Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Observations/Suggestions post Cincy/Atlanta R/T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed weekend R/T from Cincinnati to Atlanta. Owning my 90D for about 7 weeks. Love the car! Used AP approximately 75% of the time. Definitely allows for more relaxed/safer driving EXCEPT for a few suggested improvements. This was even more evident as another MS85 "cat and moused" with me for hundreds of miles. Obviously didn't have AP, as that car was all over the road and speed fluctuated. Still cool to have other motorists point and smile at 2 Tesla's cruising along relatively together. (This isn't like California where Tesla's are very common.)

-Side Radar: Tesla really needs to use/listen to it's side radar - as other cars float close to the limit of their lane into mine, AP needed to be disengaged multiple times both trips to avoid sharing paint. Very unnerving! This is especially true when riding alongside semi's and vehicles with wide trailers. Maybe AP could inch over without compromising the other side lane integrity?

-Lane Changing Occasionally Overshoots While in AP: when using signal to change lanes while in AP, the car occasionally overshot to the far edge of the "new" lane. A bit concerning if their are vehicles in the next-next lane.

-POT HOLES Awareness: While AP is mostly great at staying centered in the lane, it needs to SEE POT HOLES! This is where the human driver can compensate and the technology hasn't caught up. Possibly as a cyclist, I'm more aware of pot holes, but the car took a few more lumps than necessary.

Loved the Chattanooga Airport Supercharger. Close to 400 miles/hr charging! I did try to "fool" the car on the return trip and bypassed the Knoxville Supercharger per it's adamant suggestions. The computer worked really hard to convince me to turnaround, for about 50+ miles. I knew I could reach the London, KY supercharger without visiting Knoxville. Prolly spent more total charging time than necessary.

All in all, Fantastic car! Whether I want to be a Tesla ambassador (I do), there really is no choice as wherever I stop, so many folks want to talk about the car. Still amazing to me so many people don't know much about Tesla. I'll oblige.

• Informative
Reactions: Caboom
I've never had to disengage Autosteer to avoid a car too close in an adjacent lane.

Edit to add this hypothesis: *If* your car is not behaving differently from mine, then perhaps you aren't yet used to Autosteer's driving in the middle of the lane, rather than towards the side away from the adjacent lane.

(The side sensors are ultrasonic. There's a radar antenna at the front of the car to sense traffic ahead.)

Last edited:
drove back from Fremont to LA used AP 85% of the time and it was all night time driving. It took some getting used to but overall experience was hands down very impressive. The occasional construction zone areas i took control of car but other than that it was a very relaxing ride. There was literally a tractor trailer with no rear lights (some farm truck) that i didn't even see and the car just started slowing down...if i was in regular cruise control i think it could have been a scary situation going 85 in the middle of the night, However the AP handled that exactly the way i would want it and I'm here able to type about it! :)
It is a bit intimidating driving next to big semi rigs...because it feels like it's very close to them but i always had my hand and foot ready to take over passing the rigs. I'm very happy with the overall experience...can't wait to see what improvements they come up with.