Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to receive a used MX 2018 Long Range - experiences about the real range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've ordered a Tesla pre-owned Model X 2018 (september) Long Range.
It is stated with 565 KM range, but considering the age (5.5 years old), I would expect at least 5-7% less in real range.

Here the details:

• 100D Long Range
  • 4x4
  • Sonic Carbon 20" wheels
  • Premium black interior
  • Dark roof
  • 7 places
  • Tow package
  • Advance autopilot
  • Premium package upgrade (anyone knows what's that ??)
  • Smart air suspension
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Third Row Seats
It has all the most recent features (including one-pedal and open with phone), but of course Intel Atom cpu ... but I've seen that it works pretty fine also with the new features of the last software update.
I have sold my Model Y 2023 yesterday, basically due to the missing 7 places... otherwise I would have kept it.

It has the sensors, so I expect to have finally the Summon, etc. that's cool at the end.

Will pay it 43'600 Swiss Francs (CHF), which appears to be a good price for me.
12 months full Tesla warranty like new.
Battery and power unit warranty until September 2026.

Any experience in the real range of this version?
What about the charging speed at superchargers?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've ordered a Tesla pre-owned Model X 2018 (september) Long Range.
It is stated with 565 KM range, but considering the age (5.5 years old), I would expect at least 5-7% less in real range.

Here the details:

• 100D Long Range
  • 4x4
  • Sonic Carbon 20" wheels
  • Premium black interior
  • Dark roof
  • 7 places
  • Tow package
  • Advance autopilot
  • Premium package upgrade (anyone knows what's that ??)
  • Smart air suspension
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Third Row Seats
It has all the most recent features (including one-pedal and open with phone), but of course Intel Atom cpu ... but I've seen that it works pretty fine also with the new features of the last software update.
I have sold my Model Y 2023 yesterday, basically due to the missing 7 places... otherwise I would have kept it.

It has the sensors, so I expect to have finally the Summon, etc. that's cool at the end.

Will pay it 43'600 Swiss Francs (CHF), which appears to be a good price for me.
12 months full Tesla warranty like new.
Battery and power unit warranty until September 2026.

Any experience in the real range of this version?
What about the charging speed at superchargers?
You are going to be quite disappointed, coming from a 2023 Y.

The 2018 X does not have Smart Air suspension. It does have Air Suspension, and you can set it to low, medium or high, but it is not fully configurable. It does not have One Pedal driving (that came out mid 2019), It also does not have open with phone (Phone as Key did not come out until the 2022 refresh). Enhanced Autopilot generally does not include Summon or FSD features, although I am not sure how things were packaged up in .CH.

The Premium Upgrade Package, included things such as the upgraded sound, better seats. But you listed everything separately it had (later in the year, all of those items became standard).

Range wise, the 2018 was EPA (that is a .US thing) rated to 295 miles (475 km). Expect around 200 miles (320 KM), probably less. Much lower in winter.

Charging tops out around 150-160 kW, even at a 250 kW Supercharger. Much lower in the winter.

Reactions: towndrunk
You are going to be quite disappointed, coming from a 2023 Y.

The 2018 X does not have Smart Air suspension. It does have Air Suspension, and you can set it to low, medium or high, but it is not fully configurable. It does not have One Pedal driving (that came out mid 2019), It also does not have open with phone (Phone as Key did not come out until the 2022 refresh). Enhanced Autopilot generally does not include Summon or FSD features, although I am not sure how things were packaged up in .CH.

The Premium Upgrade Package, included things such as the upgraded sound, better seats. But you listed everything separately it had (later in the year, all of those items became standard).

Range wise, the 2018 was EPA (that is a .US thing) rated to 295 miles (475 km). Expect around 200 miles (320 KM), probably less. Much lower in winter.

Charging tops out around 150-160 kW, even at a 250 kW Supercharger. Much lower in the winter.
Thank you for your extensive answers, much appreciated.
It is a September 2018 for what I remember (now don't have the exact date any more since it disappeared from the pre-owned Tesla web site).

In the specification of the car I have "Smart Air Suspension" written in the contract, so I should expect to have them or is it an error, since all pre-raven MX don't have them?

For the one-pedal drive I'm not concerned ... I switched to it 2 months ago only after 1.5 years of driving and still sometimes had the "suprise" of the automated full-stop when releasing the pedal (I always preferred the slow moving with the brake pedal only like standard automatic cars).

It is a model with USS, so I'd expect Summon to be available, but this is listed as "in the future" for all Model X, whatever the year is.
No FSD features, yes, but these are limited to the recognition of red lights, at least in Switzerland. All the rest is included in the EAP.

I didn't mention that in the features there was also "access without key" listed.
This probably means accessing the car without using the keyfob but having it with me (in a pocket, etc.).
This is not a showstopper anyway... it is really nice to have access via Phone, but it happened to me to have the dead phone due to the battery and having to search for a quick charge to open the car ... (I know, that's me to blame, but oh well).

Charging at 150kW is fine for me (that is the same of MY I had (even if now there are 100 kW to load vs 60...).

Thank you for your extensive answers, much appreciated.
It is a September 2018 for what I remember (now don't have the exact date any more since it disappeared from the pre-owned Tesla web site).

In the specification of the car I have "Smart Air Suspension" written in the contract, so I should expect to have them or is it an error, since all pre-raven MX don't have them?
It has air suspension, yes. But there is no ability to adjust the response curve. Only the height
It is a model with USS, so I'd expect Summon to be available, but this is listed as "in the future" for all Model X, whatever the year is. No FSD features, yes, but these are limited to the recognition of red lights, at least in Switzerland. All the rest is included in the EAP.
You may be limited to just moving the car a few meters forward or backward. Also don't take anything I say as gospel. Software features are likely packaged differently for Europe.
I didn't mention that in the features there was also "access without key" listed.
This probably means accessing the car without using the keyfob but having it with me (in a pocket, etc.).
This is not a showstopper anyway... it is really nice to have access via Phone, but it happened to me to have the dead phone due to the battery and having to search for a quick charge to open the car ... (I know, that's me to blame, but oh well).
No Tesla has ever had a mechanical key in the traditional sense. The 2018 uses a key fob, which is tied hard to the vehicle, and can only be configured by the Service Center. Nothing like the Bluetooth functionality that came with the Model Y. You can unlock the car and drive using cellular, but it should only be considered as a backup method as it involves logging in and entering a password. Definitely not what you are used to on the Model Y.

Charging at 150kW is fine for me (that is the same of MY I had (even if now there are 100 kW to load vs 60...).
Newer Model X charge must faster, easily up to 250 kw.

I can share some screen shots from our TeslaFi account of our ownership with our 2018.

1716563798631.png

1716563830520.png

Here's a few supercharging events.

1716564339804.png

1716564395621.png

It wasn't a fast charging car but I didn't push the range to low before charging. With our new 2023, I'll roll in 10pct or below.

Last one.

1716564694636.png

Anyone know if the automated door opening upon arriving is available already on the 2018 MX ?
I understood that since they removed the USS, this feature became weird and doors just open a little ...
The MX 2018 that I've ordered has USS, so I expect this function to be there, am I right?

No Tesla has ever had a mechanical key in the traditional sense. The 2018 uses a key fob, which is tied hard to the vehicle, and can only be configured by the Service Center. Nothing like the Bluetooth functionality that came with the Model Y. You can unlock the car and drive using cellular, but it should only be considered as a backup method as it involves logging in and entering a password. Definitely not what you are used to on the Model Y.

Yes, I expect that when I have the keyfob in my pocket, car will self open the door when approaching.
Or does this work only after I actively unlock with the keyfob?

In other words, I expect the "access without key" that means like the usual "keyless" feature of all other cars: you unlock just because you approach the car with your key(fob) with you.

Anyone know if the automated door opening upon arriving is available already on the 2018 MX ?
I understood that since they removed the USS, this feature became weird and doors just open a little ...
The MX 2018 that I've ordered has USS, so I expect this function to be there, am I right?
Yes, the 2018 has the feature (actually I think ALL Model X have the feature). The doors may only open a crack if it thinks there is something nearby.

Reactions: John in LB
For normal driving, suspension will be very similar to today's cars... you just don't have the ability to manually set damping and rebound variables on screen.

Key fob works great, driver door opens upon approach. You can also use app from phone to do everything (except unlock car automatically upon approach.)

Summon feature is unimportant in all of these cars... EAP is best otherwise.

Range in real life will be 230-250 miles... with you recharging every ~200 miles.

For normal driving, suspension will be very similar to today's cars... you just don't have the ability to manually set damping and rebound variables on screen.

Key fob works great, driver door opens upon approach. You can also use app from phone to do everything (except unlock car automatically upon approach.)

Summon feature is unimportant in all of these cars... EAP is best otherwise.

Range in real life will be 230-250 miles... with you recharging every ~200 miles.
Hi John,

Thanks, this is definitively a cool feature.
Summon is interesting and I expect it, since the car has USS, let's see... two, max. 3 days to have it, can't wait ...

Btw, did your MX update to the latest 2024.14.x ?
I expect also that the MX 2018 will update to the latest software, for what I see on TeslaFI (many of them already being ugpraded).

Hi John,

Thanks, this is definitively a cool feature.
Summon is interesting and I expect it, since the car has USS, let's see... two, max. 3 days to have it, can't wait ...

Btw, did your MX update to the latest 2024.14.x ?
I expect also that the MX 2018 will update to the latest software, for what I see on TeslaFI (many of them already being ugpraded).
I only purchased EAP, and I do have the MCU upgrade. In addition, at the moment I am in the middle of the 30 day free trial FSD. My software version is currently 2024.14.7.

Don't ask me how FSD performs on this car - I am in another state at the moment and will have missed the entire 30 day FSD experience in the 2017 X car. The EAP works very well and is very comparable in performance to my 2022 model cars (I do use FSD on the other cars and know how that works...)

Let's see, delivery on Thursday afternoon.
Will try and see how it goes ...

Thanks
Very curious to hear how you like it compared to your Y. I've been debating on getting a '19 Performance to replace my wife's car but I'm not sure if it will be a let down compared to a '23 Y. I have driven a '22 LR X before and thought it drove similar to a Y, it didn't feel much bigger to drive it.

Very curious to hear how you like it compared to your Y. I've been debating on getting a '19 Performance to replace my wife's car but I'm not sure if it will be a let down compared to a '23 Y. I have driven a '22 LR X before and thought it drove similar to a Y, it didn't feel much bigger to drive it.
I have a 22 LR X and a 22 LR Y. I have put about 20K miles on each. I would have to disagree with you, the X is substantially bigger and smoother than the Y.

I think the Y is good, but it is not as good as the X. The differences are consistent with the price difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: JKennedy442
I have a 22 LR X and a 22 LR Y. I have put about 20K miles on each. I would have to disagree with you, the X is substantially bigger and smoother than the Y.

I think the Y is good, but it is not as good as the X. The differences are consistent with the price difference.
Thanks for the input. I only had the X for one day, drove it maybe 50 miles. I find the Y to be very smooth (I'd been driving Mustangs and a Volt so maybe that's why) so that's interesting to hear. I don't think I'd be getting the refresh like your '22. The deals are with the '18s-'20s years. Supposedly I could get a '19 perf 7 seater with 61k miles for 38.5k.

I also have a 2017 LR X. I have driven it 75K miles. It also has been very good. In fact, I bought the other 2 because of my positive experience with this car.

I am sure the models between those years are also good. I think how the previous owner took care of the car would be a most important factor. How hard they drove it, supercharging, etc...