Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto window closing and app window control removed in the states. Hope it doesn't cross the pond.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spoke to Elon and he said that Tesla are now using the Tesla vision and occupancy network to detect if any obstacles are occupying the window opening space so are no longer meeting the 100N rule.
I suggest we create a 1600+ post thread to complain about something that hasn't happened yet.
That stopped Tesla's dastardly plans with USS.

Oh wait a minute...

:)

I can't see how this won't equally apply to us, the UNECE Regulation 21 is pretty much word for word the same as the NHTSA requirements.

View attachment 894154

None of this is new regulations, as observed above it would seem that Tesla have failed to comply with the Auto-Reversing requirements despite thinking they had, so now have to apply the more restrictive controls. If another manufacturer had the same they would need to recall all the vehicles to correct the failure.

I posted this in the US thread...

As an engineer used to reading technical standards, this is my 2c...

Firstly, it seems there is nothing new here at all in terms of the requirements! You can roll back the standard five years online and the wording is identical. The requirements themselves look pretty ancient in fact - I've had cars over 20 years old with window systems that seem designed around exactly those or very similar requirements, e.g. needing ignition on, or ignition off but before you open the door, or continuous button press, etc. Note the wording Tesla uses in their message - 'due to recent federal regulations'. Cheeky! Implying new regulations without actually saying 'new', because they aren't new!

The requirements themselves:

S4 gives specific circumstances under which the windows can be closed - e.g. manually, with ignition on, continuous remote button press etc. Under these circumstances you wouldn't even need an auto stop and reverse safety feature

S5 essentially says 'or, you can close a window however and whenever you want provided it has an auto stop and reverse feature that meets the following requirements...'

Tesla (and other manufacturers) systems like close on lock (without continuous press), close from app, etc do not fall under the circumstances of S4, therefore they are relying on an auto stop and reverse feature complying with S5.

So it's reasonably clear that all that has happened here is that Tesla's auto stop and reverse feature has found to be non-compliant with S5. They tried to fix it with an update, but that has not worked and so now they have to disable those features that do not fall under S4.

I was gonna say that could equally apply to Europe if we have similar requirements for window closure, so thanks for digging that up! Looks like there's a good chance that comes over here if indeed Tesla's auto stop and reverse has been found non-compliant and it was not able to be resolved by the update!

Reactions: Mrklaw and BitJam
I was gonna say that could equally apply to Europe if we have similar requirements for window closure, so thanks for digging that up! Looks like there's a good chance that comes over here if indeed Tesla's auto stop and reverse has been found non-compliant and it was not able to be resolved by the update!
If what you've laid out above is correct then we should be pleased if it does make it over here, at least if you put children or animals in your car. A black eye for Tesla, but it will be safety regulations doing the thing they were created for.

All safety regulations are written in blood and all that..

If what you've laid out above is correct then we should be pleased if it does make it over here, at least if you put children or animals in your car. A black eye for Tesla, but it will be safety regulations doing the thing they were created for.

All safety regulations are written in blood and all that..
If the system is faulty i would like Tesla to do a proper recall and fix it. Just disabling stuff we had on our cars when we bought them via OTA is not OK. I am starting to think OTA is a double edged sword!

Reactions: MrBadger
in the UK I didn’t think they could close automatically either? On my last BMW I had to hold the button down while they closed so in theory I was in control of the closing? Still have pinch control too but I assumed the idea was I was close enough to use the remote so I was close enough to see they’re clear?