Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, the service centers don't know much about FSDb. They will once it rolls out widely to all FSD cars.

So you still seem to have a few outstanding questions...

Navigate on Autopilot is for non-FSDb driving on the highway. It's the feature that makes the car change lanes when your lane is going too slow, and it's also the feature that makes lane changes for interchanges and off ramps. If you disable it, you will be sad the next time you're on the highway and wish the car to exit for you.

The FSDb "chill/normal/mad max" settings, in my opinion, are mostly meaningless. I set mine to chill. The FSDb brain will still attempt to go around traffic, even in non-optimal times. This is because programming artificial intelligence is extremely hard. One day it might make optimal decisions some of the time, but that time is not today.

If you wish to use FSDb, you should always have a destination in your navigation. Otherwise the car will make even poorer decisions, like the ones you describe (getting left when it needs to stay right). Luckily Tesla makes this very easy for you. You can tell the car to always default to navigate to home or work in the evening or morning and you will rarely need to think about it. There's another huge reason why you should always use navigation: Google Maps data will tell you when you should take alternate routes due to traffic. I heavily rely on this feature in the DC/Baltimore region and always have navigation enabled even when I know exactly where I should be driving, on the off chance that there's a major wreck on that route.

Reactions: enemji
Just create a duplicate profile with FSDb turned off and your desired ADAS features on.

Yes, you're still on the beta software but FSDb isn't required to be on.

This allows for a seamless on the fly transition when you don't desire that behavior. I use my non-fsd profile all the time in the express lanes (they're bi-directional and FSDb loses its $h!t)
Excellent advice!

This is a real problem for those in FSD beta: essentially the inability to turn off the equivalent of NoA behavior on non-highways, that really are highways.

I was returning home on a long stretch of US highway that was almost a divided highway, but not quite. It had at grade intersections every couple of miles. Very appropriate road for autosteer/TACC (plain old Autopilot) operation. But being in FSD beta, this road is on the FSD stack, and it does stupid things like "change out of the right lane" that can't be disabled. Not only is it bad etiquette, but it continually does so just as there is a fast approaching car in the left lane coming up 100 yards or so back. So the choices are to put up with FSD beta's stupid behavior, or not use autopilot in this situation at all, meaning (gasp) having to manually steer for miles on end.

The above suggestion is a great workaround and I'll definitely be trying it. I already have a "Road Trip" profile that sets my seat to a more comfortable position for longer trips, so I may just disable FSD in that one.

Thanks!

Reactions: Individoo
In general the Service Center's don't cover the Beta or most of the software. Service Centers are about repairing the hardware or making sure the hardware and software are working together correctly. If a software issue is suspected all the tech can do is request a newer download/patch, install service software or reinstall. If you allow them to do any of these things you may be removed from the Beta software and put back on regular software branch.

Also in the "Can't wait to see how they feel about that." they will feel like you are wasting their valuable time.

The info is right there in your Release notes on the FIRST page.

View attachment 866982View attachment 866983

Sadly this covers hardware errors that must addressed by the SC. I have had constant FSD Beta & GPS errors for months. I sent pictures of the car placement and navigation screen and a line of where I actually am. The errors make FSD Beta unusable at times and I have to FullbymySDriving. The FSD Beta email address never responded, and still not to date, after 30+ emails with pictures. I tried to go through my SC and was told, We can't help with anything while you are enrolled in the FSD Beta program.

I was able to finally get my long term Service Center manager, whom I have known since 2015 and my first Model S, to help. It is actually a hardware issue and has taken months to address.

One of the biggest issues is auto lane change because the car is misplaced on the navigation plan.

Todays pictures
IMG_6233.jpeg
IMG_6234.jpeg
a an example:

Reactions: cfl246tho
But being in FSD beta, this road is on the FSD stack, and it does stupid things like "change out of the right lane" that can't be disabled. Not only is it bad etiquette, but it continually does so just as there is a fast approaching car in the left lane coming up 100 yards or so back. So the choices are to put up with FSD beta's stupid behavior, or not use autopilot in this situation at all, meaning (gasp) having to manually steer for miles on end.
I hope you report this to the FSD beta team.

Apparently it's intended behavior. It sort of makes sense in some circumstances. On a divided highway with at grade intersections, you will frequently have cars entering and exiting the highway at those intersections that take a long time to get up to speed or slow down. So fine, FSD wants to avoid those situations by just sitting in the left lane. It will do this on city streets as well, where it makes a lot more sense (and isn't as "rude"). The message that appears on the screen prior to the lane change is literally "Changing lanes out of right lane" (as opposed to "Following route" or "moving into passing lane").

However, if there are miles between these intersections, it would be nice to signal the car to get into the right lane and have it realize that that's my preference.

I realize that technically the car is "in control" and I should just let it drive the way it wants. And yes, if it detects a car coming up from behind in the left lane it will change into the right lane, although it's quite slow about doing that and 9 times out of 10 the upcoming car will just pass on the right. But what I would really like is a way to disable FSD, but keep AP functionality. Kind of like when you disable NoA on the highway.

As for reporting to the FSD beta team, I'm at a loss of how to do that, short of clicking the camera icon, but what good would that do? Other people seemed to have gotten an e-mail when they joined the beta program that maybe had contact information for the team (?) but I didn't get any such e-mail. I just received the software one day!

You can send an e-mail to fsdbeta @ tesla.com with details of the issue you're experiencing. Make sure you send from the e-mail address associated with your Tesla account.

Include any map data, images, etc. you feel will help identify your issue. The more, the better for them.

Be aware that you will likely not receive a reply to your e-mail. The team probably gets thousands of e-mails, if not more, per day.

When I'm using auto pilot or steer (basically just cruise control, no destination set), it auto changes lanes when I get behind a slow car.

It bugs me when I'm coming up to a right turn at the next intersection, and suddenly my car changes to the left lane.

So I went to controls/auto pilot/navigate on auto pilot/custom.

There it says disable, mild, medium, mad max.

I put it on disable, but it's still doing it.

And I know I can put the different types of warnings before it happens, but I want to just turn it off, cause most of my driving is in the city.

Any advice? Thanks in advance
This is akin to getting into a taxi and telling the driver “Drive”. Of course the driver will drive however it wants to drive. S/he is not reading your mind. Mind reading option will be available in 2040.

There's another huge reason why you should always use navigation: Google Maps data will tell you when you should take alternate routes due to traffic.
I don't think the Tesla navigation should be called Google Maps, even if it is mostly the same, even if it's Google software. My Tesla navigation, while very similar to Google Maps on my phone, does work a bit differently.

Why point this out? Tesla navigation has at least once provided me with inaccurate info, causing an excessive detour delay, which could have been prevented with good info.

Very late last Friday night as I approached Jacksonville on I-10, my Tesla navigation did not properly show a night time construction detour. I ended up traveling a worse, longer path than I should have. I even got lost momentarily before realizing what had happened, and in confusion exited onto some strange sidestreets.

I wasn't using Google Maps on my phone at the same time, as I sometimes do. While waiting in stopped traffic, I turned on Google Maps and compared. It had the correct & current detour info & traffic conditions, which the Tesla navigation still was incorrectly showing. Had I been monitoring/comparing both tools all along, I could have avoided the distress of that incorrect routing, and saved nearly an hour that night.

My lesson? Both apps are excellent, but when it matters, I'll try to use both apps at the same time, to improve my chances for staying on the better route. Both apps depend on timely & accurate traffic info.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Ball and enemji
I don't know who to report my similar problem to.

I do NOT have FSDb, but I do use EAP features. When autosteering both with and without using autonavigate, especially on highway onramp merging, I often have to intervene to prevent getting too close to vehicles (like semi trucks) I'm merging with, to prevent collision. I think there are still imperfections in the regular EAP, like FSDb problems, but far less common. And I don't know how to report my experiences. Multiple times my interventions prevented collisions. It seems the car sometimes "correctly" stays centered in its lane even when an adjacent vehicle veers too close to me, infringing my lane and approaching my car. i have also had abrupt unexpecting aggressive braking in moving traffic, nearly causing a pickup to collide with back of my car (he locked up brakes).

I don't think the Tesla navigation should be called Google Maps, even if it is mostly the same, even if it's Google software. My Tesla navigation, while very similar to Google Maps on my phone, does work a bit differently.
Tesla doesn't use Google's navigation software so it's not Goole Maps. It is likely Tesla only uses Google Map's images displayed on the UI but NOT Google software in any way for actual navigation. All navigation data is stored in the Navigation Data file (NA-2022.28-xxxxx) from aggregated sources. It is not known who they licenses the Negation engine software from or if it is Tesla proprietary code (probably unlikely).