TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto High Beams no longer works well

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kirkbauer, May 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

This sort of thing happens to me too. I wonder if the sensor has becomè too sensitive since a recent firmware update. I have put a piece of semi-transparent adhesive tape over my sensor to see if that helps; you might try the same.

2. whitex

whitex Active Member

So *not* cleaning it should make it better then (dirt doing the same job as your tape)? ;)

3. Fezzik

Fezzik P100D, M3LR

I'll try the headlights out tonight with the new update.

4. mrjwen

mrjwen VA: PLUGS IN

I'm glad I found this thread as I was about to schedule a SC appointment for the same issue. I agree that after the Mario Cart update the auto high beam has become useless. I end up manually holding the stalk as I go down my neighborhood street. It worked so well before. I assumed it was an issue with the sensor but cleaning it hasn't made a difference.

5. brec

brec Member

After installing 2.20.30: On my 2.5-mile "test road" last night they worked fine, just as they had prior to 2.16.17 (if I'm correctly remembering which update started the problem).

• Like x 2
  6. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Well, you might think so, yes, but the orifice is so small that the slightest bit of grit affects it, I am told. So I suggest that you clean it first and then try some tape over it. It did seem to help on our car last night - but then there have be several false dawns. Perhaps the real answer is 2.30.30, as brec says.

7. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

That's encouraging; please will you post again after a few more days - there have been false dawns before!

8. brec

brec Member

I may not be out after dark within a few days -- it's less than a month to summer solstice, and I'm an early retirer / early riser. But if I am, I'll post!

9. SMS16

SMS16 Member

have had the same problem. Just installed 2.20.30. will report back in a couple of weeks.

10. caps04

caps04 Member

How about if you turn off Auto high beam?

11. brec

brec Member

Success a second time on the same stretch of road.

12. Joe

Joe Member

Auto high beam back to normal after 2.20.30. About three evenings/nights of driving after the install and the behavior seems to back to what it was before the 2.16.17 update.

13. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Is it me or does Auto high beam only work if the stalk is pushed back only?

If pushed back then the auto high beam icon appears greyed out.

Seems counter intuitive. Auto high beam should work any time without the stalk pushed back.

14. thimel

thimel Member

Read the manual. It is actually automatic dimming of the high beam.

15. Tree95

Tree95 Member

There are times I don't want the beams on high. The most common case of this is approaching a rural intersection with a car stopped at the cross street. The car doesn't see headlights or taillights, so if the lever is pushed away from the driver, the car's high beams will be on. In order to not blind the other car, I pull the lever towards me to disable the high beams.

I can think of similar cases I don't want high beams on - pulling into someone's driveway; maybe I don't want to light up their entire house or blind someone coming out of the front door to meet me or get in the car.

16. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

Also seems like the adaptive headlights don't turn on.

Is there a specific setting aside from activating adaptive headlights?

I don't see the LEDs turning on as I turn the wheel.

17. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Yes, I have found the same - auto-dipping is back to what it should be after the latest update (which in our case is 2.20.45). Thanks to everyone who complained/reported.

18. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

If you don't want the lights to go high, put the stalk in the middle position - see the Owner's Manual p51: "
    High Beam Headlights
    Push the left-hand steering column lever away
    from you. To cancel, pull the lever toward you."

Which, I agree, is not the clearest way of describing it.

19. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Your car does not have adaptive headlights, surely; they are a feature of the refreshed MS. It does have cornering lights but they are not bright or big enough to be seen from within the car when the headlights are on; if you get someone else to drive the car and turn the wheels while you watch from outside, you will see them come on.

20. DoubleE

DoubleE Member

image.jpeg
    I HAVE the refreshed model S.