Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-parallel park and curb extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
No complaints...this is a case where autopark worked in a situation where I would not have expected it to.

Dropping my son off this morning in my S 85D, I was getting ready to (manually) parallel park in a space with a car in front of it and a curb extension (a.k.a. "bulbout") behind it. I pulled up adjacent to the car in front, and noticed the "P" icon on the IC. I was under the impression that there had to be another car behind the parking space for autopark to work. After a bit of consideration, I decided "what the heck, let's see what happens" and told the car to start an autopark. (With my eyes glued on the rear camera and foot hovering over the brake pedal.) I was pleasantly surprised to see the car back into the space, stop short of the bulbout, and then pull forward to line up with the car in front. Basically, it did exactly the right thing, but without a car to the rear (just the bulbout curb).

I didn't think the parking sensors would be able to see the curb. There's a lightpole in the bulbout area but it's not especially close to the curb, not sure if that was significant. Anyway just an interesting (to me) observation that autopark could DTRT sensing a curb instead of car.

Bruce.