Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AUTOCAR tests the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GSP

Supporting Member
Dec 28, 2007
Tesla Roadster - Autocar.co.uk

Interesting review and comments also. I like Autocar, but they didn't measure acceleration without a passenger, didn't fill in much of their data panel, and didn't mention that a full charge only takes 3.5 hours @ 70 amps.

Still a good read, even after reading hundreds of other Tesla Roadster reviews.

GSP

They do talk about fast charge on tab 2:

The Tesla feels beautifully built; there’s a solid feel to it that’s absent from some low-volume cars. Charging can take up to 14 hours from a 240-volt domestic socket, reduced to under four if you fit a higher-amperage supply at home.

See also this video: Autocar Videos - Autocar.co.uk

Once again a hydrogen supporter turns up immediately in the comments. At least this one was kind enough to let us know that his sister has an FCX Clarity because she works for an 'energy' company.

I'll check the paper version of the magazine. I'd expect them to have a more comprehensive review shortly if this has appeared on the web.

2. Design
The Tesla feels beautifully built; there’s a solid feel to it that’s absent from some low-volume cars. Charging can take up to 14 hours from a 240-volt domestic socket, reduced to under four if you fit a higher-amperage supply at home.

I always knew this but seeing it written like this, I took note.
...and the tub is stiffened by use of the battery pack as a stressed member.
No wonder the pack passed the international drop test. It's more than just a box to hold batteries but a structure-able part of the car.