Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autodriving Out To Road from Garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No yet and unfortunately these type of 'edge' case FSD will likely be near the last mastered. While it seems easy to us humans it is actually far more complex since it is not rule based driving. Just look at Smart Summon and compare to AP as an example of which works better.

You could try using Smart Summon (not in the car) and place the Pin at the end of the driveway and see what happens. Of course if the results are acceptable she/you can't be in the car and must walk to the end of the driveway.

I've used Smart Summon while sitting in the driver's seat, so that part at least might work. What the car will do is another matter, however. Exiting a garage may be particularly hazardous, as we've seen some cars steer hard left or right while located in the middle of the door opening, because the side of the car has minimal ultrasonic sensor coverage. Once out of the garage, Smart Summon may be unwilling to drive onto the street, as usage is limited to private property, excluding public roadways.

Thanks for the info. What if she stood at the star (where she can see the garage) and chose smart summon.

Path.jpg

Would the car back up and go forward as indicated??

I guess I'll find out when we get it, but I'm curious.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So, I tried this after I washed my car in the driveway this evening. I stood in the road and summoned the car ("come to me"). It powered up like it was about to move, then posted a message on the app about unable to summon onto a public roadway, and powered down. I think the closest it will come is backing to the end of the driveway while remaining on private property.

Thanks for the info. What if she stood at the star (where she can see the garage) and chose smart summon.

View attachment 489697

Would the car back up and go forward as indicated??

I guess I'll find out when we get it, but I'm curious.

Seconding other comments: Definitely do not try this. The car will run into the garage or other obstacle, eventually (you probably won't have to try too much before it happens), resulting in thousands of dollars of damage.

I recommend using Smart Summon only when you are sitting in the car, and even then, NOT in tight quarters where reaction time is an issue.

I tried to use Smart Summon to just have the car back out of my driveway (which is only a car and a half long) and come to me 2 houses away. It didn't take into account the actual driveway and attempted a hard turn halfway and if I hadn't stopped it it would have driven over the curb right where the drain is. Would have easily bottomed out.

I just assumed the cameras evaluated the surroundings before leaving would have parsed out the cement driveway from the grass, etc.

Will NEVER try that again!

Okay, I'll jump in too.

Thanks for the diagram--very helpful. Based on the diagram, I have a few assumptions:
  • The starting position is just outside the garage--the leftmost car picture in your diagram. So none of the worries mentioned above about using it inside the garage.
  • The vertical path on the diagram is still your private property, not a public street. Hence your "to street" callout. So Smart Summon won't feel it's violating any rules.
If those are close to true, then I'll go counter to other advice, and suggest you try it. As always, be ready to stop if it starts doing something wonky. It might do what you want. It might try to turn around in the first piece of the driveway by backing onto the lawn or whatever, and then going forward. It might arrive at the star facing the wrong way (not pointing to street). It might call Elon and ask for help.

In any case, please post back when you get your car. I'm genuinely curious how it'll handle this geometry.

And welcome!