Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto High Beams no longer works well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's annoying that the auto high beams are not working. I am in a very dark wooded area and if high beams turn on it shines the trees and then turns off right away so it does a flicker high and non high constantly
This sort of thing happens to me too. I wonder if the sensor has becomè too sensitive since a recent firmware update. I have put a piece of semi-transparent adhesive tape over my sensor to see if that helps; you might try the same.

I'm glad I found this thread as I was about to schedule a SC appointment for the same issue. I agree that after the Mario Cart update the auto high beam has become useless. I end up manually holding the stalk as I go down my neighborhood street. It worked so well before. I assumed it was an issue with the sensor but cleaning it hasn't made a difference.

So *not* cleaning it should make it better then (dirt doing the same job as your tape)? ;)
Well, you might think so, yes, but the orifice is so small that the slightest bit of grit affects it, I am told. So I suggest that you clean it first and then try some tape over it. It did seem to help on our car last night - but then there have be several false dawns. Perhaps the real answer is 2.30.30, as brec says.

Auto high beam should work any time without the stalk pushed back.

There are times I don't want the beams on high. The most common case of this is approaching a rural intersection with a car stopped at the cross street. The car doesn't see headlights or taillights, so if the lever is pushed away from the driver, the car's high beams will be on. In order to not blind the other car, I pull the lever towards me to disable the high beams.

I can think of similar cases I don't want high beams on - pulling into someone's driveway; maybe I don't want to light up their entire house or blind someone coming out of the front door to meet me or get in the car.

There are times I don't want the beams on high. The most common case of this is approaching a rural intersection with a car stopped at the cross street. The car doesn't see headlights or taillights, so if the lever is pushed away from the driver, the car's high beams will be on. In order to not blind the other car, I pull the lever towards me to disable the high beams.

I can think of similar cases I don't want high beams on - pulling into someone's driveway; maybe I don't want to light up their entire house or blind someone coming out of the front door to meet me or get in the car.
If you don't want the lights to go high, put the stalk in the middle position - see the Owner's Manual p51: "
High Beam Headlights
Push the left-hand steering column lever away
from you. To cancel, pull the lever toward you."

Which, I agree, is not the clearest way of describing it.

Also seems like the adaptive headlights don't turn on.

Is there a specific setting aside from activating adaptive headlights?

I don't see the LEDs turning on as I turn the wheel.
Your car does not have adaptive headlights, surely; they are a feature of the refreshed MS. It does have cornering lights but they are not bright or big enough to be seen from within the car when the headlights are on; if you get someone else to drive the car and turn the wheels while you watch from outside, you will see them come on.

image.jpeg
Your car does not have adaptive headlights, surely; they are a feature of the refreshed MS. It does have cornering lights but they are not bright or big enough to be seen from within the car when the headlights are on; if you get someone else to drive the car and turn the wheels while you watch from outside, you will see them come on.
I HAVE the refreshed model S.