Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing some automatic window features to comply with NHTSA regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla struggles with this. When we first got our Y, bumpy roads would reverse the windows going up, they were so sensitive.

Then an update came, and they close much more reliably.

We have an early double front window, and single rear window, before they started shipping all 4 double glazed. My guess is they tried to get away with leaving the calibration at the single window setting.

Then they re-calibrated, and maybe went too far? Tricky to use the current draw as a metric relating to a blocked window, the friction in the system can change a lot with freezing vs blazing heat conditions. (I hear they use current draw as the measurement, but not 100% sure).
There's that, but I also assume that since Tesla is constantly tweaking things, they probably have bought window motors from many different people over time, with those motors achieving requirements like mounting threads, size, voltage, max current. But probably not having requirements for subtle things like current per amount of torque, which means your car and my car might be very different. Probably too many in the field to keep track of.

Also just to add I believe this regulation has been in effect for well over a decade. Some RF fobs allowed out of sight window operation and kids were injured. Tesla has just been skirting it calming the cameras could identify kids. I think NHTSA just finally put their foot down.

Key fobs are IR or short range RF and can see your car. With Tesla you can close the windows while in another state.;)
I don't think that's it. The nearby requirement for window closing is smaller than the key fob distance.

My last three Hondas had the ability to open windows from the fob, but not close them. This is probably the reason.

What's going to make people angry with Tesla is that auto close is a feature we had but is being taken away. That's much different from a feature that never existed.

The below recall shows up for my VIN now for a pretty long time. Anyone who already got the OTA update to resolve this?

Capture.JPG