Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-open door not fully opening when approaching from front!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a 2018 MX and really appreciate the auto-open door feature.

I remember when I first got the car the driver's door would open all the way regardless if one would approach the car from the back or the front. Sometimes this was worrisome if the car was parked on the street and there was traffic.

At some point, the behavior of the door changed to only opening a few inches when approaching the door from the front and then opening the rest of the way when one would pass the door (to enter the car). When approaching from the rear, the door would fully open immediately.

I found this feature to be ideal. If the car was parked on a busy street, as a safety measure, it wouldn't open fully open the door when approaching from the front (until one had walked by the door). But if approaching from the rear it would open and allow you to grab the door if there was traffic.

These days, the door will only fully open when approaching from the rear. When approaching from the front the door will only open a few inches and not continue to fully open once one is behind the door. I have tested this many times.

I find this to be annoying. What is the use of an auto-open door that one has to grab and pull the rest of the way open?

Is there something wrong with my MX or is this the way it should be? Thanks for any replies.

Operation of my 2017 MX is approach from front, it opens a bit, walk past and it opens a bit more. However it never fully opens as it does when approaching from rear.

I wish this setting was customizable based upon location. Our garage is tight, and we always approach from front. we always have to close the door to get past it, to then reopen it again.

Reactions: Cuttin
I’ve noticed mine lately behaving more like you mention haven’t been able to consistently replicate. For example, I back in to my garage (with obstacles within a few feet of the door) and as I walk up from the front, it behaves as you indicate yours used to (cracked when approaching, more once past and turn around but always stopping short of the obstacles). I’ve also been in a completely open parking lot, no cars remotely close and approach with hands full of bags, perfect application for auto doors, and the door would crack and I’d wait, and nothing, I’d have to open the rest manually. I feel like it has to somehow be sensor and logic related, but can’t make any direct correlation to the rhyme or reason just yet!

Hi @markinsf ,

I too have a 2018 and had some of the door hardware replaced in December.
Also due to erratic opening.
Check out this thread for the details:

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: Billstickers
Like others have mentioned mine works like a charm, approach from the front it opens a little bit as I pass it it opens up all the way. Most of the time sometimes it doesn’t finish opening up all the way. So then I have to open it up with my foot a little more. When approaching for the back or the side it opens up all the way.

This is obviously pretty logical as if you’re approaching from the front you will have to walk in additional several feet away from the car in order to walk around a fully open door.

obviously made this for lazy people like me and obviously some of you, so that would be counterproductive, Walking the several feet more laterally.

Reactions: X-pilot
Operation of my 2017 MX is approach from front, it opens a bit, walk past and it opens a bit more. However it never fully opens as it does when approaching from rear.
yes, and one of my cars, a 2017 MX has always operated that way and never in over 40 firmware updates has it ever done differently as OP mentions.
So, mine also opens partially if coming from the front then opens fully as I walk past toward the rear door. Of course it initially opens fully if approaching from the side or rear. Just the way I like it.

Oh and just to say for OP, are you sure that there is plenty of room for the door to open after you walk past it, and not something nearby like that bush near the driver door shown in your avatar pic?
Definitely. Happens if I'm on a wide street with no one or any other car around. In my drive way. In the Tesla Service Center parking lot with nothing else around.

It saddens me that Telsa service just lies when they don't feel like fixing a problem. "Oh... uh... yeah. A firmware update changed the behavior of the auto open door for safety reasons. It's supposed to do that." :rolleyes:

Definitely. Happens if I'm on a wide street with no one or any other car around. In my drive way. In the Tesla Service Center parking lot with nothing else around.

It saddens me that Telsa service just lies when they don't feel like fixing a problem. "Oh... uh... yeah. A firmware update changed the behavior of the auto open door for safety reasons. It's supposed to do that." :rolleyes:
hmmm, if they told you that, then they made it up. As far as I can see, no firmware update has changed the way the doors auto-present on the X.