Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autolist: Tesla Model 3 to have best-in-class depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not enough. My 36gallon tank is the greatest invention since the bikini

Also looks gorgeous in a car fire ;)

Seriously, why is it that gasoline vehicles are allowed to just store a big mass of highly flammable fuel in a tank, and that's considered to be good enough? Tesla went through great effort to develop a highly flame-resistant battery pack (cell isolation, active heat quench, passive heat quench, controlled pressure release, etc), and it shows. That was certainly a much harder task than storing gasoline in a way that will resist combustion in an accident. So why do gasoline vehicles get to get away with storing massive amounts of highly flammable fuel just sloshing around freely in a tank, in a manner vulnerable enough that there's a car fire in the US once every two minutes and which kills nearly 500 people per year there? Two cars out of every 1000 in the UK catch fire every year.

Last edited:
How do you pre-heat an EV? Actually I have a gas line and heater in my garage but I have never used it, because I dont mind the cold that much, but my Tesla hates it.

Tesla has hardly started production on M3, yet somehow here we are talking how little and better depreciation is after 100k miles, compared to cars that have been on the road for over a decade.

We're talking about a report from Autolist, which specializes in (among other things) car valuation. Feel free to think they're being unreasonable. But if anyone is qualified to make depreciation estimates based on market surveys and brand past performance, it's Autolist.

Reactions: EinSV

We're talking about a report from Autolist, which specializes in (among other things) car valuation. Feel free to think they're being unreasonable. But if anyone is qualified to make depreciation estimates based on market surveys and brand past performance, it's Autolist.

I was referring to the colds effect on range not my comfort. EV seems to warm the cabin faster then ICE already even without preconditioning.

I was referring to the colds effect on range not my comfort. EV seems to warm the cabin faster then ICE already even without preconditioning.

It does affect range. If you don't heat the cabin and pack on grid power, you're doing it on battery power. And it's a pretty significant drain until it heats up.

You can minimize the losses with range mode - by shutting off pack heating and slowing cabin heating, you delay the heating enough that waste heat can start to do the job for you. The downsides are that the pack won't regen until it warms up enough, and of course people prefer not to have their cabin heating slow. And preheating beats range mode regardless

Regarding the numbers listed in the Autolist data for car depreciation I have to call B.S. !!! I am not questioning that the Tesla Model 3 will/might have better resale value compared to the others. What I am seeing as B.S. is the amount of depreciation they are claiming for all the cars in general. Let's take my car as an example: I have a 2013 Mercedes C class (C250 sedan) with 53,000 miles. According to the Autolist article, a Mercedes C-Class with 50,000 miles under the "projected depreciation" chart should take a 30-35% depreciation hit (with the other cars showing sightly more depreciation and the Model 3 slightly less). The sticker on my car was about $41,000 so based on a 32% depreciation per this chart my car should be worth $27,880. The current top-dollar value for my car based on outstanding condition for a private-party sale is $17,201 and top dealer trade-in value would be $15,005 (based on Edmunds True Market Value appraisal as seen here: Appraise a Used Car at Edmunds.com). Most cars in this entry level luxury segment are going to take at LEAST a 50% depreciation hit at approximately 4 years old and 50,000 miles. Just for fun I ran the Edmunds appraisal again for my car as if it was a 2014 model year (which would make it barely 4 years old as the 2018's are just coming out) and the "outstanding" condition private party value came in at $19,287 which would still be well over 50% depreciation. Even new car dealerships aren't advertising 2013 Mercedes C-class sedans for $27,880.

I fully believe that the Tesla Model 3 will have a better resale value then other comparable entry level luxury class cars. But according to this chart, the Model 3 will only see 50% depreciation at 100,000 miles! I'm sorry, but I have to call B.S. on this!! Anyone have different thoughts on this? If the Model 3 sees less then 50% depreciation after 4 years/50,000 miles it will have outperformed the other cars in it's class in my opinion.

It does affect range. If you don't heat the cabin and pack on grid power, you're doing it on battery power. And it's a pretty significant drain until it heats up.

You can minimize the losses with range mode - by shutting off pack heating and slowing cabin heating, you delay the heating enough that waste heat can start to do the job for you. The downsides are that the pack won't regen until it warms up enough, and of course people prefer not to have their cabin heating slow. And preheating beats range mode regardless

I will definitely try that. I would assume trying to time charging so it ends right before you leave in the morning would help as well? On very cold days in used to seeing 20-30% more wh/mi. I might try that gas heater and see how it impacts that morning drive. I don't mind the cold as long as I'm inside the car and out of the wind and elements, I don't even mind the lack of efficiency, I just don't like to be wasteful.

Regarding the numbers listed in the Autolist data for car depreciation I have to call B.S. !!! I am not questioning that the Tesla Model 3 will/might have better resale value compared to the others. What I am seeing as B.S. is the amount of depreciation they are claiming for all the cars in general. Let's take my car as an example: I have a 2013 Mercedes C class (C250 sedan) with 53,000 miles. According to the Autolist article, a Mercedes C-Class with 50,000 miles under the "projected depreciation" chart should take a 30-35% depreciation hit (with the other cars showing sightly more depreciation and the Model 3 slightly less). The sticker on my car was about $41,000 so based on a 32% depreciation per this chart my car should be worth $27,880. The current top-dollar value for my car based on outstanding condition for a private-party sale is $17,201 and top dealer trade-in value would be $15,005 (based on Edmunds True Market Value appraisal as seen here: Appraise a Used Car at Edmunds.com). Most cars in this entry level luxury segment are going to take at LEAST a 50% depreciation hit at approximately 4 years old and 50,000 miles. Just for fun I ran the Edmunds appraisal again for my car as if it was a 2014 model year (which would make it barely 4 years old as the 2018's are just coming out) and the "outstanding" condition private party value came in at $19,287 which would still be well over 50% depreciation. Even new car dealerships aren't advertising 2013 Mercedes C-class sedans for $27,880.

I fully believe that the Tesla Model 3 will have a better resale value then other comparable entry level luxury class cars. But according to this chart, the Model 3 will only see 50% depreciation at 100,000 miles! I'm sorry, but I have to call B.S. on this!! Anyone have different thoughts on this? If the Model 3 sees less then 50% depreciation after 4 years/50,000 miles it will have outperformed the other cars in it's class in my opinion.
I don't know about your particular model but the article is only listing mileage

The MSRP of a 2016 C300 was $38,950
In outstanding condition at 50,000 miles, For dealer retail it lists $25,562

1 - ($25562 / $38950) = 34% depreciation. That's pretty close to the chart if you ask me.

I don't know about your particular model but the article is only listing mileage
I guess that may be part of the problem. 12-15,000 miles a year would be considered standard miles for used cars. You ran the numbers on a barely 2 years old 2016 Mercedes C with 50,000 miles... that would be 25,000 miles per year, certainly not "average miles" by any stretch! Using the industry standard of 12-15,000 miles a year, a 50,000 mile car would be about 4 years old. A 2 year old 50k mile car is certainly worth more then a 4 year old 50k mile car. If the article is using 25,000 miles a year as it's "average" then it's a misleading chart at best.

Reactions: Swift