is to push stalk out to toggle auto high beams on/off, or pull stalk in to flash/hold high beams.

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
Yep... but think about when you use high beams... to see far away and be safe. Autopilot wants to do the same thing, see far away so you are safe. It allows itself to use auto highs in order to do that. I don't like it either but the reason is that it turns on/off at the wrong moments, or at least it did the last time I used it. If it turns on the same moments I would, I don't see why that would be a problem. And it seems recent software updates have brought fixes for that, which I'm eager to test.

I've found auto high beams to be entirely useless 90% of the time. My issue isn't them turning off, its them not wanting to turn on when I'm the only car on the road. When I am in AP, I can turn auto high beam off...but then can I manually control them like I did in my 15 year old ICE car? Or am I at the mercy of auto everything while in AP?
Yes but your old car don't need to see for you the autopilot need light to prevent distant crash's, pedestrians, bicycle's in the dark ect...

Reactions: GtiMart
How? Once auto high beams are off in AP, pushing the left stalk out just turns auto beams back on, and pulling it in just flashes them (or stay on as long as I hold the stalk in).
From the manual:

Auto High Beam is automatically enabled when Autosteer is engaged. To switch to low beam headlights, push the turn signal stalk forward and release. Auto High Beam is re-enabled every time Autosteer is activated.

I believe once you disable Auto High Beam, pushing the stalk forward will turn on manual high beams, not Auto High Beams, but I haven’t tested this.

Update:

With more testing, I have found that you canNOT manually control high beams while in autopilot. Auto high beams is your only choice. Really annoying to me, as they will not turn on if there are reflectors on the road in between lanes. They never turn on when I would want them on, but they are good about turning off (if/when they actually come on to begin with).

Reactions: Phlier
I'm not sure I understand. You're asking the car to drive for you, and when it's in control it handles the lights and wipers for its benefit. The low-beams and high-beams, and wipers are all for it to see clearly and what it thinks is necessary for its drive. Why do you care as long as the car can see and do its job? When you're in control and driving, you can set the wipers and lights to whatever works for you and your requirements to drive safely. Let the car do what it's going to do when it's in control. Does it bug you when you get into an Uber and the driver sets the wipers higher than you'd like, or uses the high-beams or low-beams differently than you would?

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
I'm not sure I understand. You're asking the car to drive for you, and when it's in control it handles the lights and wipers for its benefit. The low-beams and high-beams, and wipers are all for it to see clearly and what it thinks is necessary for its drive. Why do you care as long as the car can see and do its job? When you're in control and driving, you can set the wipers and lights to whatever works for you and your requirements to drive safely. Let the car do what it's going to do when it's in control. Does it bug you when you get into an Uber and the driver sets the wipers higher than you'd like, or uses the high-beams or low-beams differently than you would?
they are both broken that's the problem

Because *I* am still the responsible party and I want to be able to see better on rural roads. If AP won’t turn the high beams on because of reflectors or signs (mistaking them for oncoming traffic), it makes it hard to me to see far enough ahead to take evasive action if a deer or something wanders out into the road.

You can’t just say “the car doesn’t think they should be on, therefore there is no reason for them to be on.” The car does all kinds of inappropriate things, although to Tesla’s credit, the auto high beams got much better in a recent software update.

Reactions: StealthP3D
This may be the stupidest response to a thread I have ever seen on this forum.
Because *I* am still the responsible party and I want to be able to see better on rural roads. If AP won’t turn the high beams on because of reflectors or signs (mistaking them for oncoming traffic), it makes it hard to me to see far enough ahead to take evasive action if a deer or something wanders out into the road.

You can’t just say “the car doesn’t think they should be on, therefore there is no reason for them to be on.” The car does all kinds of inappropriate things, although to Tesla’s credit, the auto high beams got much better in a recent software update.
Exactly this. I am in Autopilot, NO ONE IS ON THE ROAD, yet autopilot WONT turn the high beams on so that me OR the car can see better because it is registering some inanimate object (like a reflector on the ground, or a sign) as an oncoming vehicle. In this situation, I want to be able to manually TURN ON the high beams with the press of a button, versus currently the only override to auto high beams NOT turning on is to hold the left stalk inward (and as soon as you let go, they turn off again).

I did not think this would be such a difficult concept for some people to understand. I want the autopilot features to turn on and off as a human would turn them on and off. I don't turn my high beams off when I am approaching a reflective road sign, so I don't want the car to, either.