Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking Slams on Brakes Often

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
A road I travel frequently has 2 lanes each direction with a turn lane in the middle. The turn lane is used frequently to access the many businesses along the road, and the speed limit is 45. My car slams on the brakes without warning when someone far away turns across the road in front of me from the two-way left turn lane while I am on Autopilot or FSD. It does not release until the car has cleared the path in front of me unless I intervene. The actions are unsafe for drivers behind me. This is usually at distances where the car turning is just appearing in the display -- a long way away. The weather is clear, sunny days. I have Following Distance set to 1, and emergency obstacle warnings set to low, but I do not think these settings have any bearing. This is a 2020 S LR, 6/2020 build, with latest software. Any suggestions?

Reactions: systemBuilder
Thanks for the suggestion. Living in a small town in Kentucky, I have noticed the map data and speed limits haven't been updated in about 10 years. Road patterns, lanes, and speed limits that have not changed in many years are still old data. The new speed limit sign reading feature has helped with speed limits, but I do not see how I will ever reach FSD without updated map data. This would not be a problem on Interstates or heavily travelled roads like they have on the coasts and in large cities.

Reactions: GasKilla
Thanks for the suggestion. Living in a small town in Kentucky, I have noticed the map data and speed limits haven't been updated in about 10 years. Road patterns, lanes, and speed limits that have not changed in many years are still old data. The new speed limit sign reading feature has helped with speed limits, but I do not see how I will ever reach FSD without updated map data. This would not be a problem on Interstates or heavily travelled roads like they have on the coasts and in large cities.
I was recently in for service and the technician told me that the maps and nav was completely a google product so the maps should be as accurate as what google has online. I have AP1 and it seems that whatever speed the camera reads supersedes what is listed on the map database. If you have the option to share your AP data checked “yes” hopefully before too long your normal driving routes will be updated with Tesla and google maps.

Reactions: DerbyDave
A road I travel frequently has 2 lanes each direction with a turn lane in the middle. The turn lane is used frequently to access the many businesses along the road, and the speed limit is 45. My car slams on the brakes without warning when someone far away turns across the road in front of me from the two-way left turn lane while I am on Autopilot or FSD. It does not release until the car has cleared the path in front of me unless I intervene. The actions are unsafe for drivers behind me. This is usually at distances where the car turning is just appearing in the display -- a long way away. The weather is clear, sunny days. I have Following Distance set to 1, and emergency obstacle warnings set to low, but I do not think these settings have any bearing. This is a 2020 S LR, 6/2020 build, with latest software. Any suggestions?

You may want to change the title of this thread. This is normal (abnormal?) phantom braking on autopilot, which is discussed extensively throughout these forums. AEB is a totally different feature and operates without AP engaged. It is extremely rare (happened to me once in five years and 175,000 miles) and is accompanied by a message on the IC indicating it is active.

You may want to change the title of this thread. This is normal (abnormal?) phantom braking on autopilot, which is discussed extensively throughout these forums. AEB is a totally different feature and operates without AP engaged. It is extremely rare (happened to me once in five years and 175,000 miles) and is accompanied by a message on the IC indicating it is active.

I though AEB gives a warning. This just slams on the brakes with no warnings until the car crossing in front of me has cleared the lane, at over 100 feet, maybe 200 feet in front of me. The AEB is set to the lowest sensitivity. Other cars I have owned don't apply the brakes until the object is very close. Also when coming up to a stop sign, the car's brake seem delayed, and then they grab so hard it sounds like the ABS is engaged. Braking and sounds occur that are not present under human braking. This is a new car.

Reactions: systemBuilder
I though AEB gives a warning. This just slams on the brakes with no warnings until the car crossing in front of me has cleared the lane, at over 100 feet, maybe 200 feet in front of me. The AEB is set to the lowest sensitivity. Other cars I have owned don't apply the brakes until the object is very close. Also when coming up to a stop sign, the car's brake seem delayed, and then they grab so hard it sounds like the ABS is engaged. Braking and sounds occur that are not present under human braking. This is a new car.
You don't set the sensitivity of AEB, that's a different feature as well. You are referring to front collision warning. Which, again, is separate from autopilot.

But, since you said you are operating on FSD/AP, it is an AP policy you are referring to, not AEB or FCW.

• Helpful
Reactions: DerbyDave