Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot 'off' sound - sounds tinny every now and then...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
since new, sometimes turning off auto pilot makes a tinny noise instead of the normal noise. I thought I had a video of it, but can't find it now. Is there a separate speaker for this, or does it just use the regular audio speakers? It sounds like it's vibrating in the speaker inside the dash.

thanks

I've read that it normally goes through the multimedia speakers while there is a separate speaker for redundancy. If true, it could be that it's switching to the redundant speaker for some reason. On a potentially related note, I use Joe Mode, and when I disengage using the steering wheel in certain circumstances, the sound is MUCH louder and includes crackling/distortion. I had been assuming this was a bug where Joe Mode wasn't applied and it was happening over the multimedia speakers, but it may be the same thing you're experiencing (if what I've read is correct, you don't use Joe Mode, and the volume seems similar between the two sounds to you).

This started happening on my 2018 X in June. It's intermittent so I have been assuming it's either a software bug or a speaker is beginning to fail. If it ever progresses to repeatable, I thought I would open a service request

My 2020 Model X started doing the same a few months ago- it seems to be random and not consistently repeatable. Being as it’s being experienced across multiple years and models, likely a software bug, maybe 2 sounds are trying to play over each other when it happens?