Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's really that cold, the stock PS4S's are pretty good. I run them anytime it rains because I can't get any heat to stay in any race tire. But I've also run them in the hot and dry for a few runs before switching to Hoosiers at the same events, and I only gained about 3% between 265 PS4S and 295 Hoosiers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Last event of the season was yesterday, and it was a good one... Jay in the GT3 held onto FTD for most of the day as he came out and ran a 27.908 on his very first run and his fastest 27.805 on his 3rd. No one else was in the 27's, I was sitting at a 28.229 and then out of absolutely nowhere Justin ran a 27.501 in his crazy built ex-Gridlife Evo on his 5th run. It was his only clean run as he coned his other 5! Ryan went out and also got into the 27's with a 27.893.

Justin was in my class as EV got bumped in with XSA, the way our season points work I needed to take a class win yesterday to maintain 2nd place in season standings.

I had one run left... I went out and ran a 27.776, enough to bump to 2/78 in raw. I ended up 0.037 behind him in PAX which put me 2/78 in pax and 2nd place in class. I will now finish 3rd in season points but I gotta hand it to him that was a hell of a run. I also finished 2nd in our new driver of the year trophy which is purely pax points based.

Somehow my gopro settings got changed to some ultra wide angle and hypersmoothing on so this video kinda sucks.

Justins car
unnamed (5).jpg

Raw
raw.png

Pax
pax.png

Last edited:
Last event of the season was yesterday
What's up with that Tesla on a stretcher at the start?

Also, what are you guys using to overlay the telemetry? I got myself cheap camera glasses to see how terrible my looking ahead has become, but would like to overlay at least some inputs before I post the video to get roasted.

I tried the 10k/13k spring setup this weekend, and it was decent. Still got beat by a few non-AWD cars despite it being pretty cold. But I did get within 105% cutoff, so I did my part in trying to tank the 2023 PAX.

The RW Ohlins on full soft + tire pressures in low 30s make that setup somewhat tolerable on terrible Michigan roads. So, I'm probably gonna daily it next season, although I'm probably reinstalling my OEM suspension for winter.

Reactions: tm1v2
What's up with that Tesla on a stretcher at the start?

Also, what are you guys using to overlay the telemetry? I got myself cheap camera glasses to see how terrible my looking ahead has become, but would like to overlay at least some inputs before I post the video to get roasted.

I tried the 10k/13k spring setup this weekend, and it was decent. Still got beat by a few non-AWD cars despite it being pretty cold. But I did get within 105% cutoff, so I did my part in trying to tank the 2023 PAX.

The RW Ohlins on full soft + tire pressures in low 30s make that setup somewhat tolerable on terrible Michigan roads. So, I'm probably gonna daily it next season, although I'm probably reinstalling my OEM suspension for winter.
Ha. He was being towed in with a dead battery. I watched the tow truck driver try to figure out how to get it unloaded in a spot it could connect a few times before I left. No idea how that ended up :p

I am using RaceRender with the track mode data files and my gopro video.

Last event of the season was yesterday, and it was a good one... Jay in the GT3 held onto FTD for most of the day as he came out and ran a 27.908 on his very first run and his fastest 27.805 on his 3rd. No one else was in the 27's, I was sitting at a 28.229 and then out of absolutely nowhere Justin ran a 27.501 in his crazy built ex-Gridlife Evo on his 5th run. It was his only clean run as he coned his other 5! Ryan went out and also got into the 27's with a 27.893.

Justin was in my class as EV got bumped in with XSA, the way our season points work I needed to take a class win yesterday to maintain 2nd place in season standings.

I had one run left... I went out and ran a 27.776, enough to bump to 2/78 in raw. I ended up 0.037 behind him in PAX which put me 2/78 in pax and 2nd place in class. I will now finish 3rd in season points but I gotta hand it to him that was a hell of a run. I also finished 2nd in our new driver of the year trophy which is purely pax points based.

Somehow my gopro settings got changed to some ultra wide angle and hypersmoothing on so this video kinda sucks.

Justins car
View attachment 864683

Raw
View attachment 864684

Pax
View attachment 864685
Just looking at this, you know EVs aren't allowed in XA, right? :)

I did my first autocross in the Tesla this past weekend. Did pretty well considering it was my first and only autocross of this season, and I'm still on stock springs and shocks. I was definitely first in the class in my head: "Car that you drive to go skiing". The CSP Miata with Hoosiers and all of the Porsches that beat me certainly aren't in that class :).

Track Mode/autocross question: Track Mode didn't save any videos or data. Reading the Owner's Manual it looks like I need to use the lap timer to have it record video and data. But the start and finish points are different in autocross, so will the car know when the run is finished, and will it record video and data?

'98 Dodge Stratus? Seriously?

No joke this guy has had this car for the last 16 years I've known him. It's got a 6G72 swap.

1666185878912.png

I did my first autocross in the Tesla this past weekend. Did pretty well considering it was my first and only autocross of this season, and I'm still on stock springs and shocks. I was definitely first in the class in my head: "Car that you drive to go skiing". The CSP Miata with Hoosiers and all of the Porsches that beat me certainly aren't in that class :).

Track Mode/autocross question: Track Mode didn't save any videos or data. Reading the Owner's Manual it looks like I need to use the lap timer to have it record video and data. But the start and finish points are different in autocross, so will the car know when the run is finished, and will it record video and data?

Yes you have to drop a finish pin and click Start button before your run. It doesn't have to actually be anywhere important and a lap doesn't even have to start for it to record. I just drop mine across the street and all my logs show lap 0 because the timer never started.

Last edited:
I typically place the start pin right in front of my grid spot, start the timer when motioned to go by the grid worker. Setting the start pin closer to the start usually results in me forgetting to hit 'start.'

• Informative
Reactions: Rodney!