Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot 1 cababilities vs AP 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I currently own a Model 3 and love the car. I use AP for about 80% of my driving. My wife loves the car and wants to drive it daily and she needs a new car so I decided I am going to get another Tesla. This time I would like an S for more cargo space, but may just get another Model 3. I have been looking as used Model S cars and found one that I like. It is a facelift car that was build in 9/16. My only hesitation is the AP1. Does anyone here have a lot of experience with using both AP1 and AP2. Can you let me know you opinion regarding reliability. I completely understand that AP1 has less features like NAV on AP and will not be able to be upgraded to FSD but I am good with that. My main question is how it performs compared to AP2, especially in crowded Southern California freeways. Thanks in advance for your help.

I do not know about Caliornia freeways, but AP1 has always been a rock steady, reliable feature, I think it is easy to get to know it's limits to a level where I allow it to follow traffic on narrow bridge or roads in snowy conditions, and much more that is way beyond its expected/documented capabilities.
I've been using AP1 every day, AP2 a few days a month. On same , rather challenging (to autosteer) roads.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
My X has AP2.0 and I just bought a used S with AP1.....I find that the AP2 handles tight turns and S curves a little better than 1, but not a deal breaker. AP 1 is alot smoother in the lanes and doesnt ping pong which is improving on 2. To me AP 1 is just as good as 2...for now. Both r far from perfect yet. My S is performance with Ludicrous so I rarely use it other than highways because it's so fun to drive.

Reactions: dark cloud
I own AP1 and now also AP2. Running the latest software on both cars, I find AP1 is still superior (which is kinda sad). Primary reasons are no phantom breaking on AP1 (which is downright scary when it happens), smoother on the highways, speed sign detection, and reliable rain-sensing wipers.

Perhaps this is the year AP2 will finally exceed AP1. TBD.